A Crash leads to faulty key board response!(need help ASAP!)(please give me some segestions)

Just yesterday I was using GTOOLs software on my HP49G(I was developing new software called WorkLock), and the stupid GTOOLs crashed my calc, and now for some reason only these keys are responding...

{F4,APPS,MODE,TOOL,VAR,STO>,NXT,(up arrow),ALPHA,7,8,9,*(multiply key),ON}

And of course its at the memory lost screen...

Can someone please help me ASAP?

By the way, my waranty has been voided.

Edited: 31 May 2006, 5:34 p.m.

I'm not familiar with GTOOLS.

Do you see USR in the header? If so, then it's in User keyboard mode; just press LeftShift USER to toggle it off.

Other than that, try a warmstart by pressing C while holding down ON.

As a last resort, you could try a ON&A&F memory clear, but you may well want to try archiving memory to flash (port 2) or your PC first.

Write back and let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
James

PS:

Quote:
And of course its at the memory lost screen...

Sorry, I overlooked that line the first time. Do you mean the "Try To Recover Memory" (TTRM) screen? If so, then what happens if you press YES? What happens if you press NO?

You'd very likely do better asking questions about RPL models on the comp.sys.hp48 usenet group. In case you're not familiar with newsreaders, try http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48?.

I've never used any greyscale tools, but there may be better ones available.

Regards,
James

Quote:
and now for some reason only these keys are responding...

{F4,APPS,MODE,TOOL,VAR,STO>,NXT,(up arrow),ALPHA,7,8,9,*(multiply key),ON}

the yes button(F6) and the no button(F1) are unfortunately not working. I also have my own homemade software called DataSafe running on it which automatically backs up the Home-Dir and password locks the calc.

A similar situation has occured with my calculator in the past(caused by dropping) but it only effected the ON and (LeftShift) keys.

The calculator recovered after about a week and a half of regular use, but since I cant even get past the TTRM screen this time, its not so easy, and unfortunately this time the above listed keys wont respond at all.

I'm still very open for seggestions...

Try taking out the batteries (and SD card if you are using one). With the batteries removed, press the ON button several times (the idea is to drain the electrolytic capacitor and keeps memory intact). Leave it without batteries for about 10 minutes. Then insert the batteries and try to turn the HP on.

Whatever you do, DO NOT INSERT THE BATTERIES WITH REVERSE POLARITY.

It may be that the problems are caused by a hardware failure,
instead of a software bug.

Just to be certain, you're writing about a 49G, not a 49g+, right?

Do you know which ROM revision you're using?

But anyway, as the YES and NO keys for the TTRM aren't responding,
I'd try a hardware reset. There's a little hole in the back of a
calculator. Insert a partially straightened small paperclip (or
similar object) straight in, about a half inch, until it stops;
you'll probably feel some resistance for about the last eighth
inch. You'll probably see a brief "flash" (vertical lines or bars)
on the display and then it will go blank. Remove the paperclip and
then press ON. Ordinarily, this forces a warmstart, even when the
keyboard won't respond. Trying the paperclip reset with a 49G at
the TTRM screen caused mine to do a warmstart, without a memory
clear.

Regards,
James

yes I'm writing about an HP 49G and I running it on ROM version 1.19-6 .... I already tryed the battery thing and I will do the hard-reset(I would have done it erlyer but at the time I didnt have any such items around). I also think it is a hardware failure.

I tryed the hard reset and so far no change... If some of you might know what hardware might be causing the problem and how to fix it please tell. I now know for sure that its a hardware problem. Does anyone think RadioShack might be able to fix it?

Quote:
I tryed the hard reset and so far no change... If some of you might know what hardware might be causing the problem and how to fix it please tell. I now know for sure that its a hardware problem. Does anyone think RadioShack might be able to fix it?

Well, if the paperclip reset didn't work, the only suggestion that I have is leaving the battery out for a long time, perhaps pressing ON several times with the battery removed.

Try asking at http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48.

No, I wouldn't expect that Radio Shack could help you with this, except perhaps selling you some new AAA cells.

Regards,
James

Quote:
No, I wouldn't expect that Radio Shack could help you with this, except perhaps selling you some new AAA cells.

Does anyone know of any HP repair-places that are located in or near Minneapolis,Minnesota ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Prime crash Stefan Dröge (Germany) 2 1,273 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Stefan Dröge (Germany)
  HP Prime Crash bluesun08 5 1,861 11-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  HPprime CRASH and mysterious clepsydra indicator fabrice48 3 1,731 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Last Post: cyrille de Brébisson
  Prime: Exam mode (possible duplicate after funny response first time) Paul Townsend (UK) 1 1,440 10-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  HP PRIME - Crash with "REPLACE" cmd ? dg1969 0 919 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Last Post: dg1969
  Need manual for HP 44464a (a 3421a I/O board Alan Sciacca 1 979 03-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Diego Diaz
  HP-65 logic board repair - help required Alberto Fenini 1 1,183 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Last Post: John Robinson
  Hp85 PRM-85 board Roe Peterson 2 1,280 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Roe Peterson
  HP 32sII with faulty keypad aurelio 6 2,518 09-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Last Post: aurelio
  Faulty fullnut 41CV Paolo Cipollone 5 1,865 09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BobVA