Re:(no stock) or HP consumer test???

Well, I think that has to be considered on a wider point of view

a) even if the profit per share wouldn't increase drastically, we are speaking about marginal income, which means that whatever small it is it is always welcome
b) HP could also take advantage of their image and once reputation : the best calculator manufacturer in the world. At the office, or at meeting (I'm leading an investment club), evrybody recognizes my calculator as being an "HP" and say "Oh, yes, I remember, at school/work 20 years ago we were jealous of the ones who owned a HP"
c) if they don't want to invest in more research, they could stil produce the 42S, the 32SII, the 12C, the 19BII, the 17BII, the 27S... there is definitely demand for these products and I'm not sure that their end of cycle is that far away...

EO (useful) L for these, IMO, is a long way off. No one is building good programmable calculators of thse types (42s, 32sii, 15c) anymore.

I'm sitting here debating what exactly to do with my brand new 42s- I lucked into this (should ahve ordered 2) and am not going to easily find an affordable replacement ($229 on ebay?!?!). Would I buy one for $89 new in a store? Yes! $109? Yes- though non dedicated fansprobably wouldn't.(I'd buy three at once and not worry about spares ever again.) Would I buy a 15c for the same price as a 12c? Yes.

-C

My brand-spanking new HP42S arrived moments ago (that's about 2PM, PDT/MST, in Flagstaff, Arizona), via UPS from HP "Warehouse L7" in Lincoln, California. The product number is the fabled 00042-60911.

What came is _just_ the calculator and slip case - no manual (hope there's one around here).

This was ordered via partsdirect.hp.com on Tuesday evening (PDT), charged to my AmEx card, and delivered for free by UPS ground to my vacation address (not the address on the credit card - which IS shown as the "sold to" address).

The serial number/ID is ID13400073, which indicates it is a later item in the sequence of values discussed in a thread above. Has anybody gotten a later (higher number?) one? Based on those who were given an indefinite shipping date (when ordering on Wednesday, I'm guessing), I suspect this is close to the last one. (The calculator was made in Indonesia.)

I, too, thank Johnny and Michael for the heads-up about these units.

HP paid the FedEx to send mine!

Ordered two Tuesday night the 28th online and when the order confirmation came in Wednesday it said the order was "open" but the stock entry said "yes" so I held my breath. Wednesday night brought a new email with the FedEx tracking number! Watched them right to the front door. Wow!

Both sn's are 1D045028xx

Thanks Johnny!

Well, mine arrived too ! Great !

From the S/N # difference one can aasume that there were more than 40 in stock..

Anyway thanks johnny ! I think that all of us who got one should pay johnny's one in reward for his precious hint !

Yes - I agree.

I also think we should pay johnny's one in reward for his precious hint!
But maybe he rather wants another calculator instead...
(Eg HP-65, -67, -75C or -75D)

Just a hint!

Ynnhoj
8^)

Randy,

Can you tell where yours was shipped from? Your serial numbers are much different from all the rest that have been reported - which all seem to be from the same production run.

Thibaut: what's your serial number?

Dave -

My units shipped from:

1731 Aviation Blvd - Whse L7

Lincoln, CA 95648

I think it's a mistake to think that, even if these were the "last 40 units left" in HP's inventory, that the serial #'s would be handed out in ascending order.

I'm guessing the units were made in Indonesia, shipped over unpackaged (there's a lot of air in the packaging), wrapped in plastic here, boxed, cartoned, crated, and stored in whatever order was convenient -- perhaps totally randomly.

Later, the were uncrated, de-cartoned, stacked on shelves, and moved all about as -42s servicing went from a high-volume, perhaps multi-workstation activity, to a low-volume, then occasional and finally no-volume activity. By the time it came to house-cleaning, they were probably all jumbled up.

We shouldn't assume that the "last one made" was even released with this batch. (And I suppose the offer was made available to HP employees before we got wind of it . . . )

I ordered mine Wed. and the site still says "open".

My CC hasn't been charged yet. I guess I missed out on this one. Oh well atleast I have a few trusty 41s and other HP's to keep me going for awhile.

Christopher

Have faith. Just because they haven't charged your card doesn't mean it's not on the way. Heck, I've already got mine and they still haven't charged my card yet... :^)

You may want to go back there and take a look at details for your order ("View Details" button). Look at the second section (it'll say something like "Part Number 00042-60911") and see if they have a link for tracking your order. I know that the status on my order wasn't "complete" until two days after it shipped. And the tracking link didn't appear until the day after it shipped.

Seems I was a little hasty in my thought that I was too late for this. I checked the order status this morning and the estimated ship date has changed from "N/A" to "07/24/2002".

This seems kind of strange that it is almost 2 months from now. But I am happy that they have posted a shipping date at all. Now I wait with anticipation.

John K.(US):

Have faith. Just because they haven't charged your card doesn't mean it's not on the way. Heck, I've already got mine and they still haven't charged my card yet... :^)

Thank you for your faith John it seems to have worked 8^).

Regards,

Christopher

Hey, thanks for mentioning that. I just checked, and my estimated ship date is now also 7/24/02. Yay! Since my credit card has been charged, I'm *really* hoping that this means it will work out!

If not, well, I'm sure the new HP 50G when they go back to the traditional colors and keys, use software better than Mathematica, provide wireless links to your LAN, and a new programming language so you can interface calc apps with your heavy duty apps running on networked machines, and all personally demoed by Elizabeth Hurley will be even more fun. Wait, maybe that was a dream...
Mike Markowski

If some people received machines from stock in a few days and now they are quoting two months, that must mean either they are bringing units from stock in other countries, or they are building new ones.

. . . or it's their default response that gives them time to evaluate whether there really ARE any more available . . .

(I'm not simply trying to be negative -- I've got a couple hung up in "OPEN" status and am hoping they'll come through, too.)

I went to the site this morning and the option for PCA-OTHER is no longer a solection from the list. You can type in the part number and it comes up no longer available.

"Always with the negative waves, Moriarty..."

:^)

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there."

From previous message.."If some people received machines from stock in a few days and now they are quoting two months, that must mean either they are bringing units from stock in other countries, or they are building new ones."

I ordered a 42S from HP in Melbourne, Australia and it is supposedly arriving in 10-14 days from the States, so I doubt that there is stock anywhere in Australia. Maybe in Europe or other parts of Asia like Singapore.

I called and the guy said that my order won't be processed because they are out of stock and the item is obsolete. So I guess I would have to settle for the first two I got.
Also, they only charge your credit card when the item is shipped.

They precharged my card, then did the "real" charge after shipping.

-C

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-42S ESD self-test Yriarte 2 1,523 10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Yriarte
  So I took a test with my Prime today ... kris223 12 3,400 09-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Last Post: kris223
  Best way to test HP-71B RAM modules (the 32K/96K ones etc.)? Philippe Lasnier 4 2,360 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Philippe Lasnier
  Concern about Voyager keyboard test Matt Agajanian 2 1,418 08-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  Voyager Self Test Mike (Stgt) 5 1,937 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  HP 41 Advantage module test RyanM 6 2,071 02-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Angel Martin
  Physics Test Howard Owen 37 8,333 01-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Csaba Tizedes (Hungary)
  Test HP-41C PPC ROM and STANDARD modules Robert (Simi Valley) 2 1,438 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Frido Bohn
  Help test an iOS calculator Tod 36 9,684 06-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Tod
  15C LE still in stock Steve Fennell 8 2,197 04-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Walter B