The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251102 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251105 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251108 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251115 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251116 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251118 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251149 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251152 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251157 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251161 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251181 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251248 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251250 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251105 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251161 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251116 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251248 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 251250 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

HP Prime suggestions

These are my very first impressions that popped in my mind immediately after having played with the calculator (which I got today). All settings were default (except that I changed the date and time to reflect local values).

1. Only 4 brightness levels (ON+ and ON- to change) seems a bit inadequate after having been spoiled with variable brightness from my iPhone.

2. Graphing is super fast. But no 3D grapher. This would be so easy to implement, why was it not built in?

3. The first 26 letters of the alphabet appear to be reserved variables?! =( Moreover, if they are built-in variables, then they, along with the standard matrix variables M0-M9 and several other types of variables, should NOT appear in the list of [b]user variables[/b]. My actual variables (that I created) are at the bottom of this giant list of system variables (I'm calling anything I did not create a system variable).

4. The connector cable has a tetrazoidal plug. However, the female end appears symmetrical. Given that my new cable plugs in very stiffly into the HP, it is hard to tell whether there really is stiffness or (in the worst case scenario) if I am plugging in the cable the wrong way (possibly causing damage to the female port).

5. The touchscreen is nice, but even with clean fingers I see too much of a "mess" when the screen is turned off. Fingerprints don't look pretty. I suppose it is a necessary evil.

6. The title of the home screen serves no real purpose in my opinion. Is it suppose to remind us what the last app used was? If I exit from the Advanced Graphing app to the home screen, my home screen is titled Advanced Graphing -- why? This makes little sense.

7. User-defined functions are always computed as decimal values, even if there were no "." used within the formula. For example, if I create a function called FXY defined as 1/390*(X^3*Y-X*Y^3) and then enter FXY(1,2) -- whether in the home screen or CAS mode -- I do not get the exact value.

8. The programming interface is poorly organized. There are so many blank soft-menus, and yet every programming command/feature is crammed into two tiny little menus!

9. Syntax error messages in programs (with the included line number) does not really help if: a) there is no menu option to go back into the program and have the cursor right at the error line and b) there is no actual line numbering within the program editor -- assuming (a) is not feasible.

Other than those annoyances, everything else seems peachy so far! I love the new design. The case, however, seems odd somehow. If you look at it from the underside, it just looks... like it doesn't fit well. When I hold the calc with the case on (covering the screen) and feel where the case borders the bottom of the calc, it feels as though the case were too big (even though I know it is not).

Edited: 23 Sept 2013, 10:00 p.m.

In debug mode, curser goes to correct spot. Many of my initial mistakes involved not placing a semi colon at the end of a command line.

> 2. Graphing is super fast. But no 3D grapher. This would be so easy to implement, why was it not built in?

- Time

> 3. The first 26 letters of the alphabet are reserved variables; they, should NOT appear in the list of [b]user variables[/b].

- They are variables used by the user... so you see them in the memory manager. If you go to the var menu, they will show there all by themselves in the User menu

> USB connector

- this is a standard micro USB. They are prety much all like this in order to ensure good connection and not beeing pulled out...

> 5. The touchscreen is nice, I see too much of a "mess" when the screen is turned off. Fingerprints don't look pretty. I suppose it is a necessary evil.

- yep

> 6. The title of the home screen serves no real purpose in my opinion. Is it suppose to remind us what the last app used was?

- actually no, it tells you what is the CURRENT app. Since a number of things are sensitive to the current app (some settings, some variables and functions...) this is important.

> 7. User-defined functions are always computed as decimal values

- yes, user defined functions are numeric world concepts (I guess we could have CAS ones also). you can create a CAS function by doing foo(a,b):=begin a+b; end

> 8. The programming interface is poorly organized. There are so many blank soft-menus, and yet every programming command/feature is crammed into two tiny little menus!

- There is only 1 blank menu (the last one). the 2 others are page up page down...

9. Syntax error messages in programs (with the included line number) does not really help

- in the programming editor, use the check menu and it will give you syntax errros and put you where the error is.

cyrille

Thank you for the quick reply, Cyrille!

I realize that A-Z are variables to be used by the user, but they already existed without me "creating" them. One cannot store just anything into, say, Z -- only real numbers. So to me, I do not really consider that a user variable. Using something like "COOL" for a variable name, the user is prompted if they want to create a new variable of that name.

