(updated)somehow O.T. but chances are some of you might like it...



#4

... or be inspired to try it out.

Rescuing a 7-segment display in a vintage DIY assembly. (one of my photobucket collections)

I will add the SMD resistor this weekend and add the pictures to the existing ones. BTW, I used a magnifier to check the final SMD soldering and its positioning, but I neither use it to the soldering nor to the positioning itself, just the bare eyes and a hand tweezer. I am telling this because I do not know if you think it can be done. Either I did it because I didn't know it could not be done or because I thought I could. Anyway, it can be done!

As for another note, believe me I only throw away what I conclude that has no use at all, and if I know it can be used elsewhere - or by someone else - I try to make it work somehow or try to make it get there.

The little CA3161/3162 multimeter was built in the 80's and was inside of a cardboard box. It worked at the very moment I connected it to a suitable 5Vcc power source, except for the already mentioned b-segment. Now I'll find it a suitable case and rebuilt it. I'll keep it in the same hand-made PCB's I produced at that time. Chances are I'll enhance the scales and their precision with new, 1% resistors.

Hope you like the pictures and the whole development of the idea.

(four pictures were added, after fixing the 680ohms SMD resistor)

Cheers!

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 15 July 2012, 1:13 a.m.


#5

I *might* have checked if this part has been avalable on ebay <g>

But nevertheless an interesting task


#6

Danke Schöen!

Matter of fact, I actually tried to find a replacement for the fried unit, but I found nothing closed to it, I guess it is because the displays are from the 80's... I found a combined 3-display pack in one single unit, commonly used in some satellite receivers, but if I used it as a replacement I'd have three displays lost instead of only one. Also, the CA3161 + CA3162 use common anode displays and the pacs I found are common cathode. I would have to add some extra transistors to make it work, though...

I must admit I took it mostly as a challenge than a task itself. And in the end, it worked alright!

Cheers!

Luiz (Brazil)


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime finally updated! Les Koller 8 419 12-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Les Koller
  HP-70 simulator updated Willy R. Kunz 3 268 11-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post: BShoring
  Updated PPC DVD Version 2.10: HP-41 Searchable Program Files and Scannable Barcode Jake Schwartz 3 244 09-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Olivier (Wa)
  Graph3D v2013.09.26 for HP Prime (updated) Han 3 231 09-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Last Post: cyrille de brebisson
  OT: PockEmul has been updated Bill (Smithville, NJ) 0 143 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Bill (Smithville, NJ)
  RPN-67 Pro updated to v1.2 Willy R. Kunz 29 1,058 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Willy R. Kunz
  RPN-67 Pro updated Willy R. Kunz 8 327 05-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Last Post: Willy R. Kunz
  [41CL] Updated Manual Monte Dalrymple 1 150 05-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Matt Kernal
  Updated HP-41 Flex-PCB replacement guide. Diego Diaz 2 193 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Diego Diaz
  Updated PPC DVD Disk w/HHC2012 Materials Jake Schwartz 1 170 01-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Walter B

Forum Jump: