HP41CX overlays and HP-IL (long)

My first question is pretty basic, how were the blank keyboard templates packaged and sold by HP? I'm trying to hunt some down and thought it would be easier if I had a part number or something. Alternatively, if anyone has a pile....

Second: I'm attempting to "upgrade" my old VW van. (VW's are very hackable) It currently has a mounted tadpole laptop and some assorted connections for sound and cd playing, but I'm thinking of adding an onboard loop.

Regardless of the control device (which will be either a 41 or a 75D or both, be even better if I can find a 75 no D somehwere)-

1. What ideas does anyone have for actual useful stuff to do? I've got ideas for light and accessory controls (this is a "westy", the camper version), some data recording (mileage, gas, oil) and maintenance tracking, and perhpas an interface to stero controls (that's very tough, as I would have to build and HP-IL/IR converter and decode the IR remote, or bypass the wiring for it at least.
While this is all about fun and making the van more worthy, I would like to point to actual uses. And I'm aware that I can do a lot of this easily with PC hardware, but I'm exploring low power use options and smaller scale buildouts.

2. I am not quite at a level to design some of what I want, and I'm not familiar enough with all the hp-il and 41 books out there to know if there aren't some plans for this. I can assemble most anything short of small SMD hardware (I tried, I'm sloppy, or I need a good temperature controlled weller instead of my voltage controlled stuff), and I know the theory of what goes on inside, but that's about it.

3. Not specifically for this project, but as a possible add on, I'd like to know if anyone ever did any work on controlling telescopes via HP-IL. I cna see ways to tie existing equipment into the 48 series, though I'd have to get all the pinouts sorted. (I know some models are controlled by rs-232)

4. Definitely related to this project, is it plausible to make an HP-IL to rs-232 conversion box cheaper than the $200 they seem to be selling for on ebay all the time?

(I've considered HP-IL over repeeater net, too. But I hav e no idea what I'd do with it)

-C

Hi,

do you mean

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2060080903
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2060083489
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2060086094

Best regards

Andreas

good luck on the rebuild - just don't change the sticker on the back window.

nah, the sticker stays. I may make an HP41 sticker to go beside it, though.

The data tracking codebase is fairly simple thus far, I think I'm going to start having that in there and add the HPIL devices "as I go".

Is there any set of plans or documentation floating around to build an RS232/HPIL interface?

Hi,

> Is there any set of plans or documentation
>floating around to build an RS232/HPIL interface?
>

maybe Christoph Klug could be able to answer you on this question...

Regards,

Raymond

Dear Christof,

it seems that Raymond Hellstern gives you the best response !

Much better than the IL/RS232 Interface is the HP82166A IL-Converter for hardware interfacing. For this device I developed two powerfully interface systems called I/O-Board and IL2000 system. Both are battery powered and includes the needed control input/output lines you need for your exotic car interfacing project. Also detailed documentation including HP-41 software routines and hardware circuit diagrams is availlable. Take this proved plattform and finish your application in short time !

Best wishes from Germany - Christoph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last call for 41Z/SandMath Overlays... plus new ones Ángel Martin 0 1,436 12-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Ángel Martin
  Library#4 Modules mass-update and New Overlays Ángel Martin 0 1,221 11-09-2013, 05:55 AM
Last Post: 'Angel Martin
  HP Prime: Long integers (continued) Helge Gabert 2 1,474 11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Helge Gabert
  HP Prime: Pass "Long" Integers to a Program Helge Gabert 6 2,378 11-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Helge Gabert
  HP Prime polynomial long division bluesun08 13 3,550 10-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Last Post: parisse
  Sandmath/41Z overlays Bernd Grubert 1 1,273 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Last Post: 'Angel Martin
  How to move lexfiles from PC to 71 w/o HP-IL? Joe Horn 9 3,201 10-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Christoph Giesselink
  HP41CX: Strange serial #... Stephan Matthys 1 1,132 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Stephan Matthys
  Hand Held Products RS232 to HP-IL aj04062 11 3,365 08-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Paul Berger (Canada)
  HP IL over wifi ... (ILPer & go71b) Olivier De Smet 12 4,003 08-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Last Post: Olivier De Smet