We can't complain...

While HP has stumped me with certain traits of the 33s-

Since it has menus (flags menu, memory menu) , why not user definable, DIRs, soft menus...etc, even if only usable for the expansive equation library one can create.

But things could be worse..if you were a champion of this brand... http://education.ti.com/us/student/main.html

Note that the screen is displaying a phone directory. :)

Incidentally, I just cleaned up my 32sii, and thought about what I must have: quadratic root, cross product, and a few stored eqns...I can only fit 3 before I run out of memory! So, the 33s feels forgiving in that respect. I had forgotten how tight space was...

But side by side...boy that 32sii has a beautiful display!

Eric

You're absolutely right about all you posted.

However, and I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, put the 32SII side by side with the 20S and you'll say that the 20S has a more beautiful display! I think the 20S is the last HP calc to have the old-fashioned hand-cut LCD segments so that you see more continuous black line instead of more dotted lines. But yes, I see your point about the "dottiness" of the 33S display.

But all-in-all, I agree, the 33S is a nice unit, highly recommendable to those who need a good RPN scientific, not graphing, unit.

Eric --

The 33S, of course, was based upon the 32SII. Every shortcoming -- real or perceived -- of the 32SII is present in the 33S. I agree with you that the big, bold, glare-free one-line 33SII display is better than the two-line display of the 33S with none of these attributes. Also, the 32SII keyboard and legends are better.

I would have been more pleased with a 32SII having 4 kB or 8 kB of RAM.

The 42S had some of the things you mentioned -- e.g., softkey menus, and vector cross product.

-- KS

Edited: 19 Mar 2005, 12:42 p.m.

I don't want to look heretic but what about the 12C platinum?
I haven't seen it but I guess it has a good segmented display. So hp still can have them produced.

Arnaud

Edited: 19 Mar 2005, 8:12 p.m.

I truly believe that the 33s was not created for calculator collectors; let's face it, they (we) won't be totally content with anything.

The 33s was created for those who don't have access to 15 other HP calculators and those who have never used an HP calculator. And those who have not used the beauty that is the (insert favorite calculator here) do not realize the shortcomings of the 33s. I have several friends who use the 33s having used nothing but a TI-30xa and a TI-83, and they love it. I never hear them complain about the decimal point being hard to see, nor the enter key being clumsyly located, nor the quality or the screen, nor the lack of memory locations, nor the lack of options. They don't complain about any of this, and so in that respect HP has definitely succeeded. They created a calculator which is enjoyed by new users.

Granted, I wish I could go out and buy a new calculator which had the old enter key and was in every way like the 32sii, except with more memory, but I can't. I am counting down the days to graduation partially because it is the day I will say goodbye to all my friends, but also because it is the day I have to return my almost constant companion for the past 4 years, my 32sii- then it will be nothing but the 49g+ and 33s for me.

Alack, alas!

-Ben Salinas

Oh, it's not heretical. I had to resist my impulse to buy a 15C or 16C when they first came out (boy was I stupid!) because in those days, my 34C was still going strong and I knew how to use it inside out. Heck, I'd STILL use it if it wasn't giving me erratic displays so often.

So, I remember the 12C through 16C calcs. Yes, the display on that series was beautiful, too, but they (way) predated the 20S. I really believe the 20S was the last HP calculator to have a less segmented LCD display. The display on the 48G series too a little getting used to, but after a while, they were fine, too, even if the native fonts reminded me a bit too much of that in the old DOS command line displays.

But seriously, I loved using my 32SII so much (oh, it so reminds me of the 34C except for its [dare I say it?... yeah, why not: ] reeeeeeeddddd LED display) that I didn't even notice its more segmented display until I had it side by side with the 20S.

Karl,

About the 42s, right, my father has a 42s that I occasionally get to use. He was very kind and bought twin 42s machines for us both, while I was in elementary school. It was not useful, however, since we were doing mostly algebra, and was shelved..so where it is....I'll have to make a trip home someday!

Your comment about all 32sii shortcomings being carried over to the 33s is ironic in that 32sii MEM/REG is small, and the 33s INV(MEM/REG) is small (why?! why?!) :)

I agree with the 32sii/4k idea. Boy, do I agree! As supportive as my wife is, she's almost written me off after my heavy HP research :)

Thanks,
Eric

I sympathize Ben,

I have a 32sii (which I paid only $26 for!!) and for those of us ( hp41cxERA < THOSE OF US < 33sERA ), the 32sii has special meaning. Its the last of the traditional-case HPs, well spaced keys, fits in the pocket (the ultimate engineer's tool!).

We are lucky that the 49g+ and 33s have the hinged keys, its a step toward the missed age. BTW, I have, thanks to VPN and hpcalc.org, no more missed keystrokes on my 49g+. Have you experienced the same problem?

Also, you are right. The 33s is a great machine. I am lucky to have another chance at non-graphing RPN, after missing out on a shelf FULL of 32sii's at a store here back in 2001. (I'll never out live that mistake)

BTW are you going into math, engineering, physics..any ideas yet?

Regards,
Eric

X "I have several friends who use the 33s having used
nothing but a TI-30xa and a TI-83, and they love it.
I never hear them complain about the decimal point being
hard to see, nor the enter key being clumsyly located,
nor the quality or the screen, nor the lack of memory
locations, nor the lack of options. They don't complain
about any of this, and so in that respect HP has
definitely succeeded. They created a calculator
which is enjoyed by new users."
X
Excatly what happened in FInland to my great suprise!
The new hp 33s users and ewven the old 32SII users
don't seem to complain about anything...strange indeed!
[VPN]

I am more than likely going to go into engineering. I haven't ruled math out, but it will probably be engineering (maybe mech, or EE... I am not sure).

And schools- well I got accepted to Stanford, but I don't know if I want to go there. Everyone is telling me that Stanford is a great school (even the interviewer from Harvard told me to go to Stanford), but I found this small school outside of Boston called Olin. It is 3 years old (first graduating class next year) and currently has 75 students per class. I went and visited for Candidate's Weekend (the name ~175 applicants "Candidates" and then from there choose about 120-130 to admit), and I really liked it a lot (due to the size and the nature of their classes).

It seemed like an awesome school, oh and they pay tuition also, so it will only be about 15k per year before any other financial aid. www.olin.edu for more info on the school.

-Ben Salinas

Ben,

You'd make an outstanding engineer. Good luck with the decision process! Olin sounds interesting..
Eric

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why complain about the 35s? I love it! snaggs 99 17,313 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bill platt
  Complain to "the new HP" at this link Norm Hill 1 740 02-28-2003, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Ty Rogers
  Re: Please, I hope people do not complain... Ernie Malaga 19 4,376 10-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Viktor Toth