HP-16C sim has new UI features

Inspired by the comments and suggestions I've received from some of the visitors to the museum, I've added the following UI features to the simulator:

• you can hide/show the window decoration.
  • you can drag the window around your desktop by clicking on any non-active area of the window.
  • your UI settings (rendering and decoration disposition) are preserved between invocations.
In addition, this release (0.214) re-aligns the desktop and PPC variants.

I have updated the zip files and release notes on my site. Thanks for your support.

Cameron
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cbpaine/hp-16c/

Naked mode is great, but it would be even better if you could terminate the program by pressing the [ON] key. Unless of course if there is a good reason not to do it.

Arnaud who wishes he could afford a real 16

Cameron,
wow, are you actively developing it? What kind of licensing are you thinking about it?

Should you decide for a GPL one, put a "Donate" button on your webpage, I am pretty sure we could surprise you much the way you surprised the community with such a great project.

Yes I ended up buying a real HP-16C, but I do like the simulation the same...

The on key should definitively act as End/minimize I agree.

Naive question: Did you implement the self tests too?

BUGS
A possible bug to review. Please click a button and then hover around without release the mouse button...and don't even dare to answer with a snipplet of code.... :)

The resizing of the window is not remembered on my pc, it remembers classic or portrait, but the size is always landscape (I simply owerwrote the files maybe is not correct).
Aren't you able to make the naked without ANY border?

IMPROVEMENT
Do you know InnoSetup? it is a fairly straightforward installation program, without any hassle and free (not GPL).
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Hello, Cameron;

this is mostly to congratulate you for your excellent simulator. As I hve seen so many people taking their time to test your HP16C sim at the same time I've been working with some TTF, I decided just to follow the thread and read. I still have the Beta sim installed and running (will it someday, about ten to fifteen years from now, be as valuable as a vintage HP calculator? Yeap, for sure! I'll keep it "as is": mint, no scratches... d8^).

Thank you for this gift, Cameron.

Best regards.

Luiz (Brazil)

Giuseppe found the bug I'd cunningly left in the code just to see if anyone was paying attention.

Quote:
The resizing of the window is not remembered on my pc, it remembers classic or portrait, but the size is always landscape (I simply owerwrote the files maybe is not correct).

Seriously though, that was caused by a lapse of attention on my part. I'm afraid my enthusiasm to share the new version clouded my judgement. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Cameron
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cbpaine/hp-16c/

Cameron,
we will spare some time to you, because we could perform some basic testing, so please distribute even if you are not sure about it.

Do not worry, we are eager to find bugs to make the project even better, not to blame you for errors.

Cameron:

First of all, congratulations for an interesting and very well done emulator. I'm glad that some of my suggestions have been considered by you for the keyboard mapping.

As I am not familiar at all with the real 16C, I would like to ask a question. I am sure that the answer will be obvious for many of you but, frankly, I admit I need to ask it. I have not been able to use the calculator outside the "integer world", apart from moving into and out of hex-oct-dec & bin modes. Is it possible to use it for things like "3 Enter 2 / 2 SQRT -" or is it just constrained to integers? I noticed the "Float" function, but my attempts to benefit from it have been unsuccessful.

Thank you in advance. I'm sure this question deserves a qualification similar to those about changing radix symbol between dot and comma, but such is life...

"Naked mode is great, but it would be even better if you could terminate the program by pressing the [ON] key. Unless of course if there is a good reason not to do it."

Maybe rather make it then an icon into the lower right corner beside the clock.

If you really want an exit button why not use the hp logo!!

The old HP is dead so that would also symbolize the end of Corvallis team and the good old days <sniff>.

[VPN]

Try:

[f][FLOAT]digit

Where digit is:

0 - for scientific notation (there's no engineering mode)
1-9 to select number of displayed digits

To get back to integer mode, just press one of the radix keys. The float number in X will then get converted to an integer representation (I won't bore you with the details).

NOTE: on exit from float the word size is set to 56 bits. The complement/unsigned mode you had previously is retained.

Cameron

Hi, Cameron;

the orignal HP16C uses:

[.] - for scientific notation (there's no engineering mode)
0-9 to select number of displayed digits

It's the same scheme used with the HP12C. Is it on purpose or you actually missed the [FLOAT] sequence?

Just a question... If you changed the [FLOAT] scheme, it's good to know about this.

Cheers.

Luiz (Vieira)

I'm getting old... perhaps 25 years ago I would tried that sequence (is not very intuitive, but it seems logical now, specially when you realize there are no other display functions like FIX, SCI, DSP, etc.).

Thank you again !!

Er, what he said...

Luiz is correct...

...so is my program--it behaves exactly as Luiz described.

I was having a "senior moment".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bought a 16C to compensate a little Eelco Rouw 23 7,763 12-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Eelco Rouw
  Shiny new 16C! Keith Midson 7 2,493 10-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Keith Midson
  Joys of eBay: HP-32S, HP-32SII, HP-42S, HP-16C, ... Sasu Mattila 7 2,460 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Julián Miranda (Spain)
  HP-16C simulator fhub 12 3,405 06-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Robert Prosperi
  wp34s ui tweaks Andrew Nikitin 12 3,498 06-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Paul Dale
  Program for HP-16c... Leonid 9 2,951 06-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Last Post: David Hayden
  HP 11C/12C/15C/16C case Philippe Cairic 4 2,058 11-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  New features on HP39gII next coming OS Mic 0 881 10-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Mic
  Understanding HP-16C integer division Jimi 18 5,033 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM