HP-Prime updates

Hi,

brand-new updates for the HP-Prime (firmware, emulator and connectivity kit):

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

Franz

Note for everyone - recommended way to get them is through the built in check for update mechanism in the connkit or emulator.

This was primarily a release to adress the most problematic issues not requiring large changes or rework to the system. Thank you everyone who reported things to us in various forums or methods. A lot of them you can probably trace and match up quite easily with a specific post here in this one.

My favorite new feature in this update is the new TRIANGLE command. You can pass it entire matrices of vertices, color, rotation and so on to create z clipped 3d objects/surfaces from user programs using basically a single command.

TW

Edited: 3 Dec 2013, 8:10 a.m.

Great,

I've installed it and switched to RPN mode. A very quick inspection of the spreadsheet app didn't yield any crashes. Great!

Looked at the bug fix list and I am impressed with all the bugs that have been addressed!!!

Great work!!! Another step towards the prime replacing my 50G.

Kind regards,

Eelco

Does that mean... Cool 3D graphs in the future???

(Smile)

Eelco

Well, a simple tweak (and much shorter code BTW) to Han's excellent little user program gave a nice 3d graph that rotates ~20fps.

TW

Wow!!!! Is it possible to share the program?

Love it! Nice things to come. Great to see we're another step closer to realizing the full potential of this calculator.

Great work!

Are there any other notable features added?

Kind regards,

Eelco

Sorry, I found a new bug in the new firmware :) The bug does not occur with the old firmware (verfied with the emulator)

It seems to have something to do with the uppercase "E" EEX symbol:
On the CAS screen insert a constant that uses the "E" symbol e.g.
Shift -> Units -> Const -> Physics -> Epsilon0

Press enter. An error message appears which repeats the constant's value.

Playing around with the value (deleting decimal digits, altering the exponent) lead to the insight that the uppercase "E" in 8.8541878176E-12 is the problem.

However: Interestingly there is no problem when I enter e.g. 8.8E33 on the home screen and then switch to CAS and press enter.

All tests were done on a wiped calculator. So it should not be a problem with some special settings.

P.S: It would be very nice if future firmware versions would have the possibility to insert constants symbolic.

Thanks for the new firmware!

So, are you still working on this or is it too late to report any further bugs ?

Also, does the CK backup/restore operation work properly now ?

Edited: 3 Dec 2013, 10:13 a.m.

Hmmh, who uses an upper case E for a lower case [epsilon]0?!?

d:-/

I don't have very much on my prime, just a couple small programs. After updating both the connectivity kit and the prime, I backed up, cleared the prime, and then restored and nothing bad happened. At the end of the restore the prime rebooted and my programs where there and still worked. When I clicked on check for updates on my virtual prime it would not find the update.

What happens when you press the Apps key on your physical Prime ?

I get the apps menu and they all seem to start ok when I point at them. The last app I used was the geometry app and it came up in the graph view with the pointer where I had left it.

No, i think you misunderstood me. The 'E' is the Symbol for 10^x. Like in 1000 = 1E3 or 0.001=1E-3

Maybe I should have taken mu0 instead of epsilon0 in the example to avoid confusion.

Try it out and you'll see what I mean.

The reason I asked is that the problem before was that pressing the Apps key would reboot the calculator. The restore operation worked fine in terms of recovering programs saved through the backup operation.

Edited: 3 Dec 2013, 11:44 a.m.

I found that if you delete the 'E' in the constant and replace it with and 'E' upper or lower case from the keyboard or with the EEx key it will then accept the constant. The 'E' that comes up when you select the constant seems to be a different font than an 'E' entered from the keyboard.

Hi,

I just try some CAS function I often need... I find a bad answer with invlaplace(2/(x+2) + 2/(x+6))...

Prime give good answer if I check simplify "none" in CAS setting : 2*exp(-2x)+2*exp(-6*x)

But if I check simplify "maximum" the prime give a strange :

2*exp(-2*x^3)+2*exp(-2*x) where "exp" is now written beautifully with "e".

I do not despair of seeing disappear this horrible "star" for a nice dot product :o)

The partfrac now works fine even if I check simplify "maximum"

---

Despite all these bugs I would like to thank the entire HP team for their work on this beautiful machine !

