Corrosion in HP67 battery compartment

My HP67 has bluish corrosion around the battery terminals from a leaking battery. What is the best way to remove this? I suspect the gold coating on the terminals is ruined too. Can the terminals be replaced? Are they still procurable? - Thanks.

They can be easily cleaned and they can be replaced. But to replace them requires peeling the label on the back. Since the terminal corrosion when cleaned, is simply a cosmetic condition and can't be seen from the outside, I wouldn't replace them unless there is a connection problem.

Be careful in cleaining them that you don't break them. Corrosion gets on the underside of the contacts as well.

The best source of new contacts is from non-working and trashed 45 or such.

I agree. Does the calc work?

I've never seen one with even some corrosion that didn't have internal corrosion as well.

Others can help me out here, but I think that even minor corrosion should be removed, if possible, so as not to let moisture and time produce more corrosion.

Michael

No, the calculator is dead. The LEDs don't even flicker anymore. I am only keeping it for sentimental value at this stage.

Can anyone recommend what I should use to remove the corrosion? Preferably something that won't damage the rest of the calculator. Thanks.

Personally, I'd not recommend any chemical agents; I believe that'd cause more problems later.

The best bet might be to gently scrape or gently scour it off with something small, if it is a small area. But I would use a bit of plain water, perhaps on a cotton swab or tiny wad of paper towel to wash off any leaked corrosives. Most of the inorganic salts that form or leaked acids or bases should be fairly easily removed by water. After being sure to rinse thoroughly to forestall any further corrosion, be sure also to DRY THROUGHLY, for the same reason.

I recently had a close call with my old HP-34C: a replacement pack of NiCd cells began to leak and slightly damaged the contacts, but a bit of wiping removed the small amount of leaked and corroded material. Of course, toss the leaked cells. The contents of batteries are toxic and corrosive.

I agree that scrapping away corrosion is the way to go. I found a great tool to do this with, a fiberglass brush. The brush can work though any amount of corrosion and sort of disintegrates as it's removing the corrosion so you need to buy refills for it.

Here's the brush:

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/support/catalog/productDetail.jsp?id=SABU10191

and the refills:

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/support/catalog/productDetail.jsp?id=SABU1019210

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP67 eBay auction Cristian Arezzini 3 2,061 12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Raymond Del Tondo
  HP67/97 M.E. Pac cover Ignacio Sánchez 2 1,442 11-22-2013, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Ignacio Sánchez Reig
  50g battery compartment Jan 3 1,506 11-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Derek Walker (UK)
  HP67 motor in HP65 card reader - too slow Harald 4 2,035 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Dave Shaffer (Arizona)
  aOT--Battery/battery contact care advice needed Matt Agajanian 0 1,118 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  Android HP67 - v1.1 posted MikeO 14 3,788 02-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Thomas Okken
  What is that white stuff in the battery compartment? Kees Bouw 4 1,605 02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Ed Look
  HP67 Emulator for Android MikeO 23 5,734 01-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Ingo Paschke
  Corrosion ... best way to remove? Gene Wright 6 1,724 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Ethan Conner
  HP67 for the Android MikeO 17 4,037 05-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Vincent Weber