The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1889 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1890 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1893 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1932 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1934 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1934 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

Re: Classic Battery Packs and NiMH

I don't know why they shouldn't fit. NiMHs are mostly equivalent to NiCds besides the higher capacity. You would have to load them longer (twice the capacity=twice the load time).

The HP charging circuits load with some kind of more or less constant current (in fact they load via a resistor coming from a constant voltage source (7806 IC)). This is the same method used in the cheapest external charging devices. I mean the chargers you get for some $ everywhere.

I don't see a difference. When it is cold, they lose capacity, which maybe can be a problem in winter time.

The benefit is, that they don't have any memory effect.

They should also not be left on the charger for infinite time like much users treat the NiCds. This is also no good practice for the NiCds, but probably the NiMHs react bad. (get hot, I think)

I'm not a battery expert, but when used the right way, I don't think they can do any harm to the calculators.

I think, I have to check this.

Anybody else out there (some electronics engineers, I know you're here, guys) who knows more ?

In terms of power, discharge curve, voltage, etc, NiMH fall between NiCad and a typical Alkaline cell.

Thus, the voltage of the NiMH cell is a little higher than NiCad (But not as high as Alkaline), the impedance (equivalent series resistance) is a little higher than NiCad (but not as high as Alkaline).

If Alkaline cells can be used (and I hear that they CANNOT) then NiMH would seem a reasonable replacement for NiCad.

Inserting an additional series diode inside the calculator will cause a voltage drop of approx 0.6 V which may allow for the use of slightly higher voltage batteries.

Note: I have not tried this procedure!

Thanks for the info guys - John

Do Not, I repeat, do not blindly substitute a NiMh battery for a NiCad. Under conditions of trickle charge, they are very similar, but there is a danger of explosion at charging rates greater than .2C (that means charging greater than 20 percent of the battery capacity) . Almost all commercial NiMh packs include either temperature sensors and/or presettable fuses. Apple computer made this mistake in some power books and some early machines caught fire.....Charging through a resistor as one poster noted is not a constant current charge, it does limit the charging current. Under conditions of deep discharge, the required current might be quite high. This will cause a bit of heat to be dissipated in the charger. You may damage the charger under such conditions. Be careful and make some measurements.... Good Luck

Yes ... this was my post. I know, that a voltage regulator and a resistor is not a constant current source, but I didn't know these dangers in charging NiMHs.

I said it before, I'm not a battery expert.

I think the voltage regulator IC used in the chargers has a thermal shutdown (and current limit, hopefully), so that's not the problem. I discussed this theme with somebody else and he said the NiMHs would not charge well with the low charging currents delivered by the calculators.

Unfortunately I didn't find the value of the resistor (I remember the voltage source was an 7805 or 7806), so I can't determine the current.

Anyway, there are high capacity NiCads, that avoid all of these problems and don't have very much lower capacity the NiMHs. I'd try some of these, because they _do_ have the same characteristics like the originals.

If I find something, I'll post these information.

Thanks, Tom, for the information

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Wonderful Classic HP Calculator BShoring 2 1,356 11-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Last Post: BShoring
  Classic battery polarity Kiyoshi Akima 2 1,544 11-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Kiyoshi Akima
  CLASSIC/SPICE KEY LEGENDS Mike T. 2 1,367 08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Mike T.
  Woodstock, Classic & Spices for iPhone Matt Agajanian 8 2,766 07-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Last Post: BShoring
  Does anyone want dead 82001 battery packs? Michae Altmann 6 1,944 03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Harald
  Classic calculator display chip type number? Juergen Hofstaedter 3 1,538 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Eric Smith
  Classic Series Enter Key Dan Lewis 15 4,208 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke
  Source for N-Cell NiMh Batteries and Charging adapters TnC_Products 14 3,804 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Dieter
  Classic (HP-67) charger issues revisited Matt Agajanian 6 2,265 05-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  aOT--Battery/battery contact care advice needed Matt Agajanian 0 1,118 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian