The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140546 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140562 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140564 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140565 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140569 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140578 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140580 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140583 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140585 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140586 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140662 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140866 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140866 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140586 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 140662 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

i41CX+ on iPod touch

Hi all!

I haven't been around for awhile, but learning about the subject line app has brought me back to the fold.

Despite the smushed interface and tiny keys, the app really is a thing of beauty. I was wondering about how to get data (modules and programs) into the thing, but this is no hardship. MOD files can be downloaded directly into the simulator from TOS--you just have to type in the right URL for the file. As for programs, the well known RAW format seems to be used. There are many RAW files in the software library of this very site. Last summer I went on a binge of converting many of my own and others text listings into RAW files using Leo Duran's hp41uc utility, mostly to create barcode or for use with V41 or Free42. Looks like I am going to have to get me a network address or webpage to upload to and download my own files from. If anyone has a simpler way I would like to know, but as it stands it seems that downloading directly from a known URL is the best way to get modules and programs into the simulator.

For a couple of years I have enthusiastically used Free42 on my Palm TX as my main keystroke programming tool. This may supersede it, until such time as we see an iPhone port of Free42 as well. That would be a lovely thing indeed.

Les

Quote:
MOD files can be downloaded directly into the simulator from TOS--you just have to type in the right URL for the file.

If you take the default URL directory listing, it will download all the modules. Then you will have any module you need on or offline and you can select with the scroll wheel and not have to know the exact URL of anything.

RAW files work the same say. E.g. if you click Load and use my URL (http://sense.net/~egan/41cx), it will download all the RAW programs and give you a scroll wheel for selection.

I've already requested a new feature that allows users to remove any unwanted programs or modules. Hopefully in 1.0.1. Not that space is the issue (its all < 1MB), but clutter is.

Quote:
For a couple of years I have enthusiastically used Free42 on my Palm TX as my main keystroke programming tool. This may supersede it, until such time as we see an iPhone port of Free42 as well. That would be a lovely thing indeed.

I look forward to Free42 as well. But i41CXp may outshine Free42 in efficiency. The ability to use the QWERTY keyboard for ALPHA is a one advantage. Network download of code is a big plus. And, I like the ability to save and email printer output.

I've mentioned in an earlier thread that I bumped into a problem with i41cxp on iPhone.

Please can you try to reproduce on iPod touch - let's see if it is a platform specific problem or a genuine bug, which I'd then report to the author.

1. Clear all memory, start from scratch.
2. Enter the following program (purposefully trivial, but reproduces the problem on my machine every time) -

LBL"ZZ
ENTER
+
RTN
END

3. Assign program ZZ to EEX key (other keys may also demonstrate the issue)

ASN ZZ EEX

4.Go to USER mode, then try to invoke a program

ENTER
EEX

At this point, i41cxp seemingly freezes.
If you hit iPhone's home button, and invoke i41cxp again, it will display LOADING... and sort of resume. 5 will be displayed as 5.0000 in X, and if you hit EEX then, it will run program ZZ correctly displaying 20.

I can confirm that the release 1.0.1 on iPhone software 2.1 (5F136) appears to fix this issue - I can't reproduce it any longer.
The "flying goose" also seems much more consistent in 1.0.1, so it could be that the original bug was related to screen handling. Doesn't matter any longer :)

Egan, I agree that not being able to easily remove those scroll entries is a pain, and leads to cluttered lists. Removing the application by deselecting Application syncing in iTunes then reinstalling it basically resets the program to factory default, but that is a bit extreme, save restoring the iPod altogether (done that too). Reinstalling the program may not be an option if you downloaded it directly to the iPod/iPhone via the handheld AppStore--don't know for certain, haven't tried yet.

Mac Users who access the internet via WiFi (and who doesn't these days?) can activate Web Sharing in Preferences, get the URL associated with the /Users/Your Name Here/Sites folder, and download their own RAW files from there. I have quite a few of my own, and still create them in a Windows VM using the command line and Duran's hp41uc utility, then drag and drop the results over to the Mac environment. Much easier to type up a text file, convert to RAW, and download to the iPod than type in all those keystrokes, even for smaller programs.

This first iteration is a little buggy (I have reproduced the hanging issue noted below), and I look forward to refinements. In particular, I have found a couple of bugs in the printer implementation. First, printing mode does not persist--one can have TRACE selected and print successfully, but if one closes then opens i41CX again TRACE mode behaviour doesn't persist, even though TRACE remains selected. On must select it again, and then printing works again. Also, output is occasionally wonky--for example, try CAT 2 in TRACE mode. Each line is followed by "CAT 2" overlaying what should be there. This is not correct.

