The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204725 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204727 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204732 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204739 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204753 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204755 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204779 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204784 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204727 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204739 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 204784 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

HP 41: a documentation odyssey

I have zero knowledge on the legendary HP 41 series of calculators and derivatives (C, CV, CX, CL … even Z?). From times to times I have been tempted to acquire one, but prices have always been too high to really justify the disbursement, thus I never really felt any urgency to read the extensive documentation available.

Guided by my “everything 34s” infatuation, I followed with interest but at the same time with increased distress this post about a polynomial solver for the 34s. Apart from the, IMHO, unfair treatment towards Valentín Albillo, there is what I consider the real jewel : Ángel Martin’s post of Albillo’s solver for the HP 41. Could I, even with my infinite ignorance on the subject, port this to the 34s as a programming exercise? Naively as always, I said yes and began trying to decipher the code... and this is when things became interesting :-)

So, here I am with my first obstacle: two instructions [SIZE?] and [PSIZE]. “Very well, this should be somewhere in the user handbook” - I said to myself. I decided to search on what is here called TOS... and found no reference whatsoever on the entire manual. What the heck??? I googled them and I got the same fruitless result. Is this some kind of arcane, undocumented and obscure code only accessible to the initiated? I began to wonder. Back to TOS, I found a manual written by Ángel. Ah ha! And I see a program using the dreaded codes, both of them! And also my next significant clue: XROM 25, A6:6C. So, this is an extended rom thing and I had to look for the number 25!

Back to the museum, I look for this rom on the software>xrom section, finding several rom extensions implementing these two instructions, including an extended functions module identified with number 25! But there is no description of these instructions and even if I already had a little idea of what they do, I wanted to know how they really work. The next step was to look into the HP41 section of the museum and see that this module has a product number: the 82180A, and therefore there should be a user manual. So back again to TOS and voilà, finally the Holy Grail and reward of this embarrassing quest: the 82180A extended function/memory module manual, somewhat buried in the standard peripheral section of the library with the descriptions I was longing for.

So, I can finally advance to line 11 :-)

Conclusions

- After finishing writing these lines I will buy the museum DVD. It is really a must. Until now, I was satisfied with CDs I and II which contains the majority of manuals for my collection.

- It was a really fun Saturday morning activity ...

- But, I will never post a so shameful confession again!

Have a nice weekend!

Miguel

Edited: 12 Nov 2011, 11:26 a.m.

A better place to start if you can is the 41CX Owners manual, which included those extended functions in the original documentation.

But, how were you to know? :-)

Enjoy the journey!

Miguel, you're at the beginning of a wonderful ride! :-)
Here's a link thak can help a lot, provides the User Manuals on-line for the main 41 and the Extended functions:

http://www.greendyk.nl/hp41c-manual/index.php

The program in question has a few functions from the 41Z - another extension to the system that I wrote to handle complex numbers in a "decent" way, no FOCAL programs pls. If you're interested in Valentin's original listing I think it's available in one of the PPC TN, I should be able to dig out the reference.

Yes I think it should be easy to port to the 34S, but that may be just my ignorance since I'm not familiar with it.

Si tienes alguna pregunta me puedes escribir a:
"ovolacteoarrobaonlinepuntode"

Saludos,
'AM.

Thank you very much Ángel. I will read the manual (it is much easier in pdf format) and certainly I will take advantage of your kind offer for help.

Saludos,

Miguel

Quote:
Guided by my “everything 34s” infatuation, I followed with interest but at the same time with increased distress this post about a polynomial solver for the 34s. Apart from the, IMHO, unfair treatment towards Valentín Albillo, there is what I consider the real jewel : Ángel Martin’s post of Albillo’s solver for the HP 41.

Thanks for your appreciation of my effort of 30+ years past. As for the "unfait treatment" towards me, don't worry, I'm more than used to it by now and doesn't upset me in the least. From Wikipedia:

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, [...] Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

• tend to overestimate their own level of skill;

• fail to recognize genuine skill in others;

• fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;

• recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve."

I'm sure you can think of a number of people who should wear this shoe, as it fits exactly, isn't it ? ... :D

Thanks again, Miguel, have a nice weekend, and

Best regards from V.

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, [...] Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

• tend to overestimate their own level of skill;

• fail to recognize genuine skill in others;

• fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;

• recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve."

LOL, many thanks for this quote - I won't have been able to describe you better! ;-)

Franz

Franz, now you're going too far! I'd prefer you stick to your frequently repeated announciation and quit.

Quote:
Franz, now you're going too far! I'd prefer you stick to your frequently repeated announciation and quit.

Don't worry Walter, I already did quit!

I just had to defend myself after this posting of Mr.V.A., who continued to attack me and tried to make an idiot out of me, and this only because he didn't like my statements about some mathematical issue (although I even have the proof for it).

So you won't read here anything from me anymore -

well, at least unless these offences against me continue.

Franz

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP-41(CL): The easiest way to transfer FOCAL programs from a Linux PC to the HP-41 Geir Isene 13 5,554 12-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Hans Brueggemann
  HP Prime documentation Nate Martin 10 3,115 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Last Post: toml_12953
  Documentation about Hp50g / 49g+ / 48gII and wikis Pier Aiello 9 2,848 09-10-2013, 04:22 AM
Last Post: Software49g
  HP-30B (WP-34S) Technical Documentation Barry Mead 3 1,616 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Harald
  WP-34s Documentation error Marcel Samek 9 2,705 06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Miguel Toro
  HP41 Blank formulars for program documentation? Wolfgang 3 1,456 02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wolfgang
  9100 Documentation Charlie Brett 4 1,685 08-24-2012, 02:59 AM
Last Post: Bruce Larrabee
  [WP 34S] Final documentation check Walter B 18 5,179 07-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  Documentation bug in original 15C manual BruceH 6 1,983 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Mike Morrow
  [WP34S] Documentation for Advanced Programming Commands and Techniques Les Wright 4 1,603 04-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Paul Dale