Very nice new tool : calendar :)

El CAS sigue sin integrarse al sistema, como es posible que no halla un editor de programas para CAS MODE?

Otro BUG del visualizador 2D, que reporto un usuario de adictoshp.org

tlin(cos(a)*cos( b )) [ENTER] => +( [ 1/2*cos(a-b ), 1/2*cos(a+b ) ] ) ??

Edited: 4 Dec 2013, 9:34 a.m. after one or more responses were posted

I would recommend leaving it on the default which is "minimum". That works very nicely now. "max" is really just equivalment to pressing "simplify" after each calculation.

TW

Edited: 3 Dec 2013, 1:25 p.m.

English???

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5qcNRPLl4&feature=youtu.be

Edited: 3 Dec 2013, 1:37 p.m.

CAS is still not integrated into the overall system. How is it possible that there is no program editor ?

As Tim said in the 2nd message of this thread:

Quote:
This was primarily a release to adress the most problematic issues not requiring large changes or rework to the system.

From Google Translate...

In Nederlands -

De CAS is nog niet geïntegreerd in het systeem, als je een uitgever van software niet kan vinden.

Regards,

John

Hallo Tim,

thanks for the update!

Is it right, that the HOME-Settings have now only 3 screens? Before there were 4 screens, now the screen for wireless kit configuration is lost.

Bye, Ludger

Hello,

Yes, the wireless screen is disabled in this release since the wireless kits (dongles, pc base station) aren't available at the moment for purchase. There were people getting confused with it left in and we just thought best to not have it since it really can't do anything at the moment. It will be back as soon as HP officially launches the wireless stuff.

TW

Edited: 3 Dec 2013, 3:35 p.m.

Tim (Wessman),

Updated the connectivity kit and physical calculator as you suggested.
Worked like a charm. Both CK and Calc show built/software version: 2013 11 25 (5447).

Yet, Check-for-Update in the emulator returns: No update is available at this time.

Should we expect this update for the emulator soon? Or am I doing something not according to Holye?

Tim (Roche)

It is possible the check for update on the emulator (which is a different one then used in the connkit) is hitting the first item in the directory and stopping. I will try to validate this. In the meantime, you can download it directly here.

TW

Edited: 3 Dec 2013, 5:26 p.m.

OK, do you recommend using the CK to update the firmware ? I've updated the CK successfully, and can now use the Update firmware in the CK. I don't want to screw up the replacement Prime.

That is the supported method.

TW

Thanks Tim. Just completed the firmware update and all seems OK. I got a bit of a scare because at the end of the update the CK crashed and Windows gave the message that it wasn't responding and would be closed. This all happened after it had completed and I got the Update OK message in the CK.

Thank you,

I was just nagging ;-)

Google translate is your best friend.

Can you explain the new Ans(n) feature? With 4 levels on the stack in RPN mode, Ans(4) gives me an error.

Edited: 4 Dec 2013, 12:59 a.m.

I liked the first update of the HP Prime :) i hope in next updates they fix the summation limit of 1000. I thought they were going to fix this bug...

Quote:
Hello,

Yes, the wireless screen is disabled in this release since the wireless kits (dongles, pc base station) aren't available at the moment for purchase. There were people getting confused with it left in and we just thought best to not have it since it really can't do anything at the moment. It will be back as soon as HP officially launches the wireless stuff.

TW

In some old presentation you said the dongles will be sold on 20 units. It is that still the way HP will sell the dongles?

How about offering a cheap DIY pack with some pcb-bare-streamsmart (maybe even arduino compatible or RPI to make them viral) and 1 dongle/1 receiver? :D? nothing similar in the HP commercial plans?

Quote:
Hi,

I just try some CAS function I often need... I find a bad answer with invlaplace(2/(x+2) + 2/(x+6))...

Prime give good answer if I check simplify "none" in CAS setting : 2*exp(-2x)+2*exp(-6*x)

But if I check simplify "maximum" the prime give a strange :

2*exp(-2*x^3)+2*exp(-2*x) where "exp" is now written beautifully with "e".

