HP 9120A Printer Platen Gone Gooey


Hello, all,

I recently acquired an HP 9120A printer for my 9100A/B calculators.
The platen that feeds the electrosensitive paper through the printer is made of a rubber substance that has turned to an oily black goo, rendering the unit useless. I have taken it apart and removed the platen and cleaned up all of the parts, but there was no way to find out what the thickness of the rubber material was.
I'm trying to figure out something that could serve as a replacement. I've thought of surgical tubing with the appropriate inside and outside diameters that could slide into the metal shaft that served as the base for the rubber material, but without knowing the proper outside diameter for the material, it's difficult to go shopping for the right sized tubing, or any other material for that matter. Has anyone else had this problem and been successful in repairing it? I'd love to hear from anyone that might have any ideas. Or, perhaps someone who has a working 9120A would be willing to try to measure the diameter or circumference of the platen and let me know.


Rick Bensene

The Old Calculator Museum


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which cold shrink kit for 9810 printer platen? David Ramsey 1 981 07-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Tony Duell
  Searching for a 9120A drive belt Richard Wilder 1 867 09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Richard Wilder
  Thermal Printer Paper for 82143A Printer? Gordon Hamachi 1 1,108 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Randy
  HP-9120A belt David Smith 0 647 07-31-2003, 04:52 PM
Last Post: David Smith
  Thermal Printer 82143 -Problems to operate the printer- Martin Wahlich 4 1,696 12-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Martin Wahlich
  Printer Paper for HP41 Thermal Printer Y. Samuel Arai 5 1,684 04-14-2001, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Felipe Hernandez

Forum Jump: