33 cogo

The guys with the 33s and cogo were going nuts today at the fls. They hated it. I have neither a 33 or any cogo so I cant comment on it but these guys seemed unable to work it. Maybe sometime between now and October (if I have to take it again) there will be some better programming available.

An advanced calculator is only useful if you now how to use it.
I guess I would be infuriated if I bought a $300 piece of hardware and didn't know how to use it for the exam, but I would have only myself to blame as the manual is pretty good. I just guess these ones didn't read it.

Arnaud

Is that the cogo program that was/is for sale on ebay?

Thanks.

Wayne.

There are several cogo packages for sale on ebay and this was on of them.

Do you have a copy of it I could take a look at?
Thanks

I have only had good reports on my COGO programs. Only one person has had any trouble, and that was entering the programs into the calculator. He had never done ANY programming before. So I talked to him on the phone and I have not heard any more from him. I am hoping that "no news is good news". I have been writing cogo programs, ( for my own use at first ) for almost 20 years. I think the way my programs prompt for data make them really easy to use. I hope the individuals you refer to were not using my programs. If so, I would like to discuss the matter with them to see what could be done different.

The programs were not yours it came from another writer.

The main gripe they were having was that you couldnt enter as angle right. It was either bearing/azimuth or angle left for some odd reason..

If you can crank me something out that works in angle right I will probably buy from you. If its in anything other than angle right however it would probably do more damage than good for me.

My Casio programs work in Angle Right, Bearings, and Azimuths. Writing a program for the 33S to work in angle right is not difficult. But do to the way the HP32S and HP33S memory works, labels are a precious item. Also the fact that the HP can not add an alpha-string to the prompt makes it difficult for the user to PLAINLY see what the program is asking for. The 33S has one big undivided memory that uses 26 'labels', A-Z, which are key points to jump to in the memory. But with the Casios, if you have 50 programs, you can use labels A-Z and 0-9 for a total of 36 labels in every program. The 33S has plenty of memory. The biggest challenge is getting around the label issue. If I figure something out I'll post it on MoHPC for other programmers to make use of.

Mr. Rose;

Please excuse my butting in. I don't know how you have written your program but: Are you burning up two different labels and two different memory registers for quadrant one bearings and azimuths? If so, can you combine them? I know entering an az as a bearing will add another step for old fogies like me who work in azimuth but that would free up one letter. Anyone who can't get it that they are the same should not be sitting for the exam.

BTW; What's with that other guys program? He should re-write his algorythm so it'll use negative and positive field angles. - d

Edited: 18 Apr 2004, 9:31 p.m.

No, I don't use 2 separate registers. But I do use 3 labels to work with bearings, such as:
IF Q=2
GOTO 'X'
LABEL 'X'
'ANGLE'
-
STO 'ANGLE'
Thanks for the input though. I am always open to new ideas. All of my "ideas" are self-taught through trial and error.

Hi folks, D.B.;

BTW: what does COGO stand for? I remember reading the answer for this question in earlier posts, but I forgot...

I also wrote some programs (HP41 with X-memory, HP42S, HP48) that compute bearing, distance, azimuth angle and coordinates in a wilder choice of input data, so I am also curious about the actual purpose of a COGO program. Any enlightments?

What I'd like to add is that I used complex data to record each new pair of coordinates that were stored in a complex matrix ([ n × 2]) in the HP42S' version. This arrangement helps computing distance and bearing from one point to another.

I have no HP33S, but it seems it's close to the HP32S when programming is the issue, right? If the programs I wrote (mostly surveying) are of any help, I can post them. The problem is that most expressions are in Portuguese (brazilian) and maybe I'll not find the correct English equivalent term... So, I may need help translating them.

The programs and computing techniques used on them are of my own; I added basic survey to my Electrical Engineering classes, so I remember the basics. (it was a long time ago, but I guess I can take it back...)

Thanks.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 18 Apr 2004, 10:43 p.m.

Edited: 18 Apr 2004, 11:45 p.m.

"Also the fact that the HP can not add an alpha-string to the prompt makes it difficult for the user to PLAINLY see what the program is asking for."

Use an Equation (set inactive) as a prompt before input.

[VPN]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP48 Cogo Card - Worth Anything? JamesT 4 1,534 08-21-2012, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Reth
  HP 31, 32 ,33, etc Battery covers aj04062 4 1,437 07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Xavier A. (Brazil)
  Need help transitioning from 41/42 to 33/35 Bill Colisch 2 1,010 10-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Bill Colisch
  TDS COGO Problem Farzin 6 1,646 02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Chad
  hp48 and cogo cards David 0 628 01-31-2007, 04:27 AM
Last Post: david
  HP 11C Cogo Program: Robert Bruce 3 1,152 07-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Damir
  New Software Library program for HP-32/33: AC Power Transfer Karl Schneider 0 672 08-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Karl Schneider
  hp 33 display daid bowers 5 1,530 08-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  hp 41cx - Surveying COGO Program altanet 1 846 07-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Last Post: db (martinez, ca.)
  HP-33 User's Manual Trent Moseley 1 740 03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Paul Brogger