N cell alkaline batteries, inexpensive



#10

I was looking in the Mouser catalog for batteries for something else (actually the smallest lead-acid ones I can find) and came across their Gold Peak alkaline N cells: $.65/ea in singles, $.59/ea in qty 100-499 Mouser stock number 573-910A. There's another N cell, Energizer, Mouser stock number 525-E90, for $1.42/ea, or $1.34/ea if you buy 10. Go to mouser.com and put the stock numbers in the search bar near the top. That's considerably less than I've paid at Radio Shack for my HP-41 batteries. I buy parts occasionally from Mouser, so I would wait until I'm ready to order other stuff.


#11

Thanks Garth! I ordered 50 batteries from the web site.

Namir


#12

Quote:
I ordered 50 batteries...
How many 41's do you have? Shelf life is short for cheap Chinese cells. I have bought blister packs of the A76 size (Pioneers) and they go bad in the pack before I can use them all.
#13

I've seen these batteries before in other flavors, like AA size. They came in some Fluke DMMs we have in the lab. They lasted about 1/2 as long as a Duracell/Energizer and leaked on us. I swore to never allow the Gold Peak brand back in our office.

I hope you have better luck that we had. After my experiences I only use Duracell or Energizer. Our lab gear is worth more than a few bucks spent on a battery that doesn't leak easily and if it does is warranted. Plus in the end nothing was saved cost wise since they didn't last as long. You could tell they would not last as long since the batteries weighed a whole lot less than well known brands. They must have had dramatically less active chemicals in them than the brand names.


#14

So if they're a lot lighter and don't last nearly as long, maybe they're not really alkaline and they're just lying, as was the case with a small Chinese FM radio I made the mistake of buying. It says "stereo" right on it, but it's not. The left and right earphones get the same signal. They probably figured, "Who's going to prosecute us?" Anyway, the Energizer-brand batteries are still there for $1.42/ea, or $1.34/ea if you buy 10.

Edited: 2 Mar 2010, 11:28 p.m.


#15

Quote:
So if they're a lot lighter and don't last nearly as long, maybe they're not really alkaline and they're just lying, as was the case with a small Chinese FM radio I made the mistake of buying. It says "stereo" right on it, but it's not. The left and right earphones get the same signal. They probably figured, "Who's going to prosecute us?" Anyway, the Energizer-brand batteries are still there for $1.42/ea, or $1.34/ea if you buy 10.



I don't think they were lying, it's just they did not put as much active chemicals in the cell and hence did not last long. I find that 'bargain' brand batteries often are not a bargain when you consider they wear out quicker. I've stuck with Duracell or Energizer, even though more expensive, since they last longest and price/time used works out to be the same. Plus if they leak and trash my device both companies are good about reimbursing you for replacement.


#16

Quote:
it's just they did not put as much active chemicals in the cell and hence did not last long
The fact that they weighed a lot less too however suggests a different type of battery. I've seen some very misleading labeling on Chinese batteries, but I don't remember if they just straight out said they were alkaline when they were zinc-chloride. I have had to tell our customers sometimes when they complained about battery life that "Heavy Duty" normally means zinc-chloride, not alkaline. The next step down below that of course is carbon-zinc.
#17

Quote:
and came across their Gold Peak alkaline N cells:

I once bought a pack of Gold Peak button cells (for Pioneer/Voyager) via eBay, after becoming chagrined with short life in my HP-17B and HP-27S calc's. I later learned in this Forum how to turn off the clock ("coma" mode -- turn off while also pressing upper-right and lower-right keys). Use of an emulator (such as Thomas Okken's Free42) can reduce usage of the IR printer on the HP-42S.

I had no problems with the cheap cells, but did not feel confident entrusting vintage electronics to them.

Energizer silver oxide US-made 13/44/76/357 cells can now be bought in convenient and more-economical three-packs -- just the ticket for for Pioneer and Voyager series models.

Quote:
That's considerably less than I've paid at Radio Shack for my HP-41 batteries.

The electronics/photo departments at stores like Target or Fred Meyer (US Northwest) also sell calculator cells. Probably not much cheaper than RS, though.

-- KS

Edited: 3 Mar 2010, 1:58 a.m.

#18

Quote:
I was looking in the Mouser catalog for batteries for something else (actually the smallest lead-acid ones I can find) and came across their Gold Peak alkaline N cells: $.65/ea in singles, $.59/ea in qty 100-499 Mouser stock number 573-910A. There's another N cell, Energizer, Mouser stock number 525-E90, for $1.42/ea, or $1.34/ea if you buy 10. Go to mouser.com and put the stock numbers in the search bar near the top. That's considerably less than I've paid at Radio Shack for my HP-41 batteries. I buy parts occasionally from Mouser, so I would wait until I'm ready to order other stuff.

Just keep an eye on those cells, make sure they don't leak. Outside of that no harm in trying them. I'm also curious to see if you get the same life out of your '41 like you did from Duracell/Energizer.

When I had a 41c (broke in 1998 after being dropped one too many times), I never had to buy batteries for it. My father's best friend was a Duracell exec that worked in the plant making the N cells. He'd give me 12 packs whenever I'd visit my home town. The cells were typically a week old or less right off the production line. :-) I went 18 years with never having to buy a battery for that calc.

Edited: 3 Mar 2010, 9:42 a.m.


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive HP 30b Matthew Richards 23 2,856 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Dave
  best button cell batteries JDonley 6 942 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Last Post: JDonley
  Source for N-Cell NiMh Batteries and Charging adapters TnC_Products 14 1,772 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Dieter
  Java RPN app for cell phone Peter Klein 12 1,617 10-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Pete Wilson
  Zinc-Air PR44 button cell batteries Basil 3 666 08-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  N Size Cell Charger Gerry Schultz 3 714 06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gerry Schultz
  Ok, the hunt is on... Nimh charger solution for N-cell batteries in the USA Gene Wright 34 3,534 06-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Bill (Smithville, NJ)
  Cell leakage in my 48S Palmer O. Hanson, Jr. 2 597 05-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Katie Wasserman
  Cell types for Pioneers Martin Pinckney 1 418 11-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Dieter
  Re: N cell alkaline batteries, inexpensive ClausB 0 350 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Last Post: ClausB

Forum Jump: