Need help understanding math....



#7

Hello,

I am trying to follow up on a question that I have had for a long time on the HP48 code for the complex acos and asin
functions...

The comment says to test against 1/sqrt(2), but the code tests against 0.7!

It looks to me that the 2 cases are there to improve precision in upper and lower octants, and that having the midpoint a
little bit off is of little to no consequences, but I wanted to see what the math guru in the forum thought about it.

cyrille

* Q := y^2/(sqrt((|x|+1)^2 + y^2) + (|x|+1))
* R := sqrt((|x|-1)^2 + y^2) +||x|-1|
* S := y^2/R if R<>0, 0 otherwise
* M := Q+R if |x|>=1, Q+S otherwise
* P := Q+S if |x|>=1, Q+R otherwise
* B := 2*x/(M+2)
* C := sqrt((P/(M+2))*(2-(P/(M+2))))
* sg(y,x) := sgn(y) if y<>0, -sgn(x) otherwise
* IM := sg(y,x)*lnp1((M/2) + sqrt((M/2)*((M/2)+2))) (sign replacement)
*
* { arccos(B) |B| <= (1/sqrt(2))
* RE1 := { arcsin(C) |B| > (1/sqrt(2)) and B >= 0
* { pi - arcsin(C) |B| > (1/sqrt(2)) and B < 0
*
* RE2 := { arcsin(B) |B| <= (1/sqrt(2))
* { sgn(B)*arccos(C) |B| > (1/sqrt(2)) (sign replacement)
*

:: C%>%% 2DUP DUP %%*SWAP %%ABS DUP %%1+ DUPDUP %%* 4PICK %%+
%%SQRT %%+ 3PICKSWAP %%/ OVER %%1 %%- %%ABS DUPDUP %%* 5PICK
%%+ %%SQRT %%+ 4ROLLOVER DUP %%0<>
ITE
%%/
:: 2DROP %%0 ;
UNROTOVER %%+ UNROT %%+ ROT %%1 %%< ?SKIPSWAP DUP %%2 %%+ ROTOVER
%%/ %%2 OVER %%- %%* %%SQRT 5PICK DUP %%+ ROT %%/ ROT %%2 %%/ DUP
%%2 %%+ OVER %%* %%SQRT %%+ %%LNP1 5ROLL 5ROLL DUP %%0=
ITE :: DROP %%0< ; :: SWAPDROP %%0>= ;
?SKIP %%CHS
UNROTDUP
%%ABS %%.7 %%<= case :: SWAPDROPDUP %%ACOSRAD SWAP %%ASINRAD ;
SWAPDUP %%ASINRAD SWAP %%ACOSRAD %%ABS
ROT %%0>= ?SEMI
%%CHS %%PI ROT %%- SWAP
;

Edited: 9 Dec 2013, 1:46 p.m.


#8

Edited for legibility:

Quote:
Hello,

I am trying to follow up on a question that I have had for a long time on the HP48 code for the complex acos and asin
functions...

The comment says to test against 1/sqrt(2), but the code tests against 0.7!

It looks to me that the 2 cases are there to improve precision in upper and lower octants, and that having the midpoint a
little bit off is of little to no consequences, but I wanted to see what the math guru in the forum thought about it.

cyrille

* Q := y^2/(sqrt((|x|+1)^2 + y^2) + (|x|+1))
* R := sqrt((|x|-1)^2 + y^2) +||x|-1|
* S := y^2/R if R<>0, 0 otherwise
* M := Q+R if |x|>=1, Q+S otherwise
* P := Q+S if |x|>=1, Q+R otherwise
* B := 2*x/(M+2)
* C := sqrt((P/(M+2))*(2-(P/(M+2))))
* sg(y,x) := sgn(y) if y<>0, -sgn(x) otherwise
* IM := sg(y,x)*lnp1((M/2) + sqrt((M/2)*((M/2)+2))) (sign replacement)
*
* { arccos(B) |B| <= (1/sqrt(2))
* RE1 := { arcsin(C) |B| > (1/sqrt(2)) and B >= 0
* { pi - arcsin(C) |B| > (1/sqrt(2)) and B < 0
*
* RE2 := { arcsin(B) |B| <= (1/sqrt(2))
* { sgn(B)*arccos(C) |B| > (1/sqrt(2)) (sign replacement)
*

