HP48GX screen replacement

I have had this precious calculator of mine since it first came out and had the screen crack on me today. I'm wondering if there's anyway to replace this. Would it be cheaper than buying anew 48GX?....

Please help!
Ohneil

Try http://www.fixthatcalc.com/

This guy just put a screen in my 48SX. Fairly quick turn around. So far looks good.

I have checked that www.fixthatcalc.com but the price was kinda unreasonable. I was quoted around $70-$75 which was half of the current price for a new HP 48GX calculator. Is there any other site that is MORE reasonable!?

Thanks

You could try to fix by yourself, if you are skilled with repairs. You only need the LCD screen from an Hp38G or another 48G (you can buy for about $25-40 for either, the 38G can be purchased new for that). However, you will probalby destroy the first calculator you open, so you should wait until you recieve your replacement calc before you operate.

There is no guarantee of your success either. However, Hp themselves used to offer a replacement policy for out of warrenty calculators of around that cost also. Then you would get a new unit (or just like new as it may be a refurb ie returned for some reason or another).

Ph # 970-392-1001 ext. 0

I haven't dealt with for a couple of years (I had a bad 49G, first issue).

Ron,

What is that number(Ph # 970-392-1001 ext. 0) for? Do you know where to get this LCD replacement for that price?

Neil

Finding a bare LCD is difficult. I am suggesting you purchase another less desirable calculator and robbing from it.

The Phone # is Hp's calculator warrenty and repair number. Hp does not make this number very well known, but I believe they still use it. Hp will want you to send in your calculator and $$$ to replace your calculator. The $$$ part changes from month to month, hence you will have to call and find out what Hp charges to repair (actually replace with new) your calculator.

Ron,

You seem to know a lot about this sort of repair for the HP. What advice could you give me to help me be successful with the LCD transplant?.... I have all the smaller size screwdrivers and soldering gun. Is there anything else? Do you know any website to help me do this?.... I'm buying a used HP 38G calculator as the donor. I really hate wasting a decent calculator but I really miss that HP 48GX very much!

Ohneil

There are two ways to get at your screen. I read up on memory upgrades and took a plain old 48G to 128K and found a couple of ways to dissassmble. I drilled out the heat stakes from the back battery compartment and removed my IR lense and cut posts (You have a different IR lens). Then I pried apart. Once apart you will see small twist knobs (I did not go further as I only needed to pull 32K chip and solder a larger 128K chip (a whole other story). These little twist knobs allow you to pull off the main guts and get to the front. You LCD will then be an alignment issue to place back on. Also you will need to be sure your compression pad on the LCD is good as that is a major failure that affects keyboard operation. The great thing about this approach is that IT LOOKS CLEAN WHEN YOU ARE DONE. The downside is my case is not as solid as it used to be (creaks like an old TI). I have other calculators and do not use this one much so I cannot say whether it would hold up to day to day use (seemed okay when I put it away).

Another more direct way is to peel up the front of the calculator to get directly to the LCD. I believe this is also possible and would be much quicker. However, your faceplate will show this attack and look rather shabbly after this operation. Again, you will have alignment issues and lack of proper pressure on the LCD and keyboard traces could haunt you.

There are a few people here who have repaired broken LCD's but I suspect it can be a cumbersome trial and effort experience.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prime screen scratches - Use a screen protector Eelco Rouw 11 3,233 11-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Stylus for Prime screen steindid 6 2,285 10-22-2013, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Alberto Candel
  Sending from graph to home or CAS screen Richard Berler 6 2,228 10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  HP Prime Program: Sampling Without Replacement Eddie W. Shore 13 3,781 10-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Joe Horn
  HP48GX screen replacement Francisco Quiles 9 3,777 10-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Francisco Quiles
  HP48GX Interface to a PC John W Kercheval 7 2,655 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Last Post: John W Kercheval
  HP 2225D+ RAM failure/replacement Luca 4 1,884 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Luca
  hp50g screen weird line Sok-khieng Chum Hun 2 1,569 09-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sok-khieng Chum Hun
  HP 15C-LE replacement still available? Borja 16 5,381 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  Battery replacement HP75C Chris H (UK) 1 1,085 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM