Calc recommendation / 39gII?

I would like to ask for some advice and feedback.

I'm looking to purchase 2 kinds of calculators.
I am a (small) entrepreneur in the tech sector. This means that when I'm not at a computer (using Excel, Wolfram Alpha or Windows Calc), that I always have an HP12C (what a great thingy!) and a scientific calc (usually TI) with me.
I would like to lighten the weight of all this, but still have financial and scientific calculation power. I don't use smartphones.

So I'm looking for:

1) a very pocketable scientific/financial calc (the gold medal would be something that handles both financial & science math).I would like to have something smaller than my present combo (high school scientific & HP12c) that's always in the briefcase. I've seen that there are hp12C clones in other form factors, but they don't have all scientific functions and can't be found in Europe.
Is there something that is like the proposed µCalc from DaveJ?

2) A top of the line graphing calc for when not using a PC. My TI84+ is very nice, but the graphic is a bit slow, there is no "pretty print", and its integral functions are very basic.
I liked the TI89, but I was thinking that perhaps the HP50g is better. I especially like that there is a big stack and RPN as I like to see all the numbers so I can "play" with them. (I have never tried one). Although the majority of the time I use my TI84+ which I know inside out and with my eyes closed, I think a RPN is a good addition.

The Nspire models seem very nice (I haven't used one yet), but I'm afraid that the workflow is too slow (worksheets etc,). I like being able to punch in my operations directly. Any input on experiences with those calc is welcome (though it seems that they have new models almost every year?)

Is the new HP39gII in the league of an hp50g (minus RPN)? The little information out there makes it look like a powerful grapher.

At present I have:
HP12C & TI BA+ pro, TI84+ SE, several high school scientifics from Casio & TI, and I'm going to buy the DM-xx-cc line when they are available.

and I have played with
HP32sII, TI89.

Hello!

Look no further than a Ti Voyage 200. It is quick (and there is even a "speed-up" module awailable if that's not fast enough) and has a proper QWERTY keyboard. Easy to program in Basic, the manual is hardy ever needed. I prefer it over the nSpire, mainly because of the display and the keyboard. The only comparable Hp calculator is the Hp-50g, but with RPL as programming language I won't touch it (only for the purpose of adding it to my collection).

Regards
Max

Quote:
the gold medal would be something that handles both financial & science math

For a calculator that has both financial and scientific functions, the HP-10BII+ is worth a look. It does not have RPN, but does have a choice between "algebraic" and "chain" mode.

The 34S project (you reflash an HP 30B) will do #1. So will a vintage used 27s--it is a scientific AND business combined.

For graphing you either go the HP route, vintage or not (48G GX etc) or new (50G) or you go to something else.

No need to reflash - the 30B on its own will do just fine for #1

For a very pocketable scientific, I'd recommend the 15c LE, especially if you already like the 12c. I also like the 15cc. Really small and light, and perfectly serviceable for the occasional calculation. The keyboard on the first models is problematic, though.

The high-end graphing calculators (48G, 50g, Voyager 200) are much too large for me to take with me on the road, and at home or at work, there's always a laptop at hand. A nice compromise between power and portability is the Casio fx-9860 slim. It's a folding design not unlike the original Nintendo DS. Quite a powerful little machine to always carry around.

Those are very good suggestions. I did not know about those calcs, or even that there was an improved opensource firmware!
The HP30b indeed seems to do everything, but I'll also buy a WP34, it seems so complete.

Regarding nr 2, perhaps it's too soon to talk about the 39gII as it's just come out. I imagine their could be some fun (RPN) firmwares there as well.

I've thought about that, but I'll play with a DM15cc first (when they are available). In any case, the HP30b suggestions seems to be the best of both worlds: a 12c and 15c in one.

Quote:
... but I was thinking that perhaps the HP50g is better. I especially like that there is a big stack and RPN as I like to see all the numbers so I can "play" with them. (I have never tried one).

If you would like to try the 'feeling' of a HP-50g, I have an emulator on my website - it's a complete package, just unzip and run:

http://fhub.110mb.com/HP/HP50g.zip

And I also have an emulator for the TI-Nspire, so you can test how it works (it has a 'Scratchpad' for usual calculations and graphics, so you won't need all this 'worksheet' stuff at all):

http://fhub.110mb.com/TI/NspireEmu.zip

For the Nspire emulator you only have to download the OS/ROM-file from the TI-website as described in the included 'Readme.txt'.

Franz

Hi Franz,

Is the HP50G emulator on your site any different to the EMU48/49 emulator that Christoph Gießelink developed or just an updated version?

Thanks,

Michael

Edited: 17 June 2012, 9:06 a.m.

Hi Michael!

Quote:
Is the HP50G emulator on your site any different to the EMU48/49 emulator that Christoph Gießelink developed or just an updated version?

No, it's in fact the same emulator. The only thing I've changed is the internal registry key (to Emu50 instead of Emu48), so it won't conflict with my other emulations.

And I've improved the skins so that you can even directly click on all shifted key-functions, and I added my own horizontal layout (the one that looks like a camcorder) which fits on a netbook screen.

Franz

Edited: 17 June 2012, 9:52 a.m.

It's a no brainer to try a 30b, since it can be had so cheaply these days, but I don't think the 30b is a 12c and a 15c in one.

I wasn't particularly fond of the menus on the 17BII, they turn operations that are one keypress on a 12c into half a dozen keystrokes. And on the 30b, the menus are even more inelegant because of the dreadful display.

It's very easy, though, to avoid the menus for things like pi and inverse trig functions by writing very short programs and assigning keys.

I know this recommendation does not meet your stated requirements, but if you could borrow an iPad for a day or two you might be surprised.

You can leave your calculators, laptop, and briefcase at home.

Downside? - don't forget your charger.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 7:01 p.m.

Quote:
For a calculator that has both financial and scientific functions, the HP-10BII+ is worth a look. It does not have RPN, but does have a choice between "algebraic" and "chain" mode.

Excellent choice in this case!

Quote:
...if you could borrow an iPad for a day or two you might be surprised.

You can leave your calculators, laptop, and briefcase at home.

Even better...one of the popular new smartphones with 5.3-inch display (and no sour Apple association).

I have an Android phone and tried a few (very good) emulators in it. They're really nice, but for actual use, I can't really do without a phisical keyboard. I often enter data quickly without even looking at the keyboard (or at the calculator), just using my finger to "sense" the keys. Try doing that on a touch screen! :)

I've tried Android, which I find the best OS, but I simply do not like touchscreens. Phones with qwerty I have looked into, but am waiting it out. Then there is the issue of battery life.

I've now tried the 10bII+, and it died within 2 days, I will ask for a refund. The 30b is ordered and looks promising. As said, I will also order a WP34s for fun, they look sweet (thanks to the emulator, else I wouldn't be so sure).

I also tried the nSpire CX emulator. This is superb. Can't believe they only cost as much as a ti83 did. I'm not entirely sure about his one though, I'm already splurging cash with the first 2 purchases.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gathering USB dumps for Connectivity Kit <-> 39gII communication... debrouxl 2 1,629 12-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  New firmware for HP 39gII Mic 6 2,776 11-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Last Post: DeboT
  HP Prime: Recommendation for future RPN Program Mode BruceTTT 3 2,103 11-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Last Post: BruceTTT
  HP Prime vs. 39gII Connectivity Kit Marcus von Cube, Germany 3 1,699 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
  [HP 39Gii] - Bug report Jean-Michel 1 1,588 08-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Tim Wessman
  hp 39gii lcd clear question giancarlo 7 2,635 08-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Mic
  wp34s calc to calc communication Andrew Nikitin 1 1,141 07-29-2013, 01:57 AM
  integration on 39gII emulator Wes Loewer 29 6,771 06-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Chris Smith
  HP 39gII considered annoying, part 1 Pete Wilson 6 2,198 05-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Gilles Carpentier
  Anyone got a 39gII and doesn't mind memory loss? bhtooefr 4 1,709 05-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Last Post: bhtooefr