Blank-Nut On eBay?

At the risk of pulling a "Gene" here, I'm curious why the following auction for an HP-41C OPT-001 has not been bid through the roof over its initial six days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034801541&category=11713&rd=1

Am I missing something here? The seller obviously does not know what he has on his hands. Or is the auction for a clever counterfit? The seller insists that his description of the item is correct, "No overlay or letters on the keys."

Mark Hardman (LED)

For my 2¢ worth, the "clear tape on the bottom and sides" is probably holding the unit together. Once the top posts crack off, it's the standard user method to keep the battery/port connector in contact with the logic board.

In short, unless you are willing to solvent weld it back together, caveat emptor. That is of course if you are fortunate enough to get all the pieces. I doubt it though, as it missing a rear cover, so the broken bits had an escape port :^)

Or, being positive, it could just be holding the battery charger port cover on...

Edited: 15 July 2003, 11:06 p.m.

The tape is too low to be holding the battery port in place. I'll go with your pessimistic view and count myself lucky that I pulled up short on the bidding.

Even a highly collectible piece of crap is still a piece of crap.

Mark Hardman

Looks like it is a legit blank nut. However, I think it's in pretty bad condition.

Well, it is even more weird than that:

He talks about it being a CX, but there's no label on the front it as it's a blanknut;
He talks about 'not having an adapter', but anyone knows how to put batteries in a holder;
I suspect he knows it doesn't work, and is just talking about adapters to make it sound hopeful. In any case he knows more than he's disclosing.

Sorry to sound so distrustful and disillusioned; I've learned my lessons the hard way.

Hi,

I don't think that the calc is a CX.
Look at the bottom label. Every CX I saw so far has the silver CX label with the CX 'ED' short key description.

There's a chance that a blanknut doesn't even have this by default, but there's also a chance that the top and bottom halves of the machine just don't belonged to each other originally.
Or the tape strip is used to hold the label down,
because it may not glue perfectly...

However, the missing front label isn't a sign against a blanknut. AFAIR the ones I saw so far didn't have that label, too.

Raymond

This seller has sold electronics in the past that he could test, even though he was selling the unit only. See http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38331&item=3032060039

Of course N cells are not something everyone has lying around the house.

I had several CX blanknuts. I have only one now. When I got them they don't have the label affixed to the calculator but one came with the calculator so you could put it on.

I think some read the address here, look at the final price... ;-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP41 Blank formulars for program documentation? Wolfgang 3 1,457 02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wolfgang
  A little OT: Blank date fields in 200LX database Dave Britten 1 1,217 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Last Post: Dave Britten
  That's a tough nut to crack... Matt Agajanian 7 2,273 05-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Mike Morrow
  HP-41 NUT Assembler question MichaelG 6 1,755 02-14-2012, 03:35 AM
Last Post: MichaelG
  Why I like the blank overlay option for the 41C, CV, CX & CL and my 41CL final configuration Geoff Quickfall 1 1,093 06-18-2011, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall
  NUT processor NOP's (beginner's question) Diego Diaz 5 1,548 05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Meindert Kuipers
  [OT] Future Calculator Nut? Tim Wessman 13 3,344 02-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Last Post: db (martinez, ca.)
  HP nut CPU and illegal instruction sequences Håkan Thörngren 9 2,503 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Eric Smith
  HP-41C tall nut, full nut 2025Axxxxx close up pictures. Geoff Quickfall 4 1,412 08-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Last Post: fbronner
  Nut processor opcodes Rick Coates 1 1,001 12-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Antonio Maschio (Italy)