HP-67 Key Strokes

I am trying to enter the base conversion program listed here and listed there are a couple of things I don't know how to key in. What key strokes do I use for the following;

Line   Key     My guess
031 PRT SPC
043 X!=Y?
072 PRTX (f R/S) or -X-
080 X<>Y (h 7)?
081 X>Y?
135 X<=Y?
138 X!=0?

Is there a list some where?

Thanks, David

Hi, David;

these "regular" characteres help a lot when you have no equivalent to the "non-regular" characters found in some calculators.

In the HP67, you have:

PRT SPC -> try [h][R/S]; you'll see the [SPACE] inscription in the key frontface;
X!=Y? -> this is: "X not-equal to Y?"; try [g][+]
PRTX -> this is Print X; not so easy to "guess": try [f][R/S]. The [-X-] stands for Print X;
X<>Y -> this is "X exchanges Y" (contents only); try [h][7]
X>Y? -> try [g][÷]
X<=Y? -> try [g][×]
X!=0? -> again: "X not-equal to zero?"; try [f][+]

In fact, all comparisons with the "?" are the same as the ones without the "?" in the keyboard; the fact is that they are supposed to "ask" if the comparison is true of false, but the keyboard has no "?" sign. Maybe that's why you did not link them with each other. The "!=" (not equal to) is easier to realise when you have already programmed in C or C++ ;^)

Hope this helps. If you still need advice, let us know.

Success.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 6 Apr 2004, 11:14 p.m.

Hi;

just to add that (somehow obvious...) as the HP67 doesn't have a printer, the following functions are "related" to the actual printing functions available with the HP97:

HP97        HP67
PRT SPC -> "do nothing"; just for card reader equivalency purposes
PrtX -> halts program execution for about five seconds while showing X-register contents
Prt Stack -> automatic review of stack-registers' contents
Maybe you already know about these equivalences; if so, just disregard.

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

I re inputted the program listing and it still would not run. I took the listing and put it in a spread sheet and as I keyed in the program I recorded what was on the display. Then stepped through it just to make sure there were no typos. All looks as it should.

I made a chart with the keystrokes and display readings at
http://www.smrn.com/dsmith/HP-67%20Base%20Conversion.pdf

Edited: 8 Apr 2004, 11:22 p.m.

Hello, David;

I typed the Base Conversion program in an HP97 and ran it. I had problems as well, but I identified them so I want to post about this particular experience.

The HP67 has some "particular" key sequences that allow the insertion of labels from a to e and set branching to these labels as well. I take these sequences as "tricky", but they are in fact, clever seqeunces. If you want to add any label from a to e you need to use:

[g][LBLf] {[A to [E]}
. If you want to add a call to any of these labels as if they were subroutines you need to use:
[g][GSBf] {[A to [E]}
. But if you want to simply add a jump to any of these labels, you can add:
[GTO][f][{[A] to [E]}
. I guess that as you get acquainted to the HP67, these procedures become more intuitive and less "weird". As I don't have an HP67 (I have an HP97), I cannot say that based on any previous experience... What I can tell you is that I wrongly typped both in the HP97 when reading the listigns (shame on me...) and the proram stopped with [ Error ] message. it took me some time to figure out what was going wrong...

Please, have a look at the pdf files I wrote, included in HP67_baseconv.zip. You can download them from here. They show the Base Conversion program in a different "way". Let me know what you think.

BTW: there may be errors in these listings as well; if anyone detect any, please, let me know so I can correct it.

Thanks.

Luiz (Brazil)

Luiz,

As always, you did a impressive work. Did you develop fonts for the LED key codes, and for the 67 keystrokes ?

Renato

Hello, Renato; thank you very much. I'm glad you liked it!

Yeap! They are "mine" (at least I draw them...) I draw the characters with the use of CorelDRAW! The 7-segment LED TTF in both PDF was also rewritten today. I enhanced the space between characters and added a [.] (dot) and [,] (comma) that can be added between characters. The original TTF had only the original classic "dot" that occupies the space equivalent to one character. Soon I'll be posting about them.

