Surveys

Has there ever been a survey here on the relative popularity of the various HP models? I had a hunt around through previous topics to see if had been covered before but couldn't find anything.

My expectation would be that the HP-41 family would be top of the list. In my case, based upon those models I have, it would be the HP-15C, followed by 42, 41 & 16. I also have an HP-28S but have neven felt entirely happy with that model foor some reason.

Edited: 10 Apr 2006, 9:44 a.m. after one or more responses were posted

My preferences are the following (based on my HP calculators):

HP-15C

HP-32SII

HP-11C (oops, this is its right place!)

HP-49g+

HP-12C

HP-33S

-- Antonio

Edited: 10 Apr 2006, 5:15 p.m.

Here are my units in order or preferance:
HP15C
HP11C
HP28S
HP35
HP48gII (Latest)
HP39G+ (Algebraic logic)

Favorite of all time: HP41CV purchased in late '89 from HP Employee store in Palo Alto on Hanover street for $87.50 (What it cost HP to MFR), which self destructed in early 90's.

Hello!

My top-3-favourite HP calculators are these (from the ones I am lucky enough to own, or at least had the chance to use for a while):

HP-25 (Just so cute! and programmable...)

HP-97 (Best desktop calculator ever.)

HP-67 (f-g-h function keys, who else has so many :-) )

All the liquid crystal stuff follows a long, long way behind!

Greetings, Max

Edited: 10 Apr 2006, 10:23 a.m.

I started a thread about this once, and although the number of responses wasn't very high, the overall result seems that the MoHPC crowd likes the high-end scientific prgrammable calcs. The 41CX, 42S, 15C, and 48GX were mentioned a lot.

My vote goes to the 42S, of course. :-)

- Thomas

I like the idea of a desert island calculator; a concept that must mark one down in some way!

For me the HP-15C is the calculator. I bought one in the early 80’s, sold it at one point to get a TI (for base conversion) that I just could not work and as a result moving to an HP-42S. That experience of trying (and failing) to move away from PRN is what has lead to my small collection of machines, really just backups for these initial machines.

PS: I was very lucky in that the person I sold the 15 to gave it back to me as he had rarely used it! I did point out that they were selling for large sums on eBay but he generously returned it.

Steve --

Yes, the "What's your favorite HP calculator and why?" topic has been repeated a few times over the past few years, as a thorough search through the Forum Archives will show.

I would echo Thomas Okken's statement that the consensus favorites of scientific calculators are the HP-42S, HP-15C, HP-41CX, and the HP-48GX. The first one is unique; the last three are the epitomes of their respective product lines. The HP-32S and HP-32SII have some fans (myself included), as do the traditional LED-based models.

I own each of the above models (with a 48G in place of a 48GX), and value each for their specific attributes. If I were allowed to take to an important exam only one calc without special programs or software, the 15C would be my first choice -- overall ease of use with directly-accessible functions, very legible display and keyboard, and well-integrated advanced functionality.

-- KS

Edited: 10 Apr 2006, 10:35 p.m.

Quote:
What's your favorite HP calculator and why

You say favorite, I say favourite, let's call the whole thing off. As you say, my search was a little limited. Terms like 'popular', 'poll' etc didn't really highlight anything.

I am actually surprised to see the HP-15C featured so frequently. I thought forum users would favour the heavy-lifting capability of the HP-41 series.

Quote:
heavy-lifting capability of the HP-41 series

that "heavy lift" is what makes it a computer more and a calculator less.

The 15c wins so much praiase for its essential calculatorness. It is the epitome (within the hp paradigm) of the pure calculator. Thats the way it seems to me anyway. Love it!

I totally agree.

-- Antonio

I have a total of 7 Hp's all of which I have been using for my studies and work. My preferences are based on a combination of functionality and design. Here's a list of them in the order of decreasing appreciation (although I appreciate them all in one way or another).

1: A combined 1st place for the 48G and the 41CV. The 48G for its extensive functionality, possibilities and speed. The 41CV for the delicate combination of power, concept (user definable keys), expandibility (have a card reader) and last but not least the timeless design and shape.
2: The 15C for its extended functionality including integration, root-solver, complex number handling, matrices and all mathematical functions frequently needed, combined with excellent keystroke programmability and a very nice and unconventional and compact design.
3: The 67 for its looks, programmability combined with card-reader and function set.
4: The 34C for its design (especially the LED display) and integration and solve functions.
5: The 45, being the 1st pocket calculator that I got my hands on at the age of 6. Also one of the classics that started the calculator business.
6: The 32SII. The last in line. Fast, more powerful than you would expect at a first glance yet of an uninspired cheep-looking design.

In the trade off between functionality and complexity always preferred the 'simpler' machines so my vote would go to the following

HP33C - A solid old brick and prone to the odd tantrum but my all time favourite 'pocket' calculator. (Both the HP34C and HP32E deserve an honourable mention here. The HP34C is just amazing but I never found it quite as easy to use, and the HP32E was an absolute lifesaver when someone decided that I ought to study statistics).

HP97 - To big to be portable but for me this was simply the best desktop calculator. (Also my father's HP97 was the first HP I ever used).

HP11C - Not as 'complex' as the HP15C and all I could afford, it get my vote because it does everything I ever needed it to.

HP42S - I considered buying one of these machines once when they were new but was put off by its keypad, lack of off-line storage, and exorbitant (UK) price tag. I shouldn't have been as it solves the user interface problem very elegantly, but I'd still like to store programs and data somewhere!

HP29C - I've never owned or used one but I suspect that it is proabably as simple to use as the HP33C but with just enough extra memory to make it really interesting!

Mike T.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP doing surveys on vintage calcs Tom Mathes 11 2,581 10-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Frank Boehm (Germany)
  HP-12C - HP Surveys Les Bell 1 821 03-13-2000, 06:45 PM
Last Post: John Robinson