The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 60483 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 60495 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 60682 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 60712 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 60830 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 60495 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 60712 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 60830 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

HP86 sold thru HP museum ad, spammers

I advertised my HP86 system with the HP Museum classified site, and after a time succeeded in selling it to a company in France that still uses the 86 for process control in chemical manufacturing. I received a number of legitimate inquiries, as well as a slew of responses from our Nigerian friends. These Nigerian emails were mostly comical, and followed the typical pattern of offering to send large cashiers checks, with the excess amount to be forwarded to "an associate". Yeah, right...Most of the Nigerian replys were from people who had two first names.
The HP86B sold for $150, which is pretty good for a computer that is over twenty years old, had 128k of memory, and no hard drive. (Not to mention the green monochrome monitor and dot-matrix printer...). I was more interested in it finding a good home than making any money, and couldn't bear the thought of throwing it away. (The shipping cost was
$250!).
Thanks for the site! Fritz

Hi Fritz:

Quote:

a company in France that still uses the 86 for process control in chemical manufacturing

I though only americans kept using old technology to actually make money---it is refreshing to see a Euro doing that!

Only a few years ago, I looked across the office and saw my German colleague shaking his head in disbelief as he was looking out the window. "What do you see out there, Thomas?" I said. He replied, "[A midship house tanker still in commercial service]--unbelievable." (You have to imagine the Baltic accent--it makes the punch-line). What he saw was the ex-NEW YORK SUN or PHILADELPHIA SUN (can't remember which) which, built in 1963, was still plying the Delaware river in 1999, serving her purpose for Tosco.

She was older than the "Museumsschiff" at Warnemünde.

Regards,

Bill. And I too am happy you found a home for that old silicon.

Hi Fritz,

I had a few ads on the HP muesum to sell calculators and I too experienced a barrage of Nagierian scam emails. By now I should be a billionaire if all these are true. I also got another set of replies that ask for my ITEM (in generic term) and claim that they can handle shipping .. they also want a picture, description, and price (most of that info is in the ad itself). I guess some people need a life instead of trying to BE SMART with collectors like us.

Namir

And in reply to a free HP shirt tha no one has asked for yet, I got the following:

"Hello,
i am bruce daniels i am very happy to come across this site for i have been trying to buy these ( Free Hewlett Packard Shirt ) my customers have been asking for the ( Free Hewlett Packard Shirt ) because i buy it and sell in africa esp. nigeria but i will like you to please send me the price of these ( Free Hewlett Packard Shirt ) so that i will be preparing your payment and i will like to add that i will be paying you by a cashiers check drawn from a US abnk so i will be expecting you mails as soon as possible...
regards
daniel"

Wow! If I only had 100 shirts to sell for FREE, I could make a fortune giving them away! Maybe I could get an airline stewardess headed to Nigeria to bring it to him, after all if someone could just pick it up, he wouldn't need to get a cashiers check . . .

sigh ...

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/adforum.cgi?read=12401

Hi,

I was kindly sent some photographs of some HP-85s in use by Agtronics of New Zealand:

http://www.vintagecomputers.freeserve.co.uk/hp80/pictures.htm

If you want to e-mail me about the company in France, perhaps they could photograph their HP-86 machines at work, or perhaps you could send them a request?

Regards,
John

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HHC / HP Museum Programming Contest for RPN and RPL machines Gene Wright 18 5,450 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Miguel Toro
  HP35 Ad. from 1972 with calculation error reused in 2009? Michael Kathke 46 11,181 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Dieter
  Keeping a museum in good health Matt Agajanian 4 1,687 06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  A great addition to the museum & DVD Matt Agajanian 0 873 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  Hp 50g too young for the hp-museum? peacecalc 44 10,333 03-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Dominic Richens
  OT: "The Big Bang Theory" actress visits the Datamath Calculator Museum Joerg Woerner 8 2,537 03-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Johnny Bjoern Rasmussen
  OT: The Math That Saved Apollo 13 Just Sold for $388,375 Egan Ford 4 1,566 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Egan Ford
  Just got my Museum DVD Set... Raymond Wiker 4 1,591 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Last Post: DigiGal
  56 HP-41CX's Sold At Government Auction John M (Ottawa) 6 2,519 10-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Dave Shaffer (Arizona)
  15C LE: Will 10K units get sold quickly? Howard Owen 24 4,922 09-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Patrick Rendulic