Paypal scam

Most of you certainly know this issue, but just for the few of us who don't :

I've received an email with this content

Please verify your information today!

Dear Paypal Member.
Your account has been randomly flagged in our system as a part of our routine security measures. This is a must to ensure that only you have access and use of your paypal account and to ensure a safe Paypal experience. We require all flagged accounts to verify their information on file with us. To verify your information, click here and enter the details requested. After you verify your information, your account shall be returned to good standing and you will continue to have full use of your account.

Thank you for using PayPal!

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

The link is redirecting to a paypal-looking site where my card is requested to be confirmed as well as my pin code !

This is of course scam and I reported this to spoof@paypal.com.

If you receive this message, don't fill in the form and eventually report to spoof@paypal.com

Better yet, respond to the request and fill in bogus (but credible looking) inputs.

Fill these scumbags inboxes with thousands of totally useless information sets that they'll have to wade through.

I would BE CAREFUL, when clicking an kind of OK button on a form. The ones that I see that come via eamil, don't ask for a reply. They have a form, with a submit button.

How many times have you clicked an OK button form to install some program from a web site? Often we see these things on plugins and other upgrade type forms.

This particular one just sends info to a bogus site that collects names and passwords but what if that was a ruse to get you to click an ok to install a program on your computer?

Be careful, when trying to play games with SCAM artists. The best course is to ignore them.

Besides, I believe this particular one does not send an email. It executes a CGI file on the server which reads the form. No emails are sent. At least that's the way the ones work that I get.

PS: I always look at the source for these to see what they are doing. [img=http://www.msdsite.com/images/smile.gif]

Edited: 5 Oct 2003, 9:39 p.m.

This form is generated by a http link, and does not ask anything to be installed on your computer.

It is way much simplier than that... bit like "mike, please give me your card#, your csv and your pin code"

Besides I often scan my pc's with adaware... quite impressive tool !

Thibault, I'll second that. I think everyone should have AdAware or some other equivalent spyware scanner.

I hope you have better results than I did. I notified AOL about this outrageous site:

http://www.syisecurity.com

One week later and it's still up.

I got the same message and also reported it to PayPal and eBay about two weeks ago.
All they did was acknowledge my submission with a thank you and a warning to watch out.
I too advise letting eBay and PayPal handle the perps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auction Scam of the Week? Frido Bohn 4 1,936 06-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Mike Morrow
  Paypal problem Don Shepherd 11 2,547 06-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Happy HP User
  Re: protecting oneself from paypal db (martinez, ca.) 11 2,902 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Ruben
  Re: protecting oneself from paypal Jeff O. 3 1,251 02-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Last Post: bill platt
  Re: protecting oneself from paypal Gene 4 1,352 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Gene
  protecting oneself from paypal db (martinez, ca.) 1 831 02-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Howard Owen
  Sure, we're all safe using paypal Gene 15 3,574 12-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Forrest Switzer
  Victim of Scam - dont make the same mistake Phil Nolan 2 1,032 11-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bill platt
  international money transfer WITHOUT paypal, how? db (martinez, ca.) 6 1,751 04-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Bruce Horrocks
  WARNING: New scam Vassilis Prevelakis 3 1,165 01-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Howard Owen