The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14058 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14059 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14061 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14072 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14089 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14097 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14106 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14125 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14059 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14072 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14097 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14125 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

NiCad AAA rechargeable for the 49G

Hi;

I'm test-driving a set of rechargeable AAA batteries, 250mAh, P-4SPA Panasonic, in my 48SX, but I intend using them with the 49G. Can I borough from any of you some previous experience on this? I am trying the rechargeable ones cause I needed to replaced the alkaline set for three times in less than one year. Of course, I upgraded the O.S. more than four times in the same period, among many data transfer operations between the calc and other calcs or computer. I did not take measurements to confirm, but I was told by two owners that data transfer is the most power-consumption operation. I thought O.S. upgrading was the most, cause of the 49`s flash-memory.

I have also seen some information at the Museum about power consumption in the 48G (posts or archive? I don't remember...), but I am not sure that the differences between alkalines AND NiCad`s were taken into account., say, 1.25V instead of 1.5V (each cell), different Volt X Current and Volt X Time curves, etc.

Anyway, the 48SX is running O.K. with a freshly charged set for about a week, normal operation (2~3 hours daily usage), what is no longer a reference. If there is something about it, I'd like to know.

Thanks and best regards.

I can't answer your power consumption questions but have the following experiences with NiCads:

The voltage colapses very quicky when they run out - so you get hardly any warning when they are about to die. The low battery warning on the HP48/49 is set for 1.5V batteries so when it comes on there may be lots of life left in the NiCads - but the point at which they fail may not be indicated. It would probably be best to recharge them regularly (say once a week) to ensure you don't get caught out. Perhap you should carry round some alkalines as spares to use at a moments notice (and when the NiCads are recharging)

NiCad capacity is much lower than alkalines so expect to have to recharge them more often.

NiCads loose about 1% of charge per day so if the calculator is not used for some time don't be surprised if they are discharged.

It may be best to only start changing the FLASH memory when you have freshly charged NiCads just in case they fail while you are updating the memory.

Have you considered using NMH batteries as they have a higher capacity and may have a better discharge profile.

You can obtain alkaline battery chargers but these only work if the batteries to be recharged are NOT fully used, I think they work best if there is still 30% charge left - how you work this out for a calculator is anyone's guess...

I'd be interested to see how you get on with your battery solution, hope the above is of use.

I'm test-driving a set of rechargeable AAA batteries, 250mAh, P-4SPA Panasonic, in my 48SX

Just to add to what Tom wrote, if you are going to go the rechargeable route, I would suggest NiMH. Target carries Energizer-brand NiMH AAAs with a capacity of 700mAh. I have tested them, and indeed, they seem to exceed that capacity!

But, NiMH, like NiCd, batteries lose about 1% of their capacity per day! So, for applications that need (or you want) to last quite a while between battery changes, there is really no substitue for alkalines. Lithiums would be a good choice, but I have only been able to find lithiums in AAs and 9V (again, Energizer brand).

Bruce.

p.s. For all the battery/power enthusiasts out there: www.cheapbatteries.com carries the 9V lithiums. They are GREAT for smoke detectors! You can install the lithiums, and FORGET ABOUT THEM for at least 5 years!

In addition to the good advice from Tom and Bruce...

NiMH also have the additional benefit that they do not have as severe a memory effect as do NiCd batteries.

It works this way. When you recharge a partially discharged NiCd the terminal voltage more rapidly drops so that it appears to have less capacity and the low voltage opperation point of your device is more quickly reached.

There is a common misconception that partial discharge reduces the capacity of the cells. This is not the case. The capacity remains, it is only the voltage discharge curve that is effected.

This is why it is advisable to fully discharge NiCd cells every so often to eliminate this memory effect.

I always use NiMH now for this very reason. Also the price/capacity of NiMH are so close to that of NiCd that it is worth while now to use MiMH instead of NiCd.

For my 41Cs I keep one spare set of fully charged batteries on trickle charge. Mind you with copious use of the card reader it takes more like one month not four to six months between replacements.

This is just to acknowledge your valuable posts, guys. Thanks a lot!

Anyway, to all those who want to add more info, I, and guess also all others taking advantage on these good posts, am inviting to go beyond. I believe many will use these precious info and others to come.

By the way, NMH or NiMH? I was told once which chemicals are used in these batteries, and I forgot. Please, what do NMH stand for?

Best regards.

(I'll keep the NiCad's for now in the 48SX to get to their performance, but I'll begin chasing the NiMH AAA's right in the morning!)

Nickel Metal Hydride hence NiMH.

I wonder how hard it would be to rig a small normalizing jack to interrupt the battery power when a 4.5V DC power source was plugged in?

Maybe as a compromise, one could then power the calculator from the wall during desk-bound, power-consuming operations, and use the batteries the rest of the time?

I cannot feel as being more acquainted with the idea. In fact, for hi-consumption ops (nowadays, it's refered to as more than 150mA... Goodbye, Vaccum Tubes, goodbye bipolar transistors... See you in Hi-amps equipment), and for system upgrading (HP49), that would be more than desirable...

Why didn't HewPack offered that? Maybe God knows... (not the one that posts here; the other One)

That's something not just to wonder about, but to research about. Thanks for the valuable tip, Paul.

Best regards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP 50g : More on best rechargeable batteries Miguel Toro 1 1,715 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Last Post: David Hayden
  HP 50g : Best rechargeable batteries ? Miguel Toro 14 4,617 11-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Dieter
  Rechargeable 2/3 AAAs in 41C-series Les Wright 7 2,568 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Eric Smith
  Replacing Rechargeable Batteries on TDS/SMI RAM cards aj04062 2 1,401 04-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall
  AA NiCad battery cells are now 1100 mAh rated Michael de Estrada 11 3,159 04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Randy
  HP41c rechargeable battery (82120A) circuit diagrams ? John Robinson 0 758 03-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Last Post: John Robinson
  HP41 Rechargeable Battery Pack - three pins ? John Robinson 2 1,110 03-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Chiu Yiu Wai
  "Why Rechargeable Batteries Are Rarely Cost Effective" Egan Ford 11 2,810 09-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Chan Tran
  HP41 Nicad pack and Batteries Larry Fox 5 1,423 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Tim
  Duracell DC2400B4N Rechargeable Batteries, NiMH, AAA Size for Hp 50g? PhysicsNerd 12 3,273 07-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Last Post: PhysicsNerd