This is a 2-d display bug (missing parenthesis around exp), if you set algebraic display it's ok: exp(-2*x)^3 and if you do further computation it's also ok.

I think n represent the last nth answer in the history, and is not intended as an RPN operation. It allows you to recall the nth answer into the command line for further calculation, rather than tapping the item in the history and copying it manually to the command line.

Hi Tim,

I installed the CK and got the latest update for the CK. How do I get the latest firmware? With calculator recognized by the CK, it only sees the latest CK update, but does not show anything for the Prime's update. Am I doing something wrong?

Look on your hard drive in a directory \Users\your name\Documents\HP Connectivity Kit\Firmware. If you see 5 files, including one named Version_20131125, then the firmware update is already there. Right click on Prime in your CK and then select the bottom menu option Update firmware, and it will perform the update.

If you don't see it on your hard drive, then click on Check for update in your CK, and download the firmware update zip file.

Edited: 4 Dec 2013, 7:02 p.m.

Got it! Thanks!

Where do I go to see the documentation/bug fixes?

Do you already have the User Guide pdf file ? If not, go the HP website and search for the download under the HP Prime heading. I'm not aware of anything else.

In the firmware.zip archive there is a file named release_info.txt with the list of the bug fixes.

Believe it is. Just because something is not specifically called out does not mean that it isn't resolved. There are often several issues with a single root cause.

TW

The emulator now also includes all the latest manuals, and they are linked directly from the menu. That's why it went up from 35 to 70 mb. :-)

TW

Um, the pdf file in my emulator folder says "Edition 1, May 2013"... am I missing something?

Edited: 5 Dec 2013, 8:00 a.m.

Hello Tim,

The manual Version is July 2013 ? right ?

DS

Mine is July 2013. Did you update your Emulator ?

Do you have my Spreadsheet Copy bug on your to do list for the next firmware update ? ;>)

Well, yes, I updated it (tried again just now). It says "no update available".
The firmware revision is 5106.
I'll try updating the CK and see if it helps.

Hello,

If you try again, it will find an update this time in the emulator I think (provided you are actually hitting the FTP). Turns out a file on there was causing it not to find the new one. I've corrected that for the future.

TW

Still no luck for me. I get the usual "Connected" - "Logging in" - "no updates are available" message.
Should I get an error message if I'm not actually hitting the ftp?

What is the name of the file and what is its size ?

You mean the name of the emulator installer? Or of the manual file?

The name of the User Guide pdf file and its size in bytes.

Edited: 5 Dec 2013, 5:04 p.m.

Name: User_Guide_EN.pdf

Size: 6858023 bytes

OK, that's probably the old User Guide, because the newer July version is larger at 7496177 bytes. What I suggest is to download the latest version from the HP website and copy it to the Emulator folder. Delete or rename the old version and then rename the new version to User_Guide_EN.pdf.

Well, not sure why that isn't working for you. You can download the installer directly here which should also update your manuals.

OK, I re-downloaded and re-installed the emulator, and now the software version is the current one, and the manuals are the July edition.
But the firmware is from November; will an updated manual (that includes the changes in the new firmware) be issued soon?

Cristian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ROM updates? Michael Carey 1 1,165 11-20-2013, 02:38 AM
Last Post: debrouxl
  Prime Updates (don't get excited yet) Tim Wessman 3 1,474 09-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Han
  HP 50g: Major updates for MLP / OSE / HLP released Software49g 2 1,392 04-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Last Post: Michael Lopez
  Updates to my hillbilly RPN page db (martinez, ca.) 12 3,477 09-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  Updates to Clonix41.org & USB-41 archives. Diego Diaz 0 913 05-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Diego Diaz
  Emulator updates & HP82240B printer simulation Christoph Giesselink 14 4,138 10-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Nick_S
  Firmware updates for the 49g, 12C+ etc Tommy 4 1,760 09-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Mark Harman
  OT: Casio fx-9860g updates Katie Wasserman 7 2,184 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Last Post: hugh steers
  Updates for i41cxp and 12C Classic for iPhone now available Les Wright 21 5,106 10-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Les Wright
  Updates and strange Finance module behaviour (with HEPAX/NoVRAM) Diego Diaz 14 4,191 09-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Dan Grelinger