Voyager keyboard issue

I've recently acquired a Voyager that has an intermittent keyboard issue. There is one key in particular that often (not always) registers twice when I press it: once on the actual keypress, and then again when I release pressure on the key (seemingly on the way back up). This often (but not always) causes a failure on the keyboard self-test. The problem seems to be more pronounced for a firm keypress than for a light keypress: in particular, if I deliberately press the key all the way down, hold, and release, then the problem usually manifests itself; but if I quickly press and release the key, as I might in a series of rapid keystrokes, then the problem does not generally appear. All other keys seem to work fine, regardless of how I press them.

I'm wondering if anybody more knowledgeable can enlighten me: Is this a common failure mode for Voyagers? Is there any repair or solution, or is this a permanent condition?

Thanks,
John

My first guess (and it is a guess) is that there is a foreign particle of some sort located between the key's disk and the contact on the PCB. It may go away after a careful cleaning. There are various (good) descriptions of how to clean this calculator on this web site. A basic approach is to place the calculator in to a container filled with distilled water. With the calculator standing up so that the water does not reach the display area. Soak for 30 - 40 minutes or so. Specifically, with the unit standing vertically in water no more than two inches in depth. Also be careful to keep the calculator upright when drying it off. Then allow it to air dry for 24 hours or more before testing it. I usually place them in my desktop PC (which has many internal fans) to dry. If this fails you can retry this using a few drops of dish soap (or something milder and cleaner if you have it) mixed in the water. Then soak it in pure water to rinse. Let me know if this helps or if you need additional assistance.

Bruce, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will search for the cleaning posts you reference, read them carefully, and try this method. (As soon as I have a quiet Saturday or Sunday.... :-)

One more question: is it beneficial to remove the back of the calculator before cleaning in this way, or do you leave it in place?

Thank you again for your response!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solver issue with HP 17BII - different from 19BII Jeff Kearns 13 4,475 11-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Don Shepherd
  Another minor Prime hexagesimal issue Jonathan Cameron 1 1,328 11-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  HP Prime Solver Variables Issue Anibal Morones Ruelas 8 2,989 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Harold A Climer
  WP-34S: Little issue with program step indicator Miguel Toro 6 2,277 09-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Miguel Toro
  Concern about Voyager keyboard test Matt Agajanian 2 1,405 08-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Matt Agajanian
  HELP! WP-34S (Flashing Issue) Barry Mead 2 1,390 07-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  Voyager Self Test Mike (Stgt) 5 1,916 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Mike (Stgt)
  HP 50g issue Matthew Richards 4 1,775 04-21-2013, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Matthew Richards
  [wp34s] Minor Issue with Stopwatch on real hardware RalfGeiger 3 2,051 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Eric Smith
  Voyager reproduction logos ? John Robinson 2 1,353 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Last Post: John Robinson