Gene, are you out there?

Sorry for using this forum for this, but there seems to be a problem with Gene's email.

Gene, you sent an email last Friday, asking for a shipping address for the programming cable. I answered the same day. Obviously you did not get that message, since yesterday you asked once more. Again I replied immediately, this time asking for a short confirmation. Now it looks like that message did not reach you either. Please let me know how to proceed now.

Dieter

Hello!

I got messages at my non-hotmail account, but did not get these last ones indicating where you wanted the cable shipped.

I was not sure if you wanted it shipped to the address of the paypal sender or somewhere else.

Try sending an email through the forum AND to my comcast address. Maybe one of them will come through.

I have a pristine HP-48SX that I want to send to my son to use at college. I bought a new connectivity kit from a well known web site. It is HP connectivity kit ver 3.0 part # F1897-84001. Is this the right kit? the cable connects. It is usb at one end and has the correct connector for my 48SX on the other. It is this CD I referenced. Is it widows Xp or 7 professional drver compatible? Both windows are 64 bit. If not are there web sites where the correct drivers can be found where I can download the for my son to use. Also for me I have a 20B which I would like to repurpose to a WP-34S configuration. I am an MD not an EE; so I would like to send it to someone to do this. Also I have noticed that the HP-30B seems to be the more talked about core source. Is there a difference or is it that the 30B is just easier to find? Hope you can help me out.
Dr. M. J. Dorsa

Hi.

The HP48SX can only connect to a RS232C-based port, AKA com port in a PC-IBM compatible computer. Newer Hewlett-Packard calculators connect to USB ports, but the HP48SX do not. As a matter of fact, the S/SX/G/GX/G+ versions of the HP48 can only connect to RS232C compatible ports, along with the first HP49G models. I am quite sure this cable cannot be used with the HP48SX. Unfortunately I cannot be sure about the connectivity software. I'd give this site a try, you'll surely find a com SW suitable for it. I use this one and it works pretty fine.

Sorry not to help you as you need.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 17 Oct 2012, 12:58 p.m.

Regarding the use of a 20B vs. a 30B as the basis for a wp34s, the 30B is generally preferred because of the much nicer (in most people’s opinion) feel of the keyboard. The 20B has mushy keys with no tactile feedback, while the 30B has nice “rotate and click” keys with tactile feedback. I believe that the display may be nicer on the 30B as well, but I do not have a 20B handy to compare. The wp34s functionality is identical on both units, so if you are happy with the feel of the keyboard and the look of the display, by all means convert your 20B.

AFAICS the displays are identical on the 20b and 30b. The keys, however, make the difference as Jeff mentioned.

Gene,

Quote:
Try sending an email through the forum AND to my comcast address. Maybe one of them will come through.

Over the last days I sent three emails to your comcast address (the last one yesterday), and I also just sent another one through the forum. Please let me know if you get at least one of them.

Dieter

Quote:
Regarding the use of a 20B vs. a 30B as the basis for a wp34s, the 30B is generally preferred because of the much nicer (in most people’s opinion) feel of the keyboard.

But it just doesn't have the right color -- it's not black. :-)

Dieter

Hello again,

Quote:

I tried both ways on Tuesday and Wednesday (GMT), all messages have been sent without any errors or bounces. There were no problems with other messages I sent. I looks like there is no way I can reach you by email, neither directly nor through the forum. I have no idea what to do now. Maybe you could check your spam folder?

Dieter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to Eric Rechlin & Gene Wright about HP30b/30b repurposing at HHC2012 Namir 2 1,231 08-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Namir
  Programming cable for hp-30b -> wp-34s Open letter to Gene Nigel Rowe 37 9,410 08-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Guy Dufour
  Paging Gene David Griffith 0 717 12-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Last Post: David Griffith
  Engineering done right: Gene Kranz Don Shepherd 2 1,121 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Hayden
  HP 30b - Thanks Gene and Katie Joe Burwell 4 1,414 05-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Joe Burwell
  Can we beat the 5.81 hours on the TI95 with the HP71B? Gene, Yes we can! Egan Ford 12 3,111 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Egan Ford
  Gene and Richard's HP-45s. Pal G. 37 8,308 10-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Last Post: sylvandb
  RE: 35s sorting routine challenge - Gene's Challenge Miguel Toro 4 1,542 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Miguel Toro
  [for Gene Wright] HP 35S speed Antonio Maschio (Italy) 6 1,740 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Katie Wasserman
  Gene W check yer email [NT] Les Wright 2 1,064 02-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Les Wright