What is the key consumer noticable for HP ?

Although I am a long-term HP user, quasi-collector, and a dedicated RPN fan, I just bought a half dozen TI-36XII's for use in a lab environment that has, historically, been hazardous for calcs. (Yes, I know that it is heresy, but I don't want to fork over a ton of money if the unit will be trashed in a few weeks. Not everyone appreciates the finer things in life!)

My point is, what are the most noticable features that you would need to make you buy something other than an HP if no new models emerge ?

I have to admit that given the number of features on the TI36XII's and the price of $9.99 each, I could easily get along with it if:
1. ...it's keys had more tactile feedback than an over-ripe grape. and
2. ...it used RPN rather than algebraic entry.

...so, for me, it is the feel of the keys and RPN. I have had several calcs for 10 - 20 years and they still work, (TI's included) but if they were even 3X the cost of the calcs I just bought, and included the features above, I would buy a bunch of them and spread them around the house, office, car, briefcase, nightstand, etc. - OK, I made that part up about the nightstand. (I'd buy more if they were the right color - brown!)

I agree, Key feel and RPN are the two dominant features next I would put layout and color scheme. Whats wrong with having an hp by on the nightstand anyway?

I parked an Algebraic there (on the nightstand) just a month ago--to try to slowly acclimatize my wife to the HP way ;)

for me its the keys and display, assuming no obvious function limitations. being palmsized and pocket sized are also a big bonus. other than hp's i also appreciated the build quality of some of the early casios (and other japanese makers). graphing is something of a minus for me, because it means the unit is bigger and i dont really want to do graphs on a calculator anymore.

an interesting question is; what is nicest machine currently still on sale new?

Huh? Of course you need an HP calc on the nightstand!

Why else do the 41 Time Module and the 41CX have the XYZALM function?

Best,

--- Les [http://www.lesbell.com.au]

Apart from RPN and key feel, I would also say the 'pick-up factor' - when you see a classic HP it calls out to you, you want to pick it up and hold it. Sadly, I can't say the same about the current ones - even the Voyager loses some of its attraction when released in a wierd color scheme.

Look. When I bought my first calculator in late 1975 I picked the HP-25 over others like TI's because of its look. I didn't really know what all the specification meant and definitely not knowing the different between RPN and algebraic. May be that's why RPN is easy for me as I didn't know any other way to use a calculator.

Chan Tran, you are three years ahead of me. I had a Commodore.xxxx which one of my sons lost at school. I saw an ad in Scientific American for the HP-25C in 1978 which I bought with some trepidation not having a clue about RPN. What a wonderful surprise!

tm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP Prime - EEX/X/Toolbox-key suggestions bluesun08 2 1,488 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bluesun08
  HP PRIME : strange behavior when trying user key capability Damien 12 3,803 11-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Joe Horn
  HP PRIME: How to use [a b/c] key from a program Joseph Ec 4 1,854 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Joseph Ec
  Roll-down key in HP-15C Steve Ross 6 2,222 10-15-2013, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Nick_S
  HP-15 LE Key repair question Namir 2 1,407 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Namir
  HP calculators: origin of prefix key labels f and g M Habl 9 2,715 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Gerson W. Barbosa
  HP Key Notes Programmes? Michael Lopez 0 920 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Michael Lopez
  HP-97 Key Contact Repair Adventure LHH 0 966 06-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Last Post: LHH
  HP 9826A key switches David Ramsey 3 1,311 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Last Post: David Ramsey
  HP-15LE: Anybody else see double key registrations? BobVA 5 1,715 11-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Jan