Minor suggestions for next edition of WP-34S manual



#6

Currently, in the central part of the footer on every page, it gives the edition. This is not really that useful. I would find it helpful, especially in the printed edition, if the footer indicated the current chapter name, or the appendix name. It makes scrolling through the online document (or flipping through the printed one) easier.

Also, I much prefer the common page numbering scheme which has separate page numbers for the appendices rather than the unified one used now. (E.g. page A-1 for first page of appendix A, B-1 for first page of appendix B, etc.) That way, when there is a reference to another page in the text, it is immediately obvious which section of the book you are being referred to, and I find that useful.

Marcel


#7

Quote:
Currently, in the central part of the footer on every page, it gives the edition. This is not really that useful. I would find it helpful, especially in the printed edition, if the footer indicated the current chapter name, or the appendix name. It makes scrolling through the online document (or flipping through the printed one) easier.

You're right, it was more useful when we had new editions every some weeks. I'll try to find a semiautomatic way to fulfill your request - else the central part may be deleted.
Quote:
Also, I much prefer the common page numbering scheme which has separate page numbers for the appendices rather than the unified one used now. (E.g. page A-1 for first page of appendix A, B-1 for first page of appendix B, etc.) That way, when there is a reference to another page in the text, it is immediately obvious which section of the book you are being referred to, and I find that useful.

I don't. A common page numbering scheme is more convenient in almost every aspect, especially it eases finding the page you're looking for.

d:-)


#8

Walter wrote:

Quote:
I don't. A common page numbering scheme is more convenient in almost every aspect, especially it eases finding the page you're looking for.

Wow!. That's interesting. I guess I use a manual differently from you. Over time, I get fairly familiar with a manual so that I know that Chapter XX or Appendix XX covers a particular topic. Knowing this, I can then quickly thumb through the manual, looking for a particular Chapter or Appendix. This is made easy if the page numbering reflects the Chapter Number and the Appendix.

Of course, I'm referring to using a printed manual. But I do use the same technique with a pdf - just page quickly until I get to the wanted section. I find that this can be faster than always going back to the Table of Contents to locate the link to the section.

Just one man's opinion. Other opinions will likely vary.

Since I don't have a 34S, I'm not concerned with its manual. Just wanted to share with you how someone else might want to use a manual.


Bill

#9

Btw, any idea on when the next edition will be out?


#10

Significantly less than 100 prints are sold so far ...

d:-(


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WP-34S] Unfortunate key damage with update to V3 :( svisvanatha 5 337 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Les Bell
  WP-34S (Emulator Program Load/Save) Barry Mead 1 178 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  DIY HP 30b WP 34s serial flash/programming cable Richard Wahl 2 245 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Barry Mead
  HP Prime: First 4 Weeks -- Suggestions James Williams 4 209 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Chris Pem10
  WP 34S/43 ?'s Richard Berler 3 270 11-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  My FrankenCulator (wp-34s) FORTIN Pascal 4 289 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Last Post: FORTIN Pascal
  WP 34S Owner's Handbook Walter B 5 429 11-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Harald
  Another minor Prime hexagesimal issue Jonathan Cameron 1 157 11-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  wp 34s overlay and programming. FORTIN Pascal 6 347 11-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Nick_S
  HP Prime - EEX/X/Toolbox-key suggestions bluesun08 2 211 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bluesun08

Forum Jump: