The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1586 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1587 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1587 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

Aviation solver project - need some help getting started!

I've got my 41CV up and running again. Have ROMS for Aviation, Math Functions, Time Functions and X Functions installed.

I'm firming up some ideas on a In-Flight Planning program, to solve for what we call Critical Point (or Equal Time Point) and Last Point of Safe Diversion calculations.

A critical point is a point along a flight planned route at which it will be quicker to proceed to a destination (or off-track alternate) than to return to base.

A Last Point of Safe Diversion ('point of no return') is a fuel flow v fuel qty available problem. How far can I proceed from my point of departure toward my destination and still return home or to another airport with legal reserves intact.

Both CP's and LPOSD are affected by wind - they 'move into wind.' Also the reason I may be asking the question is if I have an emergency - if one engine fails or the cabin depressurises, I will be proceeding slower, at a different fuel burn rate, at a lower level in possibly different winds.

I think that the place to start is to use addition of vectors - wind at a particular level is a vector, and a flight plan is a speed in a direction for a given distance at a more or less constant fuel flow, over a defined time period.

Inputs would be the aircraft magnetic track,true airspeed and fuel burn rate at the normal cruising level, true airspeed and fuel burn rate at the abnormal operating level, the distance to the destination, the wind direction and velocity at both levels, plus the magnetic bearing and distance to a possible alternate airport. For LPOSD calcs, would also need to input the flight fuel available (fuel less reserves)

Any body brave enough to predict whether vector addition is the way to go?

Hows that for a big first question on the forum?!!

Nick,

I use my HP-41 to assist with my flying. The problem you are discussing is the "Wind Triangle" problem, and the Aviation module has a solution within the Flight Plan program. I did not like the program, so derived my own program instead. This problem is most commonly solved using one of the "triangle" solutions (SSA), several calculating references exist (HP-41 Math Module, TI-58/59 Master Module). I don't think that it is possible to solve the problem with vector addition, since you don't know enough about the vectors. You know the wind vector (both angle and length), you know the magnetic course (angle) but not length (ground speed) of the ground motion vector, and you know the True Air Speed (length), but not magnetic heading (angle) of the apparent motion vector. Therefore the triangle solution (side-side-angle) must be used.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hp-prime solver and variable name fabrice48 22 8,104 12-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Last Post: fabrice48
  HP Prime Triangle solver BruceH 29 8,297 11-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dale Reed
  FRAM71 Project aj04062 1 1,179 11-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Hans Brueggemann
  Using units in Numeric Solver Harold A Climer 1 1,237 10-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  [HP-PRIME] QPI project CompSystems 0 860 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Last Post: CompSystems
  Does Prime Have a Multiple Equation Solver? Norman Dziedzic 2 1,339 09-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Norman Dziedzic
  RPN-1200 Project Benoit Maag 0 809 08-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Benoit Maag
  Just a lazy solver algortihm PGILLET 1 1,037 06-28-2013, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Namir
  [43s] : How the solver will be implemented Miguel Toro 3 1,543 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  TVM-Solver for the PC fhub 14 3,850 12-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Last Post: fhub