Clonix Project

Hi,I am in the process of making a Clonix-41 module.
I have made the pcb and have taken apart an old module.
According to the pcb artwork given in the project details, it appears that the pcb is mounted upside down compared to the pcb which is already in the existing module. Is this correct?
I look forward to your comments.

Regards
Phil Green

Hi;

have you contacted Diego Díaz? He's the one that can actually help you with that, though. I bought both a NoV32 and a NoVRAM, and after reading some material at www.clonix41.org, it seems that now all modules share the same PCB layout.

Quote:
The main IC footprint has been conceived to be fully compatible with previous Clonix-41 and NoVRAM designs so that all and every newly manufactured module will use this PCB, which is also ready to accept the four memory chips required for the future NoV-64.
(from NoV-32: The New Hardware.)

The following picture is actually at clonix41.org. You can see the inside of the module, maybe it can help.

Success!

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 21 Jan 2006, 8:45 a.m.

Hi,

Luiz, you're becoming an unvaluable help while I'm not on-line, thank you so much for that!!

I'm using the same board to build all the modules, however, for a DIY project it is simpler to use the original Clonix layout.

Phil, you're right, the board is upside down. Also note that the connector's soldering pins must be full-folded and cutted to gain the required room (about 1mm) for the board to fit into the momdule's housing.

Please use extreme care while doing this, as phosfor-bronce is not reknowned by its ductility (I've broken more than I'd like to admit :-(

Success!! and let us know of the results.

Best.

Diego.

Hey, Diego;

thanks for your comments. My pleasure, believe me.

Once I am not the one who made the wonders, supporting them (both the wonders and those who created them) is also part of the fun. More than being a pleasant activity, suporting guys like you, Meindert, Hrast and other developpers is a priviledge. Besides, developping HW and SW for these calculators is a daring activity by itself, though.

In time: instead of bending the tinny terminals, would that be possible to add a thin PCB cut to solder the contacts? Just came to my mind...

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 22 Jan 2006, 6:34 p.m.

Hi,
I have just finished the module today.
Works fine.
Managed to fit pcb without altering the connector pins!
I am using a two terminal resonator at 12MHz, module did not work at first, I suspected the oscillator was not operating. I added two 33pF capacitors either side of the resonator connected to ground.
This now works.
I have not made the programming adaptor yet, I pre-programmed the 18LF252 in an external programmer first.
I am using the ClonixLP version of the code.
I have modified the Configuration Build Utility under Visual C++ to support the ClonixLP code rather than the Clonix6 code.

I look forward to any new versions of the code.
Thanks for your help.
Regards
Phil Green

Hi,

These are great news Phil, it will also be interesting if you can send some pictures.

Did you reduce the PCB size to fit it without bending the pins? I'm very interested in that.

The resonator is more likely to need the extra caps, I use a quarzt xtal, which runs flawlesly without caps.

Thanks for sharing your experience and best regards.

Diego.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FRAM71 Project aj04062 1 1,184 11-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Hans Brueggemann
  HP-41 Clonix&NoV's SW Update. (For the non-Primer's guys out there... :-) Diego Diaz 21 5,622 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  [HP-PRIME] QPI project CompSystems 0 862 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Last Post: CompSystems
  RPN-1200 Project Benoit Maag 0 815 08-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Benoit Maag
  Warning: These are NOT Clonix! Diego Diaz 11 3,053 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Diego Diaz
  Latest Clonix/NoV's SW update. Diego Diaz 5 2,107 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM
  [41CL]Updating ROM images with a Clonix Dan Grelinger 14 4,244 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM
  [Clonix/NOV] NoV-64 backwards compatibility Doug (NYC) 0 960 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Doug (NYC)
  What do you think of this project??? Pierre 1 1,144 11-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  TI 2550III project, help me I can help you. watchdoctor 2 1,394 10-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Joerg Woerner