CSIM for Palm OS now supports HP-35, HP-45 and HP-55

I've updated my port of CSIM to Palm OS to support the HP-35, HP-45 and HP-55. You can download it from http://one-two-three-four-five.com/palm/csim/.

It should run on all Palm OS devices. If anyone has a Pilot which still has Palm OS 1 on it, i'd appreciate it if they could test CSIM and tell me if it doesn't pop up the Application Launcher like i found when testing with Palm OS Emulator.

I read here often about emulator that runs on "palm" or "handheld PC" or "winCE". I know that the is some kind of modern small portable PC makes by palm and even HP but can you give me some advise about buying one of these machine. I know you will adk the use i expect for this machine, but i can't tell you because i don't really know what they can really do. Are these machine like a "cheap notebook" with less function that take less space.

I was looking at eBay to buy one and wow the prices are from 20$ to about 1000$ !!! If i need to run HP emulators, which make and model are best to buy. Can these beast connect to the net - some have "options" like a modem that tell me that such facility exist.

What about the HP-200LX; can it runs some emulators?

Thanks

A new to new technology...

Michel

Thank you for the emulators. I had no trouble loading and running them on my (rather) ancient Visor handheld, which runs Palm OS 3.1.

Three questions:

1. Am I missing something, or are the programming and timer modes of the 55 not supported?

2. Any way to enable the timer mode of the 45?

3. For nostalgia’s sake, would it be possible to create a version that emulates the original "buggy" HP-35 (i.e. e^(ln(2.02))=2)?

Quote:
Am I missing something, or are the programming and timer modes of the 55 not supported?

They weren't supported in the version of CASMSIM that Jonathan started from. They are supported in the latest Linux release, so perhaps Jonathan can add them in a later Palm release.

Quote:
Any way to enable the timer mode of the 45?

Did you try the sequence STO, ENTER? In the Linux
release, there's a compile-time option to enable that,
but I don't know if it's supported in the Palm port.

Quote:
For nostalgia’s sake, would it be possible to create a version that emulates the original "buggy" HP-35 (i.e. e^(ln(2.02))=2)?

We would need a ROM dump from the buggy HP-35. I have several HP-35s, but they all have the later ROMs.

Peter Monta, who dumped those later HP-35 ROMs
optically (!!!), apparently does have one with old ROMs
which he is willing to let me dump electrically, but I still have to make changes to my ROM-dumping hardware and software before I'll be able to do that.

It all depends on what sort of HP calculator you want to emulate. For the ones i wrote, any Palm will do. If you're buying second hand, be aware that most programs these days need at least Palm OS 3.0 and many need at least 3.5. Palm Os 3 should be enough to run the HP-41 emulators. Power48 (the 48S/48G/49G) needs a Sony Clie with hi-res screen or a Palm Tungesten model.

As Eric said, the version of CASMSIM i based my CSIM port on didn't support the HP-55's programming mode. I also removed the timer code as the Unix system calls used didn't map well to Palm OS and the instruction timing would have been too slow anyways. When Eric's current version of CASMSIM stabilizes, i might re-port it to Palm OS, depending on how much of Gtk i need to port to Palm OS.

If you have rom image of a buggy HP-35, the current rom image used can be replaced.

OK, I confess, I am mystified. You mean to tell me that you can actually SEE a physical manifestation of "0" vs "1" on a silicon chip?!!!

I am astounded (and ignorant of the fineries of this most profoundly influential technology).

Can someone please explain this to people like me: engineers, but not silicon life-forms?

http://www.pmonta.com/calculators/hp-35/

Very cool

regards,

Bill

Jonathan…

Very cool, and thank you. I downloaded CSIM and put it on my Tungsten T this morning. It works great.

Although I don't use them much, I have a working HP-35 and a working HP-55 (no batteries for either, but both work on the AC adapter). The HP-55 was my main machine during my last year of high school and first three years of college (civil engineering)…so many moons ago. My father had an HP-45, but I never used it much, so this gives me a chance to do that.

I would certainly be interested in the timer and programming for the HP-55, but it's not that important since I also have P41CX on my Palm.

If I could make two suggestions, it would be to color the key pads similar to the real HPs and to change the display from black text to red. Those of us with a longing for the LED displays of yore would get a kick out of that.

Thanks again,
Fred

Adding colour should be easy, though not having any HP calculator older than a 32Sii, i probably won't get the colours quite right. If you can view the HP Museum's photos of the 35, 45 and 55 on your Tungsten T, are the colours accurate?

I could probably put in the timer and programming switch, but that time would be better spent on porting Eric's new version. Eric: are you planning on any drastic changes to the 0.21 version of CASMSIM in the next month or so?

Quote:
Eric: are you planning on any drastic changes to the 0.21 version of CASMSIM in the next month or so?

The biggest change coming down the pipe is that the CPU simulation is going to become modular, so that the Nut (41C, Voyager) CPU can be added, and eventually others. This won't involve too much change to the actual code; things will move around a bit, and some functions will be called through pointers in a table.

I'm not sure how long it will take me to complete this change.

The newer GTK+ based versions of CASMSIM might be somewhat less suited to Palm OS porting than the older Xlib based version. I now run the user interface and the simulation in two separate threads. Do PalmOS versions earlier than 6 support threads?

Perhaps I need to make the simulation even more modular than I was planning, to make it easier to integrate in single-threaded ports.

Eric

I admit i haven't studied the new code fully, but it looks easier to port the new version to Palm OS. It should be able to just call the appropriate functions in proc.c in the event loop. You don't use that many functions from glib, the mutex ones can become nops and rest are easy to reimplement.

Palm OS pre version 6 has a multi-tasking kernel (AMX), but no way for user programs to access threads. Mult-tasking can be simulated by patching the OS event calls or setting alarms.

Quote:
I admit i haven't studied the new code fully, but it looks easier to port the new version to Palm OS.

I'm a little surprised, but you're an expert at Palm programming and I'm not. I read the O'Reilly book years ago, but haven't ever actually written a Palm program, and I've forgotten just about everything about it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Writing RPL programs on OS X Sean Freeman 18 5,037 11-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Sean Freeman
  Milestones:List of IEEE Milestones -> HP-35 AlbertTocarLoseggs 4 2,064 11-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Massimo Gnerucci (Italy)
  HP-35 blind buy but buggy! Max Stone 7 2,847 11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Dieter
  Another HP 35 Red Dot on eBay Michael de Estrada 5 2,361 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Last Post: aj04062
  OT: Reversing Sinclair's amazing 1974 calculator hack - half the ROM of the HP-35 Egan Ford 6 2,716 09-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Thomas Klemm
  HP 35 ... 80 Olivier De Smet 6 2,428 08-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Olivier De Smet
  HP 55 Olivier De Smet 8 2,578 08-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  Pilbox speedup on Mac OS X Håkan Thörngren 1 1,124 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Egan Ford
  Update of Emu48 to v1.55 Christoph Giesselink 4 1,875 05-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Andrew Nikitin
  Repair HP 45 Nanoman 3 1,310 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Last Post: BobVA