Regarding the USB connector, I like the stiffness. I just was curious why the female port wasn't in the same shape as the male connector to quickly recognize which way the cable is supposed to be plugged in.

And thank you for the tip about the program editor! Overall I think this is a great calc.

> 6. The title of the home screen serves no real purpose in my opinion. Is it suppose to remind us what the last app used was?

Also, adding to what cyrille said, the application is STILL active. There are plenty of per app screens (symb, plot, num, symb-setup, plot setup, num setup, the VIEWS key, info), variables and functions that are tied to the application, and the associated user program that is active only when the app is turned on.

>but they already existed without me "creating" them. One cannot store just anything into, say, Z -- only real numbers.

Yes, this is a difference between a 50g type machine for sure. The primary benefit is that the complexity is reduced for them. It can be annoying for more advanced users though as you've pointed out since they do enforce type.

>I just was curious why the female port wasn't in the same shape

Because it is a USB Micro A for host operations between the data streamer and other calculators. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Types-usb_th1.svg)

> Overall I think this is a great calc.

Thanks! I do too, and am confident it will be continuing to get even better. :-)

TW

Edited: 24 Sept 2013, 10:56 a.m.

Quote:

Also, adding to what cyrille said, the application is STILL active. There are plenty of per app screens (symb, plot, num, symb-setup, plot setup, num setup, the VIEWS key, info), variables and functions that are tied to the application, and the associated user program that is active only when the app is turned on.

This makes much more sense to me now. As an aside -- how does one "exit" an app? Or is that even necessary?

Quote:
>but they already existed without me "creating" them. One cannot store just anything into, say, Z -- only real numbers.

Yes, this is a difference between a 50g type machine for sure. The primary benefit is that the complexity is reduced for them. It can be annoying for more advanced users though as you've pointed out since they do enforce type.

>I just was curious why the female port wasn't in the same shape

Because it is a USB Micro A for host operations between the data streamer and other calculators. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Types-usb_th1.svg)

Another "oh I see now..." moment. =)

Quote:
> Overall I think this is a great calc.

Thanks! I do too, and am confident it will be continuing to get even better. :-)

TW

Looking forward to any and all future updates! =)

Quote:
This makes much more sense to me now. As an aside -- how does one "exit" an app? Or is that even necessary?

There is no way to "exit" and app. There will always be 1 active. You can think of it not as multitasking but rather task switching.

TW

One point more :

No sound capabilities !

Didier

If it's being used in schools, this is a definite plus!

Nigel (UK)

Do you find sound capabilities in the TI-Nspire CX CAS or Classpad II fx-CP400?

It appears that manufacturers don't want their products to make noise in a classroom/library/exam hall environment.

You know almost all manufacturers are targetting education market rather than a mass market.

Edited: 24 Sept 2013, 11:11 a.m.

Quote:
Do you find sound capabilities in the TI-Nspire CX CAS or Classpad II fx-CP400?

It appears that manufacturers don't want their products to make noise in a classroom/library/exam hall environment.

You know almost all manufacturers are targetting education market rather than a mass market.

Sound is nice but not a must IMO. I am sure the teachers are grateful that sound isn't present.

[Idea] in the classroom sound it could block software

Quote:
Sound is nice but not a must IMO. I am sure the teachers are grateful that sound isn't present.

I don't really care one way or the other about sound, but given that there is "exam mode" it seems it would be easy to disable sound when you need to silence an entire classroom full of HP Primes :-)

My guess is that a speaker would add extra cost, thickness, and development time into a product that has had the misfortune of being released after most students in the USA have already started classes.

Han

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime: First 4 Weeks -- Suggestions James Williams 4 1,842 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Chris Pem10
  HP Prime - EEX/X/Toolbox-key suggestions bluesun08 2 1,488 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bluesun08
  suggestions for HP prime dietmar13 2 1,391 10-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Joe Horn
  Minor suggestions for next edition of WP-34S manual Marcel Samek 4 1,724 08-21-2013, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  [WP34s] A few humble suggestions Dieter 14 3,697 08-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  Sharp PC 1211 display change -- problem overnight -- suggestions? Gene Wright 12 3,155 05-16-2012, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Bart (UK)
  34S suggestions David Hayden 70 13,147 09-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  [WP34s] suggestions Lode 12 3,219 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  Eric's overlay - my experience and suggestions Cristian Arezzini 5 1,546 06-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Gerry Schultz
  Suggestions for WP-34s overlay installation BobVA 10 2,615 06-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Last Post: BobVA