The keyset is not exactly for the HP67, it's meant to be a general-purpose keyset font. Please, have a look at this pdf and you'll see what is this about.

I'm redrawing the font for printers: HP82143A and both sets for the HP82240, the ECMA 94 set and the ROMAN 8. There is a TTF available for the HP82143A at the MoHPC (look here)but I'll replace it for the new one. It does not look the way characters are actually printed.

I'm also finishing a TTF for the HP42S and I intend to go further. To be honest, I also draw four other fonts suitable for all HP48/49 standard characters, but they were created as ordinary fonts and must be completely "reloaded" as symbol fonts. Any suggestions?

Renato, do you want to try these already existing TTF? Please, guys, anyone reading this post that want to try them, be my guest. I'd never be "building" these fonts if there is no HP calculator, and you (us), as users, are the ones HP are producing them for. If someone had these fonts available and I did not write them, I'd like to have them, too. I'll let them available to download from the following links:

Key Set TTF

7-segment LED display characters TTF

The keyset seems to be complete, but characters may be added anytime (there's a lot of "free space"). I think I'll add those rounded cursor keys available with the new HP48 and HP49 soon, and I'll let you know about this. Also there is a "up arrow" missing to refer to the HP27S and HP17/19B softkeys. I'll add it, too.

As the other TTF are available at the MoHPC, I'll ask Dave to have these new ones, too. I'm just finishing them and I'll send the complete pack. Is that O.K. for you, Dave?

I hope you like them. Please Renato, folks, use them as you wish. No need to mention my name or origin. I'd like to see as many papers as possible with them. Also, I'd like to thank Tony Hutchins whose inspiring comments and suggestions allowed me to enhance the key set.

Best regards.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 10 Apr 2004, 10:33 p.m.

That looks much better than my listing. I verfied that I have keyed in the program as stated but it still will not run :-( I guess I will keep looking. -- This all started when I fixed the gummy wheel problem and was able to read cards. I bought a bunch of blanks as was going to put various programs on them and the conversion looked like it would be a good one to have but.... I am wondering if there is a book where these probrams are available? As I understand it when these calculators were popular HP had a library of these things and I wonder if they are available in book form? Cheers, David

Hi, David;

I am willing to help you the way I can and you need; please, keep posting so we can identify what's going wrong, O.K.?

I succeed running the base-convertion in my HP97, as I mentioned in previous post. Have you checked key codes? When I first loaded the program, it didn't ran because I typed three [g][GSBf] instead of [g][LBLf]. As the program stopped at each [g][GSBf] without the equivalent [g][LBLf], it was easy to correct. After that, a [RCL]D instead of a [RLC]C (line# 037) caused wrong results. I'm posting this because it happened to me, and maybe it will help you, too.

About programs: do you already have the MoHPC CD set? It's crowded of application books that might give you a good source of information. These are the titles available for the HP67 in PDF format (I openned some of them and they have program listings from an HP97 printer):

HP-67 Aeronautical Engr. (UL) . . .  (CD 4)
HP-67 Aircraft Operation (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Antennas (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Astrology (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Avigation (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Business Decisions . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Butterworth and Chebyshev (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 COGO Surveying (UL) . . . (CD 6)
HP-67 Chemistry (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Clinical Lab & Nuclear Med. Pac . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Control Systems (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 E.E. Pac 1 . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 EE (Lab) (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Energy Conservation (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Games (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Games Pac 1 . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Games of Chance (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Geometry . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 High Lvl Math (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Home Construct. Est. (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Home Management (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Industrial Engineering (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 M.E. pac 1 . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Math Pac 1 . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Navigation Pac 1 . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Optics (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Options & Tech Stock (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Photo Dark Room (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Physics (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Portfolio Mgmt. Bonds & Notes (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Real Estate Investment (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Reliability/QA (UL) . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Space Science . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Stat pac 1 . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Surveying Pac 1 . . . (CD 4)
HP-67 Thermal & Transport Sci. (UL) . . . (CD 4)

Hope this helps for now.

