Fast editor for 48SX/GX??



#2

Greetings folks,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a fast editor program for the 48 series?

The editor is the major achille's heel on these machines and editing a large program is a very tedious and slow business.

I've looked through hpcalc.org but can't see anything.

The editor on the 49G is really fast. Is there something like that which can be loaded on a 48?

Or are there any "secret" tips for speeding up editing on a 48 please?

Any suggestions here gratefully received. The 48s are still the pinnacles for me but editing is a major PITA!

Thanks :)

Mark


#3

You should try StringWriter from JYA.

It is very fast and easy to use. It is close to the version available in the 49+.

You can DL it at this address :
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=129

Good programming ;-).

Chris


#4

Thanks Chris :)

I've got that installed and trying it out. Shame you can't enter programs exactly the same way you can in the built-in editor (a few quirks I've found so far) but old habits die hard.

Not too impressed with how long it takes to load a large program though.

For a prog I am working on now that is about 7K big, loading it into the built-in editor takes 41 seconds on a 48G and 45 seconds on a 48GX. Odd as I thought the GX had a faster CPU.

Using StringWriter, it still takes 41 seconds on a GX. However, scrolling in SW is massively faster!

So despite the loading time, SW is obviously a huge step-up from the built-in editor. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Mark

Quote:
You should try StringWriter from JYA.

It is very fast and easy to use. It is close to the version available in the 49+.

You can DL it at this address :
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=129

Good programming ;-).

Chris



#5

Why not use HPUserEdit and/or EMU48 and develop, test, and debug on a PC. Both require Windows, however both work with Linux/Mac with Wine just fine.


#6

I do do that sometimes but for many reasons, I work on and much prefer the real machine over the emulator.

Mark

Quote:
Why not use HPUserEdit and/or EMU48 and develop, test, and debug on a PC. Both require Windows, however both work with Linux/Mac with Wine just fine.

#7

Quote:
Thanks Chris :)

I've got that installed and trying it out. Shame you can't enter programs exactly the same way you can in the built-in editor (a few quirks I've found so far) but old habits die hard.

Not too impressed with how long it takes to load a large program though.

For a prog I am working on now that is about 7K big, loading it into the built-in editor takes 41 seconds on a 48G and 45 seconds on a 48GX. Odd as I thought the GX had a faster CPU.

Using StringWriter, it still takes 41 seconds on a GX. However, scrolling in SW is massively faster!

So despite the loading time, SW is obviously a huge step-up from the built-in editor. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Mark


Using SpeedUI, you can nearly immediately start editing, since loading of your 7K program will take a few seconds only.

Loading the 2.7K EXAMPLES directory takes less than 2 seconds:-)

And scrolling is very fast, too, and you have a multiple clipboard,

and online keyword browser with parameter help, and more.

And not o forge: The SpeedUI editor IS the new cmd line;-)

HTH

#8

Quote:
[..] I was wondering if anyone knows of a fast editor program for the 48 series? [..]
For the GX, I'd suggest to try my SpeedUI,

an older version is available on hpcalc.org, and v9.0x from me directly,

which includes (amongst many other things) a super fast CMD line and full screen editor replacement,

with global multiclipboard and online browser for all built-in HP-48 cmds and fcns.

HTH

Raymond

BTW: SpeedUI for the HP-48G+/GX is still supported and updated.


Edited: 23 May 2009, 7:31 p.m.


#9

Quote:
... and v9.0x from me directly ...


Please post link to it.


#10

Hi,

unfortunately the version on hpcalc is outdated.

However I can send you the latest version via eMail.

Just drop me a mail at:

m a g i c 4 8 g e s [aett] g m x . d e (Remove the obvious;-)


#11

Hello all,

meanwhile I uploaded the latest version to the hpmuseum.

Here are the links:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/guest/deltondo/speedui.pdf

http://www.hpmuseum.org/guest/deltondo/sui_905.zip

Please read the accompanying documents first.

The optional UFL isn't included in the archive yet,

but UFL can be downloaded from hpcalc.org .

Have fun:-)

Raymond


#12

Thank you, Raymond!

That's a very nice way to obtain your excellent program.


#13

Yes, thank you Raymond.

Mark

#14

Raymond - I have installed SpeedUI and have to say how impressed I am. A spectacular piece of programming! Thank you very much for making this available.

My only small criticism is that I would like to be able to use the UI.LIB in 4-line mode and not 6 but otherwise, your work has totally changed the 48 and corrected the main flaw of the slow editor. Although it takes up a lot of memory, SpeedUI is going to be a standard component from now on!

Thanks again :)

Mark

#15

Thanks Raymond. I've downloaded the version on hpcalc and I'll give it a try. Looks like it might take a lot of memory though. I'm not too familiar with libs and such so I suspect running it from a non-merged mem card might be sensible. Is that right?

Mark

Quote:

For the GX, I'd suggest to try my SpeedUI,

an older version is available on hpcalc.org, and v9.0x from me directly,

which includes (amongst many other things) a super fast CMD line and full screen editor replacement,

with global multiclipboard and online browser for all built-in HP-48 cmds and fcns.

HTH

Raymond

BTW: SpeedUI for the HP-48G+/GX is still supported and updated.



#16

Hi Mark,

most of the components of SpeedUI can be run from any port,

but the configuration lib (CF.LIB) and the user interface lib (UI.LIB)

must be stored in port 0 or 1 of a GX.

For performance reasons, it's best to store all of the libs in an uncovered port (0 or 1)

As in my other posting, the latest version is not on hpcalc yet, but can be sent via eMail.

HTH

Raymond

#17

For a bit of out-of-the-box thinking, you could use EMU48 for the speed, but still use your 48 as the keyboard. I have done this with the 50g, and it should work the same for the 48. See http://sense.net/~egan/skb/, section Controlling EMU48 for details.


#18

That's a very interesting idea! Thanks for the link :)

Sorry for the slow response - just been on a short holiday in France.

Mark

Quote:
For a bit of out-of-the-box thinking, you could use EMU48 for the speed, but still use your 48 as the keyboard. I have done this with the 50g, and it should work the same for the 48. See http://sense.net/~egan/skb/, section Controlling EMU48 for details.


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A fast Bernoulli Number method for the HP Prime Namir 16 757 11-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Namir
  HP Prime editor errors Alberto Candel 0 137 10-22-2013, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Alberto Candel
  Prime Program Editor Bug Dougggg 8 372 10-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Han
  A HP42S Code Editor Andreas 9 505 09-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Last Post: Andreas
  Riemann's Zeta Function update (HP-28S, HP-48G/GX/G+, HP-49G/G+/50g) Gerson W. Barbosa 0 151 06-30-2013, 01:01 AM
Last Post: Gerson W. Barbosa
  OT: DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS using the HP-48G/GX Ivan Rancati 2 230 06-04-2013, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Boehm (Germany)
  Strings inside matrix editor on 50g Chris Smith 3 223 05-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Chris Smith
  The HP Graphers 48SX - 50G Jedidiah Smith 11 455 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Last Post: gene wright
  Free HP39gII online note editor Mic 0 145 02-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Last Post: Mic
  Very fast modified TEA for HP 48 and up! Raymond Del Tondo 0 125 11-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Raymond Del Tondo

Forum Jump: