The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1663 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1664 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1668 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1675 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1676 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1681 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1664 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1668 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1681 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

HP 41CX catalog function etc.

I am the proud new owner of a HP 41CX. I do not have an owners manual for this calculator though I do have the 41C/CV manual. Using the method given for executing functions from the built in catalog for the CV doesn't work on my CX. Specifically if I call up "beep" in "catalog 3" and try to execute it from the display it won't do it. It executes fine from the keyboard. I have tried every method I can think of. Similarly if I try to put 10 on the stack and call up 1/X from the catalog I cannot get it to execute. What I would really like it to get the correct manual but I cannot locate a source. For now this thing is VERY frustrating. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

John, It sounds to me like you have misread the HP-41C/CV manual. It is not possible to execute functions from the "catalog" on any HP-41, regardless of model. These are the normal ways to execute a function; 1. If it has a key on the keyboard, press this key (without the USER, ALPHA, or PROG modes set) 2. XEQ ALPHA function name ALPHA 3. Load the function name (limited to six character or less functions) into the ALPHA REGISTER, ASTO into any other register, and XEQ IND (press gold key) register name 4. ASN ALPHA function name ALPHA to any key, and enter user mode and press the key.

As Dan said, the built-in functions in catalog 3 and the plug-in module functions in catalog 2 can't be executed from a catalog list. However, if you have user programs loaded into program memory, then you can execute them like this:

1. List catalog 1. 2. Stop the list with the name of the program you want in the display. 3. Press the backspace key. 4. Press the run/stop (R/S) key.

This works because listing catalog 1 and pressing backspace leaves the program pointer at the beginning of the program listed in the display. It's the equivalent of doing GTO ALPHA program name ALPHA. Since listing catalogs 2 and 3 doesn't pull the listed functions into program memory, you can't use this method to execute them. (Although, if you use the COPY function to copy a function from catalog 2 into program memory, then you can execute it from catalog 1 with the above procedure.)

Thanks Wayne and Dan for your responses to my post. I'm still a little confused however. The HP 41C/CV manual that I have states:

"Pressing CATALOG followed by 1,2,or 3 causes the display to cycle through the catalog designated. During a catalog display, pressing any key other than ON or R/S will slow the listing , and pressing R/S will halt the listing……….

Pressing SST displays the next item in the catalog Pressing 2nd BST displays the previous item in the catalog Pressing R/S resumes the catalog display Pressing any other key terminates the catalog display and executes the appropriate function."

It is the last statement, "executes the appropriate function," that led me to believe that it executed the displayed function, I guess not. My HP 42S does exactly that and it is a feature that I use all the time. I guess it is an "improvement" over the 41 in that regard.

The "appropriate function" the manual refers to is the one associated with the "other key" that is pressed when the catalog is paused with R/S. Hopefully that clears up the confusion.

Confusion is cleared up. Thanks Dan.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP50g: Writing a function that returns a function Chris de Castro 2 2,063 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Han
  IFERR function on HP Prime Mic 2 1,779 12-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Last Post: cyrille de Brébisson
  HP Prime: Dirichlet's eta function recognized but not numerically evaluated Helge Gabert 0 1,123 11-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Helge Gabert
  Possible bug with sqrt function in the HP prime Michael de Estrada 6 2,435 11-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  HP-41 MCODE: The Last Function - at last! Ángel Martin 0 1,020 11-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  HP Prime 'where' function bluesun08 11 3,281 10-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Joe Horn
  HP Prime - Defining a function bluesun08 5 2,244 10-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Han
  HP PRIME Function parameters steindid 2 1,400 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Last Post: steindid
  HP Prime can't find how to use partfrac function ! dg1969 3 1,580 10-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Joe Horn
  HP Prime function APP - Strange limitation ! :o( dg1969 2 1,548 10-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Last Post: dg1969