OpenRPN board goes live

Hey all, the board went live last night. I still have some graphics to update, but everything is otherwise ready to go. It's hosted by one of my good friends as a directory, so don't let the name throw you.

http://www.cradleofintrigue.com/OpenRPN/

I'm accepting suggestions for what distinct forums should be made beyond what I already have up there. I look forward to seeing you all there.

Thanks, Hugh.

You have been putting a lot of time and effort into this project and I wanted to let you know I appreciate it. I am not sure what I can offer the project. I am a Civil Engineer, not an electronics guy or a programming genius, but if you need any help, just place a post here (or on the new site), or email me, and I will assist where I can.

Take care.

Wayne

PS - I will definitely be there to purchase the end product, you can count on that.

You're very welcome, and any contribution you can make is appreciated. We need as much input as we can get, as I want the most ideal calculator possible. Feel free to jump in and help whenever you have an opinion, knowledge, or even just an idea ( the crazier the better ).

Thanks for your contribution and interest in the project. I promise I won't let anyone down.

The site is now telling "The requested URL /OpenRPN/index.php was not found on this server."...

:(

Best regards,

Nelson

The site told me the thre was error in registering...

[VPN]

Hugh,

I feel obligated to offer some additional words of encouragement for you and the other dedicated OpenRPN folks. Like Wayne, I'm a non-electrical engineer (aerospace in my case), but I'm eagerly following the project as it progresses. I'll be glad to offer my opinions, when appropriate, and help out if I can. I'm definitely looking forward to being one of the first purchasers of a fresh, new RPN calculator.

Regards,

Doug

I'll also post this up on the OpenRPN board. We are currently aware of error messages in signing up/signing in/ signing out/posting. Despite the error messages, everything is physically working... But there are a few lines of code we need to patch up. Thanks to all for pointing this out to us quickly.

In the meantime, don't be discouraged. The board will stay up, although you will get occasional errors which don't actually mean anything.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

A ha! I can certainly find a use for you, Doug. I'm attempting to use as much knowledge as I can in aircraft instrumentation (since everything is made to be high contrast, reliable and useable). Also, the materials being used for construction come from the aerospace industry.

I have so far focused on using aluminum for the entire case, but I am also considering titanium (although it will most definitely be more expensive... probably just make it an option).

If you wouldn't mind reviewing some of the designs, it would be a big help! Also, some of the manufacturing processes being explored (high pressure water cutting, etc.) may be to your liking. Please join in. I encourage anyone to use what skills they possess to improve any aspect that your training lends itself to.

I'd kinda like to second (third?) my thanks for displaying the initiative necessary to go forth with this project. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the concept vehicles that come out of the discussions.

I also can render only modest assistance, being an oil engineer, not an electrical/electronics type.

In the meantime, I have some ideas (never let common sense or rationality deter) - I'll just have to post them on the board!

"I have so far focused on using aluminum for the entire case, but I am also considering titanium (although it will most definitely be more expensive... probably just make it an option)."

Some mobile phones and some notebook PC manufactures seem to use magnesium...

[VPN]

A nice Al alloy is probably the best bet due to price, strength, and weight. Mg is also a very good choice. Even lighter, though more expensive. It has been somewhat popular in automotive/aerospace because of this, though is used more frequently in laptops & the like. Ti is starting to get heavier & I wouldn't think it would be worth the cost. Some are considering using bulk metallic glass (amorphous metal) for consumer electronics. Cool, but expensive.

I would think the cost of using more than a single material wouldn't be worth it, especially when it dwindles the size of an already small production run. I would go with your first choise of Al. It is sound.

But I'd also probably keep plastic in consideration--it is inexpensive & lightweight. Metal does have a "wow" factor & it would add durability, but I am more willing to pay for the way the calculator functions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Live from HHC2013 Namir 4 1,517 09-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Last Post: Jim Horn
  OpenRPN Matt Agajanian 3 1,474 09-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Paul Dale
  Need manual for HP 44464a (a 3421a I/O board Alan Sciacca 1 979 03-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Diego Diaz
  HP-65 logic board repair - help required Alberto Fenini 1 1,184 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Last Post: John Robinson
  Hp85 PRM-85 board Roe Peterson 2 1,281 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Roe Peterson
  Can my CV take a CL board? Les Wright 5 2,051 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Les Wright
  HP 9826A HPL ROM board part number David Ramsey 2 1,189 12-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Last Post: David Ramsey
  Just got my HP41CL board! M. Joury 4 1,569 11-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Craig Ruff
  OpenRPN Prototyping In Progress Hugh Evans 19 4,802 10-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Oliver Unter Ecker
  OpenRPN and the 41CL snaggs 11 2,935 09-29-2011, 08:55 PM