The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 13960 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 13961 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 13971 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 13973 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14000 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14005 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14009 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14018 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14022 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14039 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 13961 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 13971 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14005 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14039 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 14022 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

hp 67 battery charger

I recently bought an old HP 67 in very bad state. There is a lot of problems to solve before being able to use it again.

The first one concerns the battery charger, whose specs are : "82022B battery charger - AC adapter ... output 50 mA/4.2 V"
When plugged in a 220 V socket, the measured DC voltage very slowly increases from about -1.6V to definitively reach the value of 0.42V instead of 4V.

Any idea ?

Well, as these are quite frequently for sale on ebay, my advice would be to purchase a good one over there...

The big filter cap in these things has a habit of going bad. It is a 400uF/16V capacitor (usually orange) that is standing on end. Try replacing it... they are cheap. Charges seem to go for $35 +/- $10 on Ebay... not cheap.

How are you measuring the output voltage? The HP67 charger has a 3 pin connector. The middle pin is logic ground. One of the outside pins is a voltage-regulated 4V (or so) supply for the calculator's logic chips. The other outside pin is a
50mA (or so) constant current source to charge the NiCd. The open-circuit voltage of that is around 17V. You should check these 2 outputs sepatately, with the -ve lead of your voltmeter on the centre contact of the connector and the +ve lead on each outside one in turn.
If it still seems bad, then you need to look inside. Unplug the charger from the mains. There is live mains on the PCB inside when it's plugged in, but there's no stored high voltage, so it's safe to take apart when unplugged. Take out the 4 little screws on the bottom and separate
the case. If you have one of the dual-voltage (115V/230V) models, then the voltage selector switch will fall apart at this point. Don't lose the parts, and note how they go. In fact clean the contacts of the swtich now.
The circuitry is not complicated. There's a mains transformer, bridge rectifier and smoothing cap (the tall electrolytic can) giving around 17V across the cap. In one corner of the PCB is a circuit consisting of a zener diode, resistor and transistor to give the +4.2V supply. In the other corner is a 2 transistor circuit to give the constant current supply.
Some versions have a picofuse soldered to the PCB in series with the transformer secondary winding.
Common failures are the fuse (if fitted), the output cable (check for continuity between the holes in the connector and the solder pads on the PCB -- bend/stretch the cable looking for problems). If those are OK, then solder a couple of wires onto the terminals of the electrolytic capacitor, put the case back together (it's essential to do this if you have the dual-voltage model since you need to have the voltage selector
switch assembled, and it's a good idea on all models to avoid a possibly lethal mains shock). Connect your voltmeter to the 2 wires you connected to the cap and plug the charger into the mains. If you don't get around 17V DC there, then test the transformer, rectifier diodes, smoothing cap, mains wiring, etc. If you do, then check the components in the 2 regulator circuits.

Hello Tony,
The output on the secondary of the transformer is 13.2VAC.
When I measure the 2 connector's output voltages, I get around 0.4 VDC on both side. The adapter is mono-voltage : 220V, no switch. After disassembling it, it appears that the fuse (Yes, there is a 3/8 A one) is broken. I replaced it by a strap (I know it's bad : I'll buy a new fuse this WE) and the new outputs are now : 15.4 VDC (is it enough ?) and 5.1VDC (is it too high ?).
After one night, my new NiCad battery seems to work fine.

I will post soon some more questions about the keyboard, in very bad state.
Thank you very much for your so quick & useful help.

The voltages that you now measure seem right for a unit without any load. Even though the unit is regulated they do vary somewhat.

The transformer secondary voltage sounds fine (I have no idea what your mains is, it may be a little lower than mine...). The voltage at the 'battery charger' output (in your case around 15V) is unregulated,
so I think that's fine too. The 5.1V sounds a little high, but it's not high enough to do any damage to the 67 (it must _NOT_ exceed 6.2V, though, or you will have problems). You might want to check the zener diode/power transistor associated with
that output. But again I think it's probably OK.
As regards shorting out the fuse, HP did that in later production (I've got several 'classic' chargers with a wire link soldered to the PCB with the fuse rating etched into the copper alongside it). I don;t know, though, if they changed the spec
of the transformer at this point to make it safe even if the output was shorted -- they may have done. So I'd probably want to fit a proper fuse soon.
Waht's the problem with the keyboard? Mechanical, electrical?

these things never seem to have the same voltage when tested as is printed on the case. maybe it is because of how we test them. for example; when neither me or the 82059D is loaded it gives 12.3 VAC but is rated at 8 (i haven't tried this with one or both of us loaded). if this was a problem we would all have burned out shells instead of working calculators so i'm not worried about it. btw; i tested a ti charger that gave almost twice it's supposed voltage and it does not seem to do any dammage, other than that it ruined the operating system and you have to enter your numbers backwards.

HP chargers are not simple as they appear!. For all but the 'classic' series, the charger is just a transformer. But it's a transformer with a carefully-controlled output characteristic. The voltage is designed to drop on-load, and to drop in a defined way.
The official testing procedure for chargers (I believe) involves testing them open-circuit and then again with a specified load resistor across the output. These types will show a higher-than-expected output voltage off-load.
Last year I built a charger tester. A box containing relays and resistors that plugs into an HP3421 data logger. Under program (HP71) control, it connects different loads to the charger and records the output voltage. And when some HPCC memebers find some other chargers for me to test, I'll hopefully be able to give the experimental specs for all of them. FWIW, for the AC input chargers it is possible to specify them just by the open-circuit voltage and internal resistance -- the V-I curve is _very_ linear.
As I said, that applies to all chargers apart from the 'classic' one. And we're discussing a 'classic' one here. That charger contains a lot more than just a transformer. 3 trnasistors, 4 diodes, a zener, and a handful of R's and C's. This unit has an internal voltage regulator to run the machine and an internal current regulator to charge the NiCd battery.
That's why the output voltage of the 'classic' charger should not be much higher off-load than when loaded.

I don't know what's wrong about the keyboard : the springs under numeric and the '+' keys seem like broken, and the C,D & E keys don't even respond (but their springs have a normal "feeling").
I'll try to open the case to understand and describe it more precisely (and perhaps clean the inside).
The calc is old : 1977 according to his serial number and details found in HpMuseum.

Thanks again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-67 charger Marcel Samek 3 1,705 11-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Marcel Samek
  HP charger 82002c for handheld calculators Dave Burson 2 1,514 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Dave Burson
  Classic (HP-67) charger issues revisited Matt Agajanian 6 2,264 05-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  HP-35 Charger/Adapter Repair (82002C) LHH 0 956 05-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Last Post: LHH
  HP 67 Calculator Battery Terminal plus/minus Steve E. 6 2,152 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Nick R
  aOT--Battery/battery contact care advice needed Matt Agajanian 0 1,118 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
  HP-67 wall charger Wytnucls 2 1,306 04-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Dan W
  HP-67 Battery door latch Matt Agajanian 23 5,371 04-13-2012, 01:57 PM
  HP 97 charger Harald 2 1,242 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Harald
  Which charger for a35 Matt Agajanian 3 1,486 03-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany