33s & Walmart

Anyone heard when the 33s will be in Walmart stores?

Thanks,
Bill

From what I have seen on the Wal-Mart web site, the HP 33S is On-Line purchase only as is the 48GII and the 49G+.

It may be functionally great but I wonder what type of designer would have thought that keyboard layout was acceptable.

That is the most God Awful Ugly keyboard I have ever seen. Slanted key? What's with that?

This "calc" is hip-hop and all that sh*t, baybee. It got da Bling-Bling. This is the programmable scientific RPN calculator fashion accessory every 13-year-old will demand! Engineers? Pocket protectors? BOOOOORING!!! It's for the YOUNG, old man. I bet an Eminem marketing campaign is in the works.

:)

:)

I'll probably have to get one but it's still ugly. :-)

I showed my new 33s to my sister today, and she just laughed and said it looks like a gay calculator :-(

Do you think that the person who designed the new 33s is gay?

I just hope that hp comes out with a less loud 33s in the near future. :-(

Quote:
I showed my new 33s to my sister today, and she just laughed and said it looks like a gay calculator :-(

I think your sister needs to check the dictionary. Her definition of "gay" _obviously_ doesn't match the meaning normally given that word.

Quote:
Do you think that the person who designed the new 33s is gay?

Who cares?

-Ernie

First of all, I would like to point out that that is not my message. I will always be sure to leave my last name on my posts to avoid confusion.

Second of all, I agree with Ernie's response totally.

Third of all, I looked at it today (a friend recieved his yesterday), and the design of it isn't very bad. I do think that the close shades of the colors make it look crowded. If they used a smaller font, or different colors (more varying) then it would be much less crowded looking.

As far as the keyboard tactile feedback, it is awesome. It is at least as good as my 32sii, which is more than I expected (compared to my 49g+'s keyboard). The enter key will take some getting used to (as the 49g+ has it where the plus key is... HP, make up your mind), but I think I can manage it (My 33s comes in at the end of this week)

I also like the speed of it (a quick 252! test was made, and it was a good deal faster) Integration also seems to be faster. I like the 2 line screen, though I forgot to look at the decimal point.

As a note, the Algebraic mode is nice also. It is not like most 2 line algebraic calculators. Instead of pressing enter at the end of each line of commands, it acts like a scientific calculator (rather than a graphing)

my thoughts

-Ben SALINAS

Joseph P Kennedy once told his sons (Jack and Bobby) that perception was everything. Other people I've met say that the calculator looks like it was designed by a gay dude.
:-(

I just hope that hp comes out with a 33s that's less Liberacy-like.
:-(

... instead of the vague "gay" or "U.G.L.Y."

I think most of us would agree that the 33S and the discontinued 49G are certainly over-stylized, and do not exhibit the no-nonsense, all-business look that characterized every predcessor HP calc.

I think several of the LED models of the '70s weren't the most aesthetically appealing, but HP really did a fine job with exterior design in the late '70s and '80s.

The same could be said about a wide variety of consumer products -- cars, shoes, TV's, stereos (home and car), portable CD players, cell phones -- just to name a few. I can't even stand to look at many of today's cars, and would refuse to buy many consumer-electronic products for the same reason.

Heck, it's even come down to toothbrushes now! The standard, no-nonsense toothbrush is becoming extinct. In its place are multi-color gaudy things that slip in your hand and don't even fit in traditional-size containers and holders.

Well, enough about that, but I think most of us here would agree that the emphasis on product styling is completely out of control nowadays.

Comments?

Quote:
Joseph P Kennedy once told his sons (Jack and Bobby) that perception was everything.

Two things. First, politicians will say anything in order to get votes. Second, "perception is everything" is a preposterous oversimplification.

Quote:
Other people I've met say that the calculator looks like it was designed by a gay dude.

Ah, so. Some people I've met say that the calculator seems to have been designed by an unimaginative general. Not. But how easy it is to say it, no?

Get a life.

-Ernie

Karl, it's all an old marketing trick: creation of product differentiation in areas that, though not core to the functionality - and thus useless, some would say- , will still make it "look" different.

Welcome to the inane future...

Best, ÁM.

With regard to the less "sylized" and more "functional" 70's, don't forget the horrid wood-grain stickers companies used to put all over consumer electronics (and automobiles!) of the day. <snort>

bkr

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you what some people are telling me what they think of the design of the new 33s.

TV has been dominated recently by pictures and stories of same-sexed people marrying in san francisco. It would really be disconcerting if those people start carrying the 33s with them as some kind of fashion statement. :-(

I just hope hp comes out with a toned down alternative design to the new 33s. One that's less gaudy, less flamboyant, less Michael Jackson-like or less Cujo-like.... :-(

re: "Heck, it's even come down to toothbrushes now! The standard, no-nonsense toothbrush is becoming extinct. In its place are multi-color gaudy things that slip in your
hand and don't even fit in traditional-size containers and holders."

Let alone, fitting in your MOUTH! I'm a REAL cheapskate (learned as a graduate student) and I threw away my most recent toothbrush after about three uses, it was so miserable to use.

Quote:
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you what some people are telling me what they think of the design of the new 33s.

I think you need to learn some things. Tact and common sense are two of them. As a gay man, I find your comments insulting, especially since you keep uttering them without any supporting evidence -- merely repeating like a parrot what others (supposedly) have told you.

It isn't funny at all, Ben. Change "gay" to "nigger" and then repeat the joke in front of a black person. If the black person doesn't complain, then I'll shut up; I may have been oversensitive on this.

But until you can contribute something more substantial than "several people I know have said", I believe it's better to close this thread.

Quote:
TV has been dominated recently by pictures and stories of same-sexed people marrying in san francisco. It would really be disconcerting if those people start carrying the 33s with them as some kind of fashion statement.

Don't make me laugh, that my lips are chapped.

People of the same sex cannot marry. Our illustrious (if stupid) president saw to it by endorsing a ban.

And "San Francisco" should be capitalized; it's a proper name.

Quote:
I just hope hp comes out with a toned down alternative design to the new 33s.

_That_ is something we can agree on.

Quote:
One that's less gaudy, less flamboyant

The HP-33S is not flamboyant. Flamboyancy implies intelligence. It isn't gaudy either; it's plainly ill-designed.

-Ernie

Chrysler Building, Chris Craft Siver Arrow......etc

Quote:

Welcome to the inane future...

Apparently this future has been going on for some time.....

I don't think many yelled sooner or louder than did I when the prototype's picture showed on the early product sheet.

I would say that, having had & used it for a while, its quirky design has become a complete non-issue for me. It looks like what it is, and behaves so nicely that I've become completely accustomed to it.

The positions of the stack manipulation keys (more than the Enter key's size) and the legibility of the display are THE only impactful drawbacks, as far as I'm concerned.

(And, one benefit of it being a currently-produced model: as soon as they're readily available off the rack, I'm going to dismantle its keyboard and see if I can rewire it to swap the functions of the R/S and Enter keys.)

Listen, President Bush isn't stupid. He's a better president than the corruption plagued, scandal-ridden Clinton ever has been. I think that Bush is doing the right thing.

Also, you're wrong when you are absolutely wrong when you try to tie Civil Rights with the so-called "gay" rights. Civil rights and gay rights have nothing in common. The fact that you brought up the word nigger just shows that you're racist deep down and your true colors are showing.

I was just exercising my first amendment rights when I said that the people who I have spoken to, have told me that the 33s looks like a gay calculator. I'm just telling it, like it is.

We're WAY OT, here ...

Quote:

you are absolutely wrong when you try to tie Civil Rights with the so-called "gay" rights. Civil rights and gay rights have nothing in common.

You have NO CLUE about civil rights. They have EVERYTHING in common.

This is my first and last warning to you to quit your absurdly uninformed posting off-topic.

Edited: 25 Feb 2004, 3:07 p.m.

Swapping Enter and R/S would have been simpler with a classic rectangular-lattice keyboard instead of the chevron layout; but I remember Paul had a spray can of black paint... :-)

Yes, I figure if H-P won't build 'em the way we want 'em, let's do what we can to make 'em the way we want 'em.

Swapping R/S & ENTER may be easily done, but labeling the swapped keys -- well that's a different matter. I figure I'll leave the shifted labels where they are (I'll be able to figure it out) and simply scrape the keys bare.

If I go further, I'll swap XEQ and ROLL DOWN. There, it just may be possible to swap the actual keys as well. But if they're connected on plastic trees like in the 49G+ (which is what I suspect), that probably won't work.

But I'm holding myself back until I can easily buy a replacement, should something go wrong . . .

Quote:
You have NO CLUE about civil rights. They have EVERYTHING in common.

Thank you for saying that.

Quote:
quit your absurdly uninformed posting off-topic

Amen.

Hey, Dave (Hicks), how about requiring registration and log-in to keep the trolls out?

I have to say that I agree with Paul, the design is really very usable once you aclimate to it. This is my first 'true' RPN calculator (I've been using the 48 series for years) and I find it perhaps even more natural and easy to use than the RPL calcs. The keyboard itself is really nice, despite the awkward appearance, and functions very well with good tactile feedback. I'd almost place it up there with the venerable old 48SX that I used to get through engineering school all those years ago ( I said almost ;) Since it is, after all, the only RPN scientific currently in production perhaps we should not focus so much on how ugly it is (its not that bad in person, really) but on the fact that it really is a good calculator! While the discussion on aesthetics may never go away, the fact is that is a very functional tool and I for one like it!

The only people who are pro-gay "rights" are those who also approve of the behaviors of those who inhabited Sodom and Gomorrah centuries ago.

Quote:
Sodom and Gomorrah

It was just a short matter of time before this imbecile brought _that_ up. But you know what, Ben? You're not worth any further replies. I don't care what idiotic remarks and pseudo-jokes you come up with, I won't respond anymore.

I'll just ignore you. And I hope all others in this _calculator_ forum will, too, and let us sensible people go on with our on-topic discussions.

Get a life. Good bye, and try to grow a brain.

-Ernie

Your verbal abuse is more a reflection of your own personality and faults.

"If I go further, I'll swap XEQ and ROLL DOWN."

No, no! Swap RCL and Rv instead!

Where is the USER mode key???

[VPN]

Besides the "On" (power) key, but if you cannot find it, just try SF 27... :-)

Maybe "Ben's" sister is a lot smarter than "Ben" is, and SHE was actually using the older, more traditional meaning of the word gay (happy, perky, festive, etc), to describe the calculator. That's actually sort of accurate.

From his other postings in this thread I don't think it would take much to be smarter than "Ben".

Now, can we stop discussing personal sexual preference (I'm sure there are other forums out there for that) and talk about calculators. I'll start with my own small collection:

I have the following HP calculators: HP11C, HP42s, HP32sii (2, one brown one black), HP 48G, HP 48GX (2), HP 33S (2). I like them all. My personal all time favorite is the HP 42S. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart, though, for the 11C, which got me through college and the PE exam, and has been at the bottom of a sewage pump station wet well and has fallen off a two story building. It still works like the day it was made and the HP logo hasn't fallen off in 22 years of use.

The new 33S is a highly functional unit and will almost certainly become my day to day calculator. I also keep a Soviet made Elektronica MK 61 on my desk to "lend" to people. They seldom ask a second time to borrow a calculator from me. The Cyrillic text on the keys tends to freak them out. By the way, the MK 61 is actually a very functional, if very slow, programmable RPN machine.

Now, will someone please pick up the CALCULATOR part of this thread and run with it? I'm tired of people sniping at each other. Of course, if you want to snipe at each other about calculators, I'm fine with that. Thanks.

Take care.

Wayne

Don't feel bad Ben.
I'm in agreement with you.
I guess we can both be "idiots" while
these smart guys strut their stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Op-Amp Gain and Offset Design for the HP-67 Stefan Vorkoetter 6 2,097 12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Tom Mathes
  AMP Rom for 71b PeterP 5 1,885 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PeterP
  should I return the HP35S from Walmart and wait for one from Samson Cables? andrewj 5 1,498 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Ren
  HP-33S Latest Versions at Walmart Thomas Cox 10 2,172 02-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Integration Times "Old" 33s vs "New" 33s John Smitherman 21 5,073 12-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Karl Schneider
  HP33S in Walmart Stores Bob 21 4,120 06-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Ed Look
  Sorry, its off topic, but does walmart sell the 49g+? Harry 4 1,266 03-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Ed Look
  HP33S at Walmart ? Bob 5 1,393 05-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Walmart.com 33s Preorder rob 1 701 04-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Wayne Stephens
  Received Walmart 33s rob 0 610 02-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Rob