Vintage calculators

Some old stuff. And I don't mean the red-dot 35.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2012/09/awesome-vintage-calculators.html

Lovely! - I actually remember seeing some of those Monroe units when I was a child and visited grandpa´s office :'=

Here's the video from my 2012 HHC talk on non-HP and non-TI calculators...

These are a few of my favorite things

Thanks for sharing :)

Hello!

Quote:
Here's the video from my 2012 HHC talk on non-HP and non-TI calculators...

Thanks for that speech, I watched it yesterday already. You got some pretty little treasures there! But you should re-consider your "no four bangers"-rule, as there are some really cute ones out there. Just to mention a few ones: Aristo M27, Sinclair Sovereign, HP-01 and the CalcuPen also featured on the website above!
And yes, finally someone who has the courage to call eBay eBay and Texas Instruments Texas Instruments in front of Hp afficionados ;-)

I only wish the next HHC conference would be held near one of the European HP or Agilent headquarters.

Regards
Max

Edited: 2 Oct 2012, 5:08 p.m.

I love the Burroughs half way down - it looks for all the world as though they prototyped it using a telephone shell and decided to keep the design!

There are pretty 4 bangers, but the "at least Trig" rule keeps me from being evicted for having too many things in the house.

I did make an exception for the HP 01 however.

Gene,

Sorry that I missed your nice talk - and THANK YOU again for the PLT Prototype! Yes, it triggered indeed a flood of interesting prototypes, this evening I was playing with the "TI-nspire Color" prototype...before I screened the HP Museum ;-))

You mentioned the Aristo M75, not sure if you noticed the M75E on that website (110958501721) - it sports "E"nhanced algorithm with 10 digits precision instead of the 8 digits in your M75.

What I really missed in your wonderful presentation was a Faber-Castell calculator, they manufactured only 5 models (TR1,2,3,4, and X. And they are rarer (180985216237) than your Commodore N-55 ;-))

Hope to see you at HHC2013!

Have a great day.

Cheers,

Joerg

Edited: 2 Oct 2012, 9:27 p.m.

My father used to sell the Monroe calculating machines. When he left the company that sold them he bought the top of the line electromechanical calculator.

Namir

Good morning!

Quote:
There are pretty 4 bangers, but the "at least Trig" rule keeps me from being evicted for having too many things in the house.

Can ist be that your wife and my wife know eachother? But I feel that I'll have to introduce a similar rule soon, if I want to continue to live in peace. But I will rather keep the simple calculators and kick out everything that does not glow in the dark instead. With two or three or four or five exceptions...

Quote:
I did make an exception for the HP 01 however.

And what about the HP 10?

Max

I have just acquired a Sumlock Anita 810, built around 1973. Though a simple 4 function device, this British calculator has idiosyncratic input logic, neat percentage calculation handling and top notch build quality. It is a pleasant thing to pick up and use. The soundness of its solid design makes you forget its near 40 year obsolescence.

The company didn't have the advanced products that allowed HP to hang in and survive the calculator price meltdown of the mid seventies. I found a telling advertisement in a 1973 copy of New Scientist in which a distributor was trying to shift the similar Anita 811 model for 75 GBP (plus VAT)- which was two weeks wages then. Shortly after that, Sinclair started to turn out cheap (and rather nasty) scientifics for less than half the price.

Later, Sumlock Anita did do a nice little scientific calculator in the same form factor as the 811 but the game was up for them and this large manufacturer was wound up with indecent haste by the Rockwell parent company.

Quote:
"at least Trig" rule

I suspect that your rule is more like "at least Trig or TVM functions".

I understand the need for such a rule, mine's:

"pre-LCD era and has to have something interesting about it" with the exception of anything from HP, naturally.

True, but I tend to collect very few TVM machines from back then.

I have a handheld Royal that does TVM calculations with a nice green display (the 94F?) and the lovely Canon Financial Manager LCD model, but the others are few and far between. Just don't grab that many. :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vintage HP 15C with bleeding LCD display Michael de Estrada 1 1,392 10-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Jeff O.
  Another non-HP RPN vintage calculator joins the collection Michael de Estrada 2 1,808 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  Can We Get a Cable Channel Interested in Vintage Calculators? Namir 40 9,157 06-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Last Post: LHH
  [OT] Vintage Coputer Festival East 2012 David Hayden 4 1,453 05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Mike T.
  Expected lifetime and failure modes of vintage 15C? Eric Zoob 30 6,716 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Juan J
  Vintage logarithm round up McAllan 9 2,408 03-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Dieter
  OT: Toshiba BC-1412, fascinating vintage technology Juergen Keller 14 3,803 03-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Andres Capdevila
  Re: Spares for vintage calculators HP-25, HP-27? McAllan 1 1,106 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Last Post: samo
  Re: Spares for vintage calculators HP-25, HP-27? McAllan 0 774 03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Last Post: McAllan
  Spares for vintage calculators HP-25, HP-27? Samo 4 1,530 02-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Last Post: JoeGeller