Xpander Connectivity Kit

Hello!

Just get my own Xpander!

Nice item, but no Connectivity Cable available ;(

Can someone tell me the correct jack (I assume: 3.5 mm stereo jack like in an mp3-player) and the correct lines between this jack and the 9-pin serial-jack?

Thank you very much!

Wilhelm Loidl

Hello Wilhelm,

I haven't used my Xpander Connectivity Kit, yet. But to help you I examined the original HP cable, which accompanied my Xpander, with an Ohm-meter. To my surprise it seems defect: Only the most outer layer of the stereo jack is connected to pin 5 of the DB9 connector. Pin 5 is "Signal Ground", so the other 2 segments must be "Receive Data" (Pin 2 of DB9) and "Transmit Data" (Pin 3 of DB9). I'm going to find out which signal is connected to which segment in the near future (yes, time is a big problem). You can try the same or wait until I got the result. I saw your same question at www.xpander.org so I'm going to put the answer there, too.

Hope this helps

Regards

Karl

Hello Karl!

Thank you for the feedback!

I don't think, your cable is defect - maybe there is inside an optocoupler (hope, you understand my english interpretation ;)

In the next days, I'll try to connect the Xpander with an modifyed hp-49 serial-cable.

Thank you again

Wilhelm Loidl

Hello!

No luck with an hp-49 cable.

No luck with an old Garmin RS232 (with optocoupler) cable.

I testet all possible pin-configurations (Pin 2,3 and 5 on the 9-pin-jack), made before every try an hardware-reset on the Xpander and changed the COM1/COM2 connection with the modifyed cables.

The Connectivity-Software was running on a Windows XP-PC (maybe this is a problem?);

The automatic search withe the original Software for an handshake with the Xpander did nothing find...

Every help is very welcome!

Wilhelm Loidl

My Xpander connectivity kit works under Windows XP without problem. I am going to have a look with my voltmeter

Here we are:
9 way female D type connector
To stereo 3.5mm jack

Pin 5 to sleeve (Shield)
Pin 3 to sleeve 5kOhm

A glitch between Pin 4 and ring

I guess this doesn't really help but the serial connector is longer than usual so I guess it contains some form of electronics

Arnaud

The connector at xpander.org

Edited: 5 Nov 2005, 3:58 p.m.

Hello Wilhelm,

as promised I tested my cable with the Connectivity Kit. It seems, your right, it works perfectly. In the manual I found a notice that no other cable should be used 'cause it is designed especially for the Xpander. Alas, there's no way to open the DB9 jack to look inside. Sorry, that I don't have better news for you. If you'd like to discuss the Xpander in more detail you can write me at LKL_Butte@web.de.

Regards

Karl

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prime Connectivity Kit Suggestion toml_12953 1 1,598 12-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  Gathering USB dumps for Connectivity Kit <-> 39gII communication... debrouxl 2 1,629 12-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  HP Prime Connectivity software in Virtualbox/wine Chris Pem10 2 1,447 11-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Chris Pem10
  HP Prime - Connectivity kit purpose bluesun08 2 1,430 11-11-2013, 10:37 AM
  Connectivity Kit Les Koller 1 1,208 11-10-2013, 06:38 PM
  Hp PRIME - how to send a list to the connectivity Kit giancarlo 1 1,285 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  Connectivty Kit for HP Prime needs an "Import Program" Command Eddie W. Shore 3 1,873 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Proper location for files on the PC for Connectivity Kit ,etc. Harold A Climer 8 2,778 10-23-2013, 02:43 AM
  HP Prime vs. 39gII Connectivity Kit Marcus von Cube, Germany 3 1,699 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
  what can I do with the connectivity kit? bertopl 9 2,839 09-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Post: bertopl