The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 51192 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 51192 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

PDA / HP-41 Hybrid Hardware? (Just wondering . . . )

For $5.00 on clearance at Office Depot, I just found a Fellowes "Type N Go" PDA keyboard for a Palm V / Vx. I checked and they're selling for similar amounts on eBay.

It's a goofy little plastic clamshell case with a spot for the Palm to slide into, and an ugly numeric/alpha/functions keyboard inside the front cover. Obviously, deep inside (I haven't got it fully disassembled yet) it's got the circuitry necessary to graft a keyboard onto a Palm PDA. (Some driver software is included as well.)

I don't even have a Palm (yet), but it got me to thinking of a way to "reincarnate" a broken-down HP-41C. If the circuitry inside this thing could be made to graft an HP-41C keyboard onto a Palm PDA, and if the Palm's guts could be made to slide in & out of the top of the 41's case, then one might be able to create (with software) a combination calculator/PDA with a nice keyboard.

In "retracted mode", maybe only the top half-inch of the Palm's screen would show, where the 41's display used to be. In "extended mode", full-screen PDA functionality would be available.

I believe the 41's keyboard PCB could be connected to the Type N Go circuitry. Whether the keypresses result in similar electrical connections may indeed be an issue. (For example, I noted when fooling around with Pioneer keyboards that a certain amount of electrical resistance is expected by the chip -- simply shorting traces together didn't work.) But this can be tested with a multimeter -- I'll check that tonight. Obviously, the actual key-for-key correspondence wouldn't necessarily be that important, as they could be re-mapped by software.)

I have noted that a PDA's innnards might indeed be shoehorned into a 41's case, with some creative reconstruction. I don't know about the exact dimensions of a Palm V, nor whether it could be adapted to such a role (with or without its original external case).

But, if this could be pulled off, the PDA would bring with it lots of plusses: memory, connectivity, development tools, touch-screen capability, etc., while the 41's keyboard and case would no doubt continue to provide its great look & feel for years to come.

This isn't the first brainstorm along these lines with which I've been afflicted. I recently traded for an empty Card Reader shell to experiment with grafting the electronics from my TI-83+SE into the HP-41. The TI brings with it many of the benefits of the PDA: FLASH-upgradeable OS, lots of RAM, PC connectivity, and (for development) a Windows emulator & Z-80 Assembler development tools.

What's especially attractive about the TI-83+SE is the separate LCD PCB, connected to the relatively short main board via a 15-conductor (IIRC) ribbon cable. That would enable an extendable/retractable display like I envision for "the ultimate modern calculator".

Unfortunately, the LCD (and its board) is just a wee bit too wide to fit comfortably within the 41's case, and so would dictate rather more substantial rework than would be desirable. (However, I'm not sure I'd even need the card reader shell to extend the case lengthwise.)

Anyway, if you're still with me, any comments?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-41(CL): The easiest way to transfer FOCAL programs from a Linux PC to the HP-41 Geir Isene 13 5,559 12-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Hans Brueggemann
  Dedicated HP calculator programming-hardware-bug website? Geoff Quickfall 12 2,700 10-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Les Koller
  HP Prime (DVT Prototype) Hardware Details Adrien Bertrand 7 2,733 08-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Eric Smith
  [wp34s] Minor Issue with Stopwatch on real hardware RalfGeiger 3 2,051 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Eric Smith
  HP 10s+ hardware Mic 1 1,122 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  SY-41CL: Hardware Difference Between V2 and V3 Gerry Schultz 2 1,340 05-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Monte Dalrymple
  Program works in emulators but not on HP-15c hardware Marcel Samek 32 7,523 05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Jeff O.
  HP-41 keyboard issue - help from the hardware gurus here Geir Isene 7 2,384 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Geir Isene
  HP48S, different hardware construction Cristian Arezzini 5 1,796 01-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Mike Morrow
  HP17BII+ Hardware - Atmel processor? Thomas Chrapkiewicz 4 1,745 10-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Last Post: JamesT