The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 171166 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 171173 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 171177 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 171189 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 171195 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 171195 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

Labelling HP41/67/97 magnetic cards

At the moment I am having my good old HP-41 card reader serviced.
From what I've heard so far it has come back to life, almost 20 years after the fatal day I dropped it and it broke into pieces.

Now I would like to reuse the magnetic cards I still have from
the eighties and early nineties. I think some of them may be
overwritten without the loss of important (or just interesting :-)) programs or other data.

However, in the old days most of these cards were labelled with a black overhead marker (Staedtler Lumocolor permanent SF). So the first question is how to remove this (with alcohol?) while the second, more interesting idea is to make a completely new label, preferably laser-printed.

So I made a kind of template in Photoshop, having the look and size of a blank HP magnetic card, so that individual text and other info can be easily added. My first idea is to print this on self-adhesive labels or adhesive paper, but - will the added thickness cause any problems while the card passes trough the reader?

Or maybe someone has a better idea?

Dieter

Hi, Dieter;

I usually follow the manufacturer suggestion, so, based on the HP82104A manual, I'd not try adhesive labels on it. I am also taking into consideration the fine adjustment available with the pressure roller, and I think it is almost as fine as a paper thickness. Should check.

I use CD markers and have achieved good results. If you are actually going to remove the existing labels, I'd suggest backing their contents up (read all cards, save their contents into another media like disk, tape, MLDL2000 RAM, CLONIX series and related HEPAX stuff, then save it into the computer) prior to any cleaning procedure. Just in case... Then perform the cleaning and new labeling and check if contents are still valid.

I have cards written in the 80's that were all backed up about eight years ago. Most of the original cards still retain their contents, others I had to rewrite and just two of them (amongst 80) are lost.

Hope this gives you some perspective.

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 28 Aug 2010, 11:35 a.m.

Hi, Luiz -

I couldn't resist and made a sample card with an self-adhesive label. With the label attached the card is 0.32 mm thick, compared to 0.22 mm without. Since my card reader is being serviced at the moment I can't say whether this will cause any problems or not. On the one hand it's only 0.1 mm more, on the other hand it's about 50 percent. :-)

Back in the eighties I used black permanent marker pens, similar to what's today known as CD marker, just with an extra fine tip. About half of the cards still looks fine, i.e. with sharp contours, perfectly readable, while others appear somewhat washed-out.

Most of the cards hold programs that I would like to keep (if they can still by read). Others are less important and can be overwritten, and for these cards I'm looking for a way to remove the existing labelling and/or provide a new one. And, if possible, something that looks better than before. :-)

Backups? Disks? Tape? MLDL-stuff? Sorry, I don't have anything like that. Yes, some kind of computer connectivity would be nice, recently I read about this PIL-box thing. I think I have yet to get familiar with all this. I'm more interested in software and algorithms than in hardware. You know, I'm one of these guys with five left thumbs on each hand, as we say over here. ;-) Well... maybe using MCODE could be something I would like to try. But that's a different story.

Dieter

from experience, DO NOT use adhesive labels. ;-(

The added thickness (which translates into resistance) stresses the pinch roller, dampening couple and therefore the motor.

I tried the clear adhesive lable type and they look fantastic but ended up ruining the the dampening couple which then cause me to enter the calc and repair the already repaired couple.

Cheers, Geoff

In the old days letroset worked but did smudge after a time.

Cheers again!!

Besides, new old stock magnetic cards are easily available at TAS (or at least they used to be).

Gerson.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hp-41 Cards Marcel Samek 8 3,096 11-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Garth Wilson
  request M.E. pac for HP-67/97 wallet cover scan Ignacio Sánchez 0 1,046 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Ignacio Sánchez Reig
  HP-67/97 Mechanical engineering PAC cover Ignacio Sánchez 0 999 10-30-2013, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Ignacio Sánchez Reig
  re-recording original cards aj04062 2 1,468 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Dieter
  magnetic strip malfunction aurelio 7 2,494 01-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Last Post: aurelio
  Series 80 EPROM cards Paul Berger (Canada) 0 1,130 12-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Paul Berger (Canada)
  Anyone willing to read some HP41 cards? LarryLion 10 2,846 09-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Juergen Keller
  HP 48SX Solve Equation Library Cards Mike Hein 3 1,478 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Chris Dreher
  Question about magnetic cards for the HP-41C Card Reader Namir 2 1,433 08-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Namir
  HP-67/97 Mag Cards...Can they be marketed again? Matt Agajanian 11 3,449 05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Dale Reed