The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7392 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7395 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7400 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7413 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7429 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7432 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7434 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7473 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7490 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7584 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7429 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7434 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7584 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 7490 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

HP 48GX vs HP49G

I am a working structural engineer who has utilized the HP-41CX with a card reader and the structural analysis pac for the last 15 years. I use the structure pac every day. I also do some of my own programming, which I have saved to cards.

For various reasons, I am looking at upgrading to an HP-48GX or an HP-49G. I have found a similar structural analysis pac from Da Vinci which is applicable to the HP-48GX.

Is there a structural analysis pac available for the HP-49G? I have not been able to find one even though I have read adds for the HP-49G which state, "...lets you benefit from the biggest and most comprehensive library of third party calculator programs..."

Where does one find this library of programs and how do they get installed into the HP-49G? I am sorry for my ignorance. I have been out of the calculator market for
quite some time.

I would appreciate any comments as to the pros and cons of the HP48GX and the HP49G for the engineering applications I have described above.

Dear Tim,

I'm a structural engineer too and I think I can tell you some impressions for beeing a user
of a 48GX and a 49G.

In my humble opinion,

The HP48GX pros are,
1-Many libraries for structural analysis such for checking stresses on trusses, beams, columns,
slabs and foundations, and many of them with no cost, just download it and install on 48GX.
2-Two slots, like the four HP41 ports, let the user expands and freely change applications
cards easily and fast.
3-IR port. We can send and recieve data between two HP 48G's machine and print on the thermal
portable printer.
4-Formulas lib's are very useful.
5-Price. For about US$ 130,00 you can buy one of them.

The HP48GX cons are,
1-Machine is very slow if compared to a 49G.
2-LCD contrast is the one of its weakness.
3-Memory. Only 128K ram for applications don't let us much free space for testing news libraries
without have to detach others.
4-No connectivity kit included.
5-Included manuals are incredible poor and dim.

The HP49G pros are,
1-Machine is astonishing fast
2-LCD contrast is much better than 48G
3-Memory. 241K IRAM, 255K ERAM and 940K Flash. Total 1.43 MB
4-Fast 3D graphics. Really realtime rotation
5-We don't have to buy a 49G"X". The rom is flashrom and can be upgraded with new roms versions
when they become avaliable on hp site.

The HP49G cons
1-The keyboard is simply stupid. They are made of rubber, like the old sinclair's spectrum.
2-No IR. We can't print on hp portable printer.
3-No card slots. It seems that the processor can't address more than we have on this calc
4-No much libraries for structural analysis. We are lucky if we find something on this
subject specially designed for the 49G. We have to do ourserlves what we need. Only UserRPN codes
are compatible with the two HP's. Libraries compiled for 48 can't be run on a 49 and vice versa.
5-Included manual is the worst made by human being.

In resume, the best calculator for structural analysis is a 49G with a huge structural libraries
of a 48GX, a keyboard, color and a neverending magic of a 41C series.

Pio

But the 48GX has two expansion slots, and can merge in up to 256 KB more memory, as well as, with the 1 MB card, storing an additional 896 KB of libraries in 7 banks, or a maximum of 9 banks with 1152 KB RAM. Libraries don't have to be in "active" memory. Nor do static variables or applications.

All you wrote don't come inside the box when you buy a new 48GX and you have to pay about 4 times you spent with your 48GX just for the addons and you have to install the MetaKernel in one of the cards to beat the power of a 49G itself.

Thanks for the info on the HP48GX vs the HP49G. It seems that the HP49G has much more potential but far fewer applications as yet compared to the HP48GX. Do you see that changing in the near future?

As a structural engineer, I do most of my design/analysis work on a desk top PC, but I do like to have the structural pac on board my calculator for small problems.

I contacted da Vinci Technologies about their time frame for upgrading their structral pac from the 48GX to the 49G. They said they have been "reluctant" to do so because "the overall business level for the HP 49G has been very disappointing".

It will be interesting to see how it all progresses.

Tim

Software will more likely be developed and supported for the HP48 rather than for the HP 49 because on the former it can take the form of a harware device (a card), less prone to being unlawfully copied.
On the HP49 applications must be provided as a file, so the risk is much higher for quite expensive (and quality) professional packages.

I have both but still use the 48g most. Why? Because the damn enter key on the 49 is small and in the corner where the equals key is on algerbraic calcs (which is also what the 49 can be). The quality of the keyboard on the 49g is okay, but I like the 48g's keyboard better (the 48g's keyboard is the same type as your 41).
Speed? both are fine for general number crunching. The 49 is faster at CAS manipulation and diffeq's as 48 but neither is a barnburner, since both still use a 4 MHz clock and the saturn processor that was released about the same time as the 41cv (I don't need to hear about great engineering and forsight, I acknowledge that).

If $$$ are not an issue the 48gx with expansion cards can cost 2-3 times what a 49 can cost but there is so much free great quality software that can do whatever you need, that it still is the most powerful calc available today.

Tommorrow??, Well the hype on the 49 is just that at the moment, however eventually, the software will catch up and the memory is much greater than an out of the box 48. Its potential is greater. But that is just it. If you need a solution today, buy the 48.

todo quieres buey omprate una computadora

Another few personal points about the 48 vs 49 (I have both) are:

I would not like to drop the '49 as the case looks quite weak (especially around the display). I'm not suggesting you drop the '48 but I think it would survive a whole lot better. (My '49s case has started to 'creak' when pressing the enter key.)

The '49 display is a higher contrast but also has an easy to scratch cover that reflects the light making the display hard to read. (The clear cover may be necessary because the case is not strong enough without it). The screen cover may be harder to scratch on later HP49's, mine is an early model.

The keyboard text colours are stupid too as red and blue text on a metalic blue back-ground are impossible to read in some lighting conditions.

Because the HP49's software keeps changing the manuals soon go out of date requiring the owner to re-download an entire set (HP number the pages one after the other, not in sections so a single page change ups the page number of every page after it AND makes the index obsolete :-(. The manuals are also poor unless you are an HP48/49 expert.

All in all the '49 is probably more suited to a classroom environment. In the rough and tumble of work I'd go for the '48 every time (even if it costs more - with memory cards - what is the cost if it stops working part way through a job?)

Sorry - the manuals on HP's web page ARE numbered in sections. However the part I was thinking of is the CAS and other commands section which is a chunk of about 430 pages long. If any of these commands change then the old documentation becomes obsolete and the user has to down load and print out (for a mobile copy) 400 odd pages :-(

PS HP say the pocket guide is version 1.2 on the web page, but when you down load it the document says version 2.0! (So much for the user trying to keep track of what documents are at what version and saving some trees in the process)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 7 and HP 48GX Nico Tak 12 3,345 03-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  HP 48GX Squeaky Anthony (USA) 3 1,495 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Anthony (USA)
  HP ALERT for HP49G+/HP50 Mike Reed 1 1,130 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  HP ALERT for HP49G+/HP50 Mike Reed 2 1,249 09-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Bart (UK)
  Hp 48GX Screen all4abuck 2 1,182 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Hal Bitton in Boise