I have also found that sometimes module loading goes a little haywire. If I do a CAT 2 after doing a change to my module configuration, the changes may not be correctly reflected right away, but all is well if I exit and restart the calculator from the menu.

But this is chicken feed whingeing. For a mere 18 bucks (10 for the OS upgrade and 8 for the program) I have one of the best handheld HP simulators I have ever experienced, and I like Free42 a little more largely out of my preference for the 42S interface and my intense loyalty to and affection for Thomas.

It's a fine contribution to our community and lovers of the calculator and the iPod/iPhone will get much pleasure from it for so little cost.

Les

Quote:
I have quite a few of my own, and still create them in a Windows VM using the command line and Duran's hp41uc utility, then drag and drop the results over to the Mac environment.

Try DOSBox sometime. You can run HP41UC in a DOSBox Window on top of your existing OS/X file system. DOSBox is a DOS and x86 emulator, there is no OS to install, just download and run DOSBox for OS/X.
Quote:
I have found a couple of bugs in the printer implementation. First, printing mode does not persist--one can have TRACE selected and print successfully, but if one closes then opens i41CX again TRACE mode behaviour doesn't persist, even though TRACE remains selected. On must select it again, and then printing works again. Also, output is occasionally wonky--for example, try CAT 2 in TRACE mode. Each line is followed by "CAT 2" overlaying what should be there. This is not correct.

Fixed in 1.0.1, or so I was told.
Quote:
I have also found that sometimes module loading goes a little haywire. If I do a CAT 2 after doing a change to my module configuration, the changes may not be correctly reflected right away, but all is well if I exit and restart the calculator from the menu.

Have you tried using the 41CX ON button, like you would normally do with a 41CX? It is not a rhetorical question, I really want to know if that works.
Quote:
I like Free42 a little more largely out of my preference for the 42S interface and my intense loyalty to and affection for Thomas.

I am fond of Free42 as well. I look forward to iPhone version. Why choose when you can have both?

I ask because I simply downloaded the version available thru the App Store.

I will definitely try DOSBox. hp41uc is such an easy command line tool to use.

Les

Quote:
I ask because I simply downloaded the version available thru the App Store.

I was told by the developer that 1.0.1 was released to the App Store. So, we just wait. Still waiting on Nonpareil as well.

Thanks, Egan. That printer bug is really a bit irksome. Right now I can only print out readable program listings in NORM mode. I like to use PRP with MAN to keep things over to the left, but the gibberish creeps in.

I am having much success creating fresh RAW files from improved versions of favourite program listings and importing them over the network. Works well. DOSBox is very good, but I wish I could figure out how to maintain preferences so I don't have to manually remount my working folder every time I open. Must do more research.... Thanks for the tip.

Les

Quote:
I wish I could figure out how to maintain preferences so I don't have to manually remount my working folder every time I open. Must do more research.... Thanks for the tip.

In your settings folder (or something like that), there is a DOSBox configuration file. Edit with a text editor. At the end is an autoexec section, just add your statements there.

BTW, EMU41 and EMU71 work just fine in DOSBox.

The file is called DOSBox Preferences and must be installed manually in the user's ~/Library/Preferences folder. Once it's there, it's easy enough to edit the autoexec section to automatically mount my working directory.

Les

Quote:

I am fond of Free42 as well. I look forward to iPhone version. Why choose when you can have both?

I have long liked Free42's speed, even on my ancient Sony Clie, and the high-precision BCD arithmetic in the Decimal version. I hope the iPhone/iPod touch OS will support a port of both the Binary and Decimal versions and the user can choose one (as with the Palm OS) or even both. In this case the Free42 is very much a simulator, not an emulator, as the speed and internal precision are not native to the 42S and instead are from Thomas' and Hugh Steers' code.

Les

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime touch periodic table : new version Mic 4 1,967 11-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Terje Vallestad
  Touch periodic table on HP Prime - revisited Terje Vallestad 2 1,384 11-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Mic
  How to create a touch button [HP Prime] uklo 1 1,213 11-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  Touch periodic table on HP Prime Mic 30 8,689 10-27-2013, 04:45 AM
Last Post: Les Koller
  Tic Tac Toe touch for HP Prime Mic 6 2,389 10-25-2013, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Mic
  HP Prime touch button SanS 3 1,502 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Han
  [i41CX+] Sandmath 4.4 David Maier 1 1,391 09-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  i41CX for iOS with page addressing Sylvain Cote 3 1,405 06-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  New HP-25 Emulator for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Namir 5 2,056 05-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  OT: Tactile Touch Screen Ethan Conner 2 1,190 03-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Garth Wilson