The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63378 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63379 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63380 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63381 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63410 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63423 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63439 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63439 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63410 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 63423 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

Third party book(s) on 49G+ ?

I just bought a HP 49G+. I have owned a 35, 25C, 67, 11C, 12C, 28S, and 48SX. I would still be using the 48 if the display hadn't given up. The documentation for the 49G+ is absolutely terrible in comparison. Just spent a few minutes looking back over the documentation for the 48. It is great, two sprial bound manuals, plus a third progammer's reference. What I wouldn't give for a set of hard copy manuals for the 49g+ that were written as clearly and organized as well. When did HP give up on printed manuals, and good tech writers?

Are there any good third party books available on using the 49G+?

http://www.engineering.usu.edu/cee/faculty/gurro/myBooks.htm

Here is one site that you can reference. Also the manuals from your 48SX are also applicable for your 49G+ as well when you use the 49G+ in RPL mode (and who wouldn't???). Nearly every feature and function has been included in the 49G+ (I can't think of any that aren't). Hp also included a more detailed manual on your CD that was included with your Hp49G+ as well (actually by the same author as above, I believe). Of course you will need additional information to make use of the CAS and extra functions that are now included as well. Out of the Box, the 49G series left out only the Eq Lib of the 48G series (which the Sx required a card to get). This is now a freebe that is available via download from Hpcalc.org (which you have probably used since you also had a 48SX).

As far as why Hp gave up on these manuals, $$$$ pure and simple. Hp marketing surveyed the graphics calculator base (95% Ti users) and determined that most manuals were not read or used (I suspect that this survey would have been totally different if Hp had surveyed their own customer base). But marketing is always looking at the big picture (sell to as many as possible, whether that is possible or practical).

Sorry all, I tend to rant when the NEW Hp is brought up.

www.hp.com/calculators

Then go to the calculator page you're interested in and click on the audience you're a part of on the right side (students and educators, technical professionals, etc).

There are 55 learning modules free on HP's site for the HP49g+ covering a wide variety of problems.

Gene

Hi;

I'd add to Gene's excelent suggestion the Great Unpuplished, but I tried to find them and it seems that they no longer exist, at least with this name. Actually, the above link falls into the last link (booksurge) mentioned by James M. Prangue in his post in this very thread. Have anyone any information about them, please, let me know.

Anyway, I bought three titles written by Gilberto Urroz printed by Great Unpublished that might also fit your needs: "Science and Engineering Mathematics with the HP49G+" (V.1 and V.2), "Applications of the HP g series calculators in Probability and Statistics" and "Analytical and Numerical Methods with the HP48 g/g+/gx", all of them dated Y2000. These are valuable books. I also have 'An HP48 Calculus Companion' (1994), by Jerold Matthews (Iowa State University) and Jack Eidswick (California State University - San Bernardino). This is a mid-level, high-school aid book that actually applies HP48G tools to solve math problems. I like reading it. Unfortunately I have not seen any of these titles available for download.

Hope you find something that fits your needs.

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

Thanks for the reply, Ron. It is good news to learn that I can use my 48 manuals. I already copied the manual from the CD to my hard drive. That is the documentation I referred to as being not up to the standard of that from the 48. In particular it lacks a lot of the detail about the structure of the calculator, and clear explanations of some of the menus, and working with the directory tree, and I/O functions... things like that, as opposed to simply solving math problems. It is a real wonder that people who invest in a sophisticated calculator would not read the manual. How will they ever really learn how to use the advanced features? For one, I would gladly pay more for a good set of manuals. I know what you mean about the new HP. As a matter of fact I worked for them for a while, up on the hill, back in the golden days, when Bill and Dave themselves would get on the paging system and give us updates on the latest happenings. Ah well...

At least as far as UserRPL goes, except for I/O and the MMC / SD card, the 49g+ is very similar to the 49G.

Download the 49G Advanced User's Guide from http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=Advanced+Guide&hp49=1

There's a lot of other information available at hpcalc.org, and through http://m.webring.com/hub?ring=hp48.

There's a very active newsgroup, comp.sys.hp48, which is really about RPL calculators in general, and mostly about the more recent models. You can search the newsgroup archive from http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?group=comp.sys.hp48. If you can't subscribe through your own news client and server, then try http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48

If you'll settle for third-party books about the 49G, see http://www.booksurge.com/ and search by author for Urroz.

Regards,
James

Thanks to everyone who responded with all this helpful information. I still lament over the fact that the documentation that does exist isn't done as well as in the old days, but that is progress and economics for you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Irrationality in numbers....the book Matt Agajanian 4 1,772 08-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  [HP Prime CAS] No Pretty Print (Text Book) CompSystems 1 1,166 08-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Last Post: CompSystems
  Party Puzzle: for your amusement hugh steers 2 1,237 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Last Post: hugh steers
  A good general mathematics reference book? Chris Smith 11 3,294 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Chris Smith
  The "blue book" and what the figures tell Walter B 29 7,208 03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  Book on repairing HP calculators? Dave F 24 5,753 11-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Bart (UK)
  X-41 on Mac Book Jean-Michel 6 2,178 11-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Jean-Michel
  Reference Book, Way Off Topic Les Koller 21 4,871 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Last Post: BobVA
  can you identify this HP97-67 book? Ignacio Sánchez 4 1,873 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Last Post: db (martinez, ca.)
  OT: Sinclair Soveriegn disassembly and book. Geoff Quickfall 0 1,037 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Last Post: geoff quickfall