Let us know if you succeed or if you need further help.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 14 Apr 2004, 10:24 a.m.

David;

send me an e-mail with your actual address and I'll send you a card with the program recorded on it. I am not sure if the post office's devices will "destroy" the magnetic information contained in the card, but we can try this.

My e-mail is:

lcvieira@quantica.com.br

If you know someone else that can do it inside the USA, it would be better. I mentioned the post offices because as USA internal security is a lot more concerned about anything that comes from other countries, maybe packages sent from within the USA will not be so deeply scanned for metal contents, so magnetic information is not so easily lost in this case.

Let me know what do you want.

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 15 Apr 2004, 12:57 a.m.

Luiz,

I sent an email to the address listed on 4/15, here is the text;

I have checked the LED listing with yours and I have a question on step 045. The step shows (RCL C) and the LED for that is [34 13] when you key it in. Your listing shows [34 14] which when keyed in is (RCL D)

If I can get a correct listing and manage to key it in correctly I should be able to make it run. I don't know anyone around me with one of these 67's.

Cheers, David

Hi, David;

You're right. The LED representation is wrong, but the keystroke is correct. I'll update the file ASAP (very soon).

I checked it many times based on the HP67 image (key position) and, when needed, I looked at the information found in Appendix E, "Calculator Functions and Keycodes", P.324 of the "HP67 Owner's Handbook and Programming Guide". Mine is dated December 1976, Revision C.

I typed the program in an HP97 and checked if the keycodes were correct. When the program ran correctly, I took the original listing from the MoHPC Forum, added/removed the necessary characters and changed font type so it looked like an HP67 keystroke listing. Then I manually added the keycodes and checked as many times as I thought there were nothing wrong. I have a spreadsheet build by one of the forum contributors, but I did not find it in my computers hard disks (about ten HD's)... I'd rather checking my own listing once more.

Thank you for pointing this typo out. I hope this is the last one d;^)

BTW, the program should run correctly with [RCL] C in step #45, keycode [34 13] (I am with my HP97 in hands right now and I loaded with the program that is already recorded in a magnetic card; it runs perfectly fine and step #45 is indeed [RCL] C). Didn't you manage to run it O.K.? Remember: a magnetic card with a program recorded in an HP97 can be read and ran perfectly well in an HP67 and conversely. Both have interchangeable software. I ensure you that the Conversion Program ran fine in my HP97, and I recorded it on a magnetic card that can be used in your HP67.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

(in time: I did not see your e-mail, maybe it's been inadvertently trashed somewhere in the transfer)

Edited: 21 Apr 2004, 12:34 a.m.

"R/S" is a good substitute for the PRT command on an HP-97.

I don't know what "X!=Y?" represents, other than a typing error. Same for "X!=0?" They _probably_ mean "X is not equal to Y" and "X is not equal to zero", but the notation used is from the C programming language.

The "X<>Y", "X>Y", and "X<=Y" are all directly available on the HP-67 keyboard. The "not equals" relation, shown here as "X<>Y", is represented on the keyboard by "X (equals sign with a slash through it)Y".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime - EEX/X/Toolbox-key suggestions bluesun08 2 1,500 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bluesun08
  HP PRIME : strange behavior when trying user key capability Damien 12 3,855 11-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Joe Horn
  HP PRIME: How to use [a b/c] key from a program Joseph Ec 4 1,866 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Joseph Ec
  Roll-down key in HP-15C Steve Ross 6 2,231 10-15-2013, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Nick_S
  HP-15 LE Key repair question Namir 2 1,425 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Namir
  HP calculators: origin of prefix key labels f and g M Habl 9 2,743 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Gerson W. Barbosa
  HP Key Notes Programmes? Michael Lopez 0 926 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Michael Lopez
  HP-97 Key Contact Repair Adventure LHH 0 976 06-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Last Post: LHH
  WP-34s: Missed key strokes? W. Bruce Maguire II 12 3,046 04-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  HP 9826A key switches David Ramsey 3 1,316 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Last Post: David Ramsey