:: C%>%% 2DUP DUP %%*SWAP %%ABS DUP %%1+ DUPDUP %%* 4PICK %%+
%%SQRT %%+ 3PICKSWAP %%/ OVER %%1 %%- %%ABS DUPDUP %%* 5PICK
%%+ %%SQRT %%+ 4ROLLOVER DUP %%0<>
ITE
%%/
:: 2DROP %%0 ;
UNROTOVER %%+ UNROT %%+ ROT %%1 %%< ?SKIPSWAP DUP %%2 %%+ ROTOVER
%%/ %%2 OVER %%- %%* %%SQRT 5PICK DUP %%+ ROT %%/ ROT %%2 %%/ DUP
%%2 %%+ OVER %%* %%SQRT %%+ %%LNP1 5ROLL 5ROLL DUP %%0=
ITE :: DROP %%0< ; :: SWAPDROP %%0>= ;
?SKIP %%CHS
UNROTDUP
%%ABS %%.7 %%<= case :: SWAPDROPDUP %%ACOSRAD SWAP %%ASINRAD ;
SWAPDUP %%ASINRAD SWAP %%ACOSRAD %%ABS
ROT %%0>= ?SEMI
%%CHS %%PI ROT %%- SWAP
;



#9

thanks, I tried 4 times but could not get it to take my CR properly!

cyrille


#10

Once read that rats learn it with four times ;-) SCNR

#11

You just need to enclose your formatted text between [pre] and [/pre] tags.

#12

I don't understand the comments in this code. What are Q, R, S, M, P, B, and C? Is RE1 the real part of stack level 1? RE2 is real part of stack level 2? IM is imaginary part of... both?

Just curious.
Dave


#13

cf. A little help understanding math....

HTH

Thomas

#14

I've not put any effort into investigating this and am really just guessing, however I suspect that your intuition here is correct. That area of the sine and cosine functions is pretty smooth and well behaved -- essentially linear over the reals and I don't think it goes weird as one moves away from the real line.

I'd guess it was a case of 0.7 being an existing constant that was near enough. Depending on how the comparison is coded, it might be very slightly faster too but unlikely enough to notice.


- Pauli


#15

Quote:
I'd guess it was a case of 0.7 being an existing constant that was near enough. Depending on how the comparison is coded, it might be very slightly faster too but unlikely enough to notice.
Actually the constant is defined in that code slice, and not a call to a constant defined elsewhere, thus saving one pointer resolution time cycle.

I'm confident the common code for complex ASIN and ACOS dates back to the Paladin, so could simply be a LISARIF (Bill Wickes)


#16

Quote:
I'm confident the common code for complex ASIN and ACOS dates back to the Paladin, so could simply be a LISARIF (Bill Wickes)

Some decoding for people who - like me - would need it:
  • Paladin: internal hp code name for the HP-28C
  • LISARIF: "Life is Short and ROM is Full" a famous quote from Bill Wickes (see the original source)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OT: a math competition site Pier Aiello 0 242 09-16-2013, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Pier Aiello
  Simple Math Question Namir 2 332 08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Cool math clock Bruce Bergman 28 1,861 04-10-2013, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Siegfried (Austria)
  Math Challenge I could not solve Meindert Kuipers 22 1,516 01-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Thomas Klemm
  Math Question Namir 0 201 11-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Namir
  Understanding HP-16C integer division Jimi 18 1,237 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Survey for Special Math Problem Namir 7 639 06-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Namir
  math question Don Shepherd 22 1,319 04-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Don Shepherd
  Math Help!! Namir 10 754 04-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Allen
  go41cx overlay Math module Alexander Oestert 12 913 02-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Last Post: Alexander Oestert

Forum Jump: