HP49G

I have some questions about the new HP49G. I have long been a big fan of the HP41 series, which I called the eighth wonder of the world, but I am not as big a fan of the HP48 series, largely because the HP48's do not have numbered storage registers. It is much quicker to press STO or RCL and a number than to create a access a variable.

1. Is it possible to obtain numbered storage registers on the HP49G? I was told that there is a way of obtaining them with an HP48.

2. Is the HP49G as difficult to learn to use as the HP48? How readable are the HP49G manuals? Are they printed manuals or on-line manuals?

3. Which financial functions are available on the HP49G? I currently use an HP12C, which I think is a terrific calculator.

4. Does the the HP49G's algebraic mode produce the correct result if a calculation such as 4 X 5 + 3 X 10 is keyed in, without parentheses? Many algebraic calculators, including, I believe, the HP19, do not produce the correct result.

5. How does one print with the HP49G?

6. Does anyone have any information of any other new or forthcoming calculators from HP?

Thanks in advance.

1. Is it possible to obtain numbered storage registers on the HP49G? I was told that there is a way of obtaining them with an HP48.

There was a program posted on Educalc site, probably exists on hpcalc.org site to allow numbered registers.

2. Is the HP49G as difficult to learn to use as the HP48? How readable are the HP49G manuals? Are they printed manuals or on-line manuals?

The 49 is very similar to the 48 series in learning curve. The manuals are terrible, but you can use an HP-48 series manual for the RPN functions.

3. Which financial functions are available on the HP49G? I currently use an HP12C, which I think is a terrific calculator.

There is the same as the 48 series, amortization built in, programs for anything else you desire

4. Does the the HP49G's algebraic mode produce the correct result if a calculation such as 4 X 5 + 3 X 10 is keyed in, without parentheses? Many algebraic calculators, including, I believe, the HP19, do not produce the correct result.

Yes, it works with the proper algebraic heirarchy

5. How does one print with the HP49G?

At this point through the serial port

6. Does anyone have any information of any other new or forthcoming calculators from HP?

Not that I know of, but at least they are trying again, the 49 is not a bad calc, but HP can do better with the documentation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HP49G+ and HP49G compatibility Les Wright 17 4,231 06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Last Post: James M. Prange (Michigan)
  HP49G and HP49G+ emualtor Harry 4 1,523 12-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Vieira, Luiz C. (Brazil)
  HP49G+ vs. HP49G, pausing F. Casanellas 6 1,840 09-20-2003, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Ed Look