Medical statistics - OT



#2

If someome has a 25 percent chance of living 5 years, does this mean the person has 75 percent chance of dying in 5 years or some other possibility. Anyone hear speak "doctor?"

TIA


#3

As a math teacher (not a doctor), I'd say there's a 75% chance this person will die within the next 5 years.

#4

This person has a 25% chance to survive the next 5 years. So, 75% remains for not-surviving, i.e. dying within this period. All such numbers are to be taken for big samples, however, meaning 1 out of 4 persons having such a medical status will survive the next 5 years, based on previous experience.

(Also no "doctor" (physician), but only a "Dr." (in physics))

Edited: 13 May 2008, 4:41 a.m. after one or more responses were posted


#5

Quote:
All such numbers are to be taken for big samples, however, meaning 1 out of 4 persons having such a medical status will survive the next 5 years, based on previous experience.

Some advice from someone who has been there. What you hope and pray for is that you will be one of those out on the tail of the distribution curve. I am one of the fortunate ones.

In 1978 my rising and transverse colon were removed when endoscopy found three distinctly different kinds of cancer. In 1981 my descending colon and rectum were removed when the cancer recurred. At the time I was told that typical patients didn't last more than five years. About ten years later the surgeon exclaimed that I had surely beat the crap out of the odds. And, I'm still here.


#6

Congratulations! And many happy years to come!! You are the living (sic!) example for my statement above: chance numbers are for big samples and will *never* predict the individual fate, but only a mean fate (BTW, the English language offers some really cute ambiguities). This holds throughout statistics, but is seldom so impressively seen and felt like in medicine. Good luck to you!!!


#7

Quote:
...You are the living (sic!) example...

Maybe an example, but not a proof ;-)

Of course, Walter, I know your statement concerning large samples and individuals is right. The fact however, that one patient lives 20 more years instead of only 5 can also mean that the doctor made a bad prediction or a false diagnosis ;-)

Anyway, Palmer, hope to read your comments for 20 more years!

Regards to both of you,
George Bailey

#8

Quote:
If someome has a 25 percent chance of living 5 years, does this mean the person has 75 percent chance of dying in 5 years or some other possibility. Anyone hear speak "doctor?"

TIA


Cancer is the most researched, at least as far as staging and statistics go:

Cancer survival rate


#9

I took a Kaiser occult blood test today,one sample in a small vial.
No dietary preparation, although I have been eating seafoods for a normal prep. I'm a devout coward at 79. I am proof you can do adventurous things carefully. Sam


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weird statistics bug in wp34s Andrew Nikitin 5 940 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Namir
  HP 10s+ Easter Egg (Statistics) Eddie W. Shore 1 437 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Andrew Feist
  WP34s Stopwatch & statistics pascal_meheut 4 690 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Matthew Krotzer
  WP34s Stopwatch & statistics, message for Matthew Krotzer pascal_meheut 2 539 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Last Post: pascal_meheut
  42s Statistics Problem Norman Dziedzic 11 1,180 12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Thomas Okken
  World statistics in a new light designnut 4 617 08-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Howard Owen
  HP 48G Statistics question Ren 3 531 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Ren
  Medical Pac 1 for HP-65 Matthias Wehrli 2 466 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Namir
  Printing statistics calc // 46 Walter B 3 575 07-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Mark Edmonds
  HP 71B AMPI Statistics Module Manual Dennis Martin 0 315 09-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Dennis Martin

Forum Jump: