I Feel a Little Dirty

Broke down and bought my son the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition on the school list. At least was $25 Off at Target. I have to wait for him to open and play first. I am now in cahoots with the "dark side"

My son is using a Casio fx CG20. I must confess that I find it really really nice. I'm a fan of HP since more than 35 years (I worked all a summer for buying a HP25 when I was 16...). But the Casio beast is much more intuitive than the last HP 39GII, has a much better display (not only for color but for fonts also) and is much less error prone for a kid. Just a couple of examples the infamous e(iPi) is handled perfectly and if you enter 1/3.10^5 you get the right result (try with the 39 GII). This later example is significant for kids who use 10^x notations rather than EE in real life (at least here in France..)
The 39GII has a lot of potential for sure, and the programming language is great. But a little bit more polishing would made it a true HP of the good old time. Something you can rely on it now and not after some hypothetical firmware upgrades.
Come on HP you can still do better ;-)

the ti 84 has it's uses, such as being a safe place to store extra batteries for your hp48gx

db,

Truer words have never been spoken!!

:-)

Namir

I lay my 84 on my HP manuals to hold them open to the right spot...

And I replaced it with a TI-Nspire CX and don't care about batteries anymore. And yes, the COLOR screen is great and the calculators runs usually about one week between charges. Can't do this with an emulator on a smart phone ;-))

Cheers, Joerg

Dennis, did you notice: The [enter] key is at the right place and double-wide. Why don't you learn LUA and program a nice RPN interpreter?

Quote:
Broke down and bought my son the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition on the school list. At least was $25 Off at Target. I have to wait for him to open and play first. I am now in cahoots with the "dark side"

Got to know: what color? I only wished the SE had more RAM than the regular 84+. (24K each)

I think as for the nSpires, the CX CAS is the best way to go. The plain CX feels... stripped.

Joerg; I'll leave that for Katie, Eric, Hrast and The Trinity. I'll just get one and use it. I keep thinking of getting one of the (what is it?) 83s and downloading the RPN os for it but there's so much else to do.....

At the store there were Pink, Light Grey (Silver?), and Dark Blue. Went with the dark blue. My son said there is a clear case version but that wasn't there. If it was I probably would have got it.

Edited: 5 Aug 2012, 7:58 a.m.

Clear case is a TI-84 Plus (w/o SE) at Walmart:

Regards,

Joerg

DB,

You may have been referring to Lars Frederiksen's RPN program for the TI 89 and 92. Just yesterday, I stumbled upon a Voyage 200 on Craigslist for $40 including the link cable. I had to jump through a few hoops to get it working on the 200, but as anyone who has used this program knows, the results are worth the efforts. I'm especially referring to the way it displays the arguments and results in the stack history area on the left side of the screen.

Since we're talking about feeling dirty, the Voyage 200, with its big screen and landscape design, doesn't feel too bad in your hands (Eww!). In a strange sense, the 200 is kind of like holding a "Voyager-series on steroids" . It even has a vertical Enter key. (Hmm.. Voyage vs Voyager - seems a little too coincidental?)

Oh, here's the link to Lars' TI RPN Interface program.

Matt

Edited: 5 Aug 2012, 1:16 p.m.

The keyboard is awfull. Where is the EEX key ? lol

EE, actually: [2nd] [ , ]

Quote:
At the store there were Pink, Light Grey (Silver?), and Dark Blue. Went with the dark blue. My son said there is a clear case version but that wasn't there. If it was I probably would have got it.

Good choice.

Thanks Matt. I just got a 92+ (recommended to me by MVC earlier this year), so I'm keen to try things on it - RPN will be fun :-)

Edited: 7 Aug 2012, 6:20 a.m.

As the next school year is approaching a number of retailers are offering the TI-84 Plus at a reduced price. For example, in last Sunday's paper there were offers from Wal-Mart, Target and Office Depot. Were there any advertisements for an H-P calculator?

If you have an occasion to do curve fitting you might want to look at your son's TI-84. Among other things it offers a choice from ten different curves, provides a list of residuals without going through a series of predictions entry by entry, and provides an easy methodology to apply weighting.

The face of the calculator is actually glossy black and not dark blue as I had reported before. I'm sure I picked it over the grey/silver because it reminded me of my 50g 8^). However, the high gloss on the TI makes it harder to read. Looks like these are changeable which is definitely a kid focused idea. Actually good marketing idea TI!

A little surprised that the number range only goes up to 10^99 just like when I was in school but then again, when does a kid in school need more than that?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prime: Quick and Dirty AXL Helge Gabert 0 817 10-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Helge Gabert
  I feel like a data miner... Luiz C. Vieira (Brazil) 6 2,052 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Gerson W. Barbosa
  I no longer feel bad... David Ramsey 12 3,248 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Last Post: db (martinez, ca.)
  Now this *really* makes me feel better about HP's moves Howard Owen 10 2,719 08-25-2011, 04:31 AM
Last Post: bill platt
  Forced to buy a TI-89 for school....I feel dirty Jimi 23 4,796 09-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Dave Britten
  In praise of dirty calculators-- again. Michael Meyer 34 7,919 02-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Joerg Woerner
  In Praise of Dirty Calculators Michael Meyer 2 1,195 11-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Vieira, Luiz C. (Brazil)
  Dirty 31E Hal Bitton in Boise 0 808 03-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Hal Bitton in Boise
  How do you feel about the 50g? designnut 42 9,663 03-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Martin Pinckney
  48GX feel vs 50G martin 7 1,843 05-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Last Post: martin