The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106265 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 275 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 23 ThreadedMode::showthread_threaded
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 threaded_mode_showthread_threaded
/showthread.php 918 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106274 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106291 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106300 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106314 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106315 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106316 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106323 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106341 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106389 - Line: 275 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 295 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $fid - Line: 295 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106274 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 332 ThreadedMode::buildtree
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined array key 106389 - Line: 331 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 331 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 304 ThreadedMode::buildtree
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php 305 eval
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 3 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $theme - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 3 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $lang - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "messages_in_thread" on null - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/threaded_mode.php(305) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error_callback

HP 19B Business Consultant II Repair

I've owned this calculator since college (18 years). A few months ago a few keys stopped working. More specifically, all the keys which are vertically aligned with 2, 5, 8, etc. I would like to take it apart to see if maybe it's just dirty, but can't figure out how to do that without the risk of breaking the case. If that is not possible I would like to get it repaired, if the cost is reasonable. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy of fixthatcalc.com at the following address:http://www.fixthatcalc.com/feelist.htm states on the very bottom of the chart that clamshell models such as yours are unrepairable.

You could probably give it a bath (w/o batteries of course) and dry out and hope. However, should you take it apart, that is basically sentencing the calculator to the great calculator bin in the sky. You may be a better repairman than Randy, but he does do it often, and does have excellent references to his work and if he has stated this type of calculator to be unrepairable, it is most certainly a difficult fix at the very least.

That said, a bath would be something to try. Also I would go to ebay and buy another. The Hp 19B is actually fairly reasonalbe compared to most Hp's found on ebay. Also you might consider two other similar calculators, the precuser to the Hp 19B, the Hp 18c or the Voyager model, the Hp 17B. W/o RPN all models sell for less than comparable RPN featured calculators (Hp17Bii or Hp 19Bii).

Good luck!

Ron summed it up as best that bad news can be summed - it cannot be repaired.

The plastic heat stakes that hold the case together have broken and allowed the back and front case halves to separate causing a loss in connection between the keyboard connector and logic board.

You can confirm this by peeling away the keyboard surround overlay (a reversible process) and looking at the heat stake heads. Several will probably fall out or be attached to the overlay. The ones that cause the keyboard contact problem are shown here:

IMO, there is no good or simple way to repair once the stakes break off from the back of the case. Yes, you might come up with a solution but chances are that once you start fixing the broken ones, more will fail in a zipper effect. It's the stress of opening and closing the case that leads to the failures.

Randy,

Do you have any HP19II battery cover for sale?

Namir

PS: I got back the 41CX today. Thanks for the cleanup!

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid of the likelihood it couldn't be repaired. I have a 12C which was given to me this past year when I started my new job, but I'm accustom to the 19's operations. I may buy another one. FWIW: in 1987 I was the first person to own one of these calculators in college and it was great. My professors were unaware of it and it's capabilites which was a great advantage and a great tool, and still is today. I have a nephew who is a college freshman and I would like to get him an HP. Which one would you recommend?

What is his major?

The Hp19B is no longer made, but it did have both business and scientific functions that allowed it to cross over to both business and engineering.

If he is a business major, you can still buy the Hp17bii BRAND NEW off of ebay for a bit less than list for the Hp17Bii+ (Hp's newest, best financial). It is better made than todays calculators and while it only has 7K ram in comparision to the newer Hp17Bii+'s 32K, without any real I/O, the extra Ram is really worthless (Memory LOST anyone?).

If he is more scientifically inclined, either an Hp50G, Hp39G or an Hp33s.

For a pocket calculator the Hp33s is an okay calculator with an obnoxious keyboard design. I use one, but only because it is an easily replacable RPN calculator. I actually prefer to use a graphics over the Hp33s, but I also hate the obtrusively large graphics. I might even suggest an older Hp20s over the Hp33s if I had only one to choose from (The Hp20s is algebraic AOS only, and I do prefer the Hp33s as it is selectable and I do prefer RPN). The Hp33s does have a solver, but not nearly as nice as your Hp19B (the Hp17B, Hp50G and Hp39GS have the same solvers as your Hp19b as well)

If you are considering a graphics, the Hp50G does seem to be a great calculator. It is very complex compared to everything else out there (the extra power brings with it a LOT of extra complexity!). While some argue that the HP50G works well in its algebraic mode, many functions become very awkward to access and it really isn't worth it to use the Hp50G in any mode other than RPN.

If your nephew doesn't like RPN or really complex gadgets (or both), Hp's lower end Hp39G is much more similar to the Ti-83/84 line with lots of extra math functions tossed in. (It is somewhat weaker in statistical functions though, out of the box).

Great information. I really appreciate it. He is a finance major but I wanted to get him more than a financial calculator because he will have calculus and statistics classes. I'm pretty proud of that because my degree is in finance as well. He is on an academic scholly and is very good with the inner workings of computers, so he will probably know how to run the calculator better than me. I will probably go with the 17B. I hate to lose the 19B, but will carry on. Thanks again.

Buck,

First it may sound like overkill to you - but would you eventually consider the HP 200LX (no less than the 2 MB version)as an (albeit) heavier replacement of your trusted HP-19B ???

After having lost the memory contents of my 17BII+ several times already due to battery change, I've finally had a chance to try out the 200LX.

For me it's like a dream come true. Although no longer manufactured (but still available in used to mint conditions at ebay), it's combination and integration of apps makes it a powerful companion in my daily work as a financial advisor.

I kindly recommend you taking a look at this fine system.

Take a look at the manual starting with Section 12.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpia5259.pdf

A discussion forum, software and maintenance instructions are available here:

http://www.technoir.org/hplx/hplx-l/

http://super.hplx.net/supernew.html

http://daniel-hertrich.de/200lx/

Best regards

Peter A. Gebhardt (Germany)

Edited: 19 Jan 2007, 5:15 p.m.

I have *all* of the HP calculators in working condition and I could use any of them but find the the 200LX is the easiest to use one for financial calculations.

I second Peter's suggestion to get an 200LX as a 19BII replacement. I've used an LX since the 100LX came out in 1993 as my PDA, financial calculator, 1-2-3 spreadsheet machine, and even for limited AWK program development. If you can find one with more than 2M of RAM and the double-speed upgrade you'll really have a fantastic machine.

-Katie

Thanks to all of you for the valuable advice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The HP Prime saga - Part II Michael de Estrada 21 5,745 11-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  HP-32S II Expansion Matt Agajanian 14 3,653 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  Classpad II fx-CP400 emulator Namir 0 1,050 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Namir
  HP 32S-II Vertical Curve Program Ron Cardwell 2 1,353 05-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Thomas Klemm
  HP-39g II Acquistion Matt Agajanian 54 11,843 07-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Gilles Carpentier