[WP-34S] Unhandled Error? Not sure.

Marcus,

Some time back we discussed a possible memory corruption or "lost" pointer. I can't give you a RAM dump as my communication is not working that way yet, ref. the other thread.

Can you reproduce this ("D" in alpha and in data regs as well)" result from an unhandled error on your machine? Or am I mistaken in which case I apologize for raising a false alarm.

RESET
100 STO J
10 STO K
ENTER
hPROB NORML_u
hPROB NORML_u

Second time gives Domain error and RCL K,J give "D" and in Alpha.

Now, I am not saying that my input makes sense but is there an unhandled error in there somewhere? Or is this what is supposed to happen?

Chris

Chris,

it's definitely a bug.

For Pauli: xIN is nested here. A trace will reveal the circumstances.

Yes, missing RTN :-(

- Pauli

Gentlemen,

That settles that one.

It is interesting to watch your time zone response points. Have you guys slowly over time somehow inadvertantly synchronized your wake hours to the least disruptive common team denominator?

Anyway, thanks for looking into it so fast.

Chris

Just out of curiosity. Other than doing a RESET is there another way of recovering from that bug or does it have bite?

Quote:
Just out of curiosity. Other than doing a RESET is there another way of recovering from that bug or does it have bite?

Yes, the other way is downloading the current version. :-)

Everything has been updated today: SVN, Windows emulator, QtGui version!

Franz,

Thank you, will do.

And thanks for your team work.

Chris

PS: I was wondering just how long it would take you guys to eliminate such a decadent error in order to re-acquire personal psychological equilibrium. (I jokes). Obviously not long!

It worked!

Merci.

Chris

PS: What's this QtGui stuff all about?

Edited: 2 June 2012, 2:57 p.m.

Quote:
PS: What's this QtGui stuff all about?

It's a different emulator compile. For Windows it looks almost identical to the usual emulator of Marcus, but the QtGui emulator is also available for other OS: Linux and MaxOSX.

Edited: 2 June 2012, 3:06 p.m.

It depends on when the error is reported. I've only time on weekends at the moment (and not at every weekend). To eliminate the bug was a joint effort: You reported it in a reproducible way. I could actually reproduce it in a tracing configuration (emulator and emulated printer) which identified the root cause which was in turn fixed by Pauli. When I came back home I just had to update everything on SF. Done! :-)

Marcus,

Thanks. I gathered that it was something in that direction. You guys are a great team!

Chris

PS: I'm now eagerly looking for the manual 3.1.3103 with some communications information. I hate dis-synchronization like 34S showing 3.1.3103 and the manual shows 3.1.3101. Ahhh, I'm pedantic this AM especially since I'm not the one fixing it ...

Have a good weekend all of you!

Quote:
I'm now eagerly looking for the manual 3.1.3103 with some communications information. I hate dis-synchronization like 34S showing 3.1.3103 and the manual shows 3.1.3101. Ahhh, I'm pedantic this AM especially since I'm not the one fixing it ...

Continue looking ;-) As stated in README, the build number of firmware and the one shown on the title of the manual may differ (and will do so almost always). The difference will not, however, exceed 100.

Walter,

I see what you mean ':<{{

So I continued looking as so instructed and found v3.1.3104 already.

Seriously, with so much attention to detail your manual may one day ascend to the level of industrial art not unlike that of Andy Warhol's.

Thanks.

Chris

Edited: 2 June 2012, 9:56 p.m.

Quote:
So I continued looking as so instructed and found v3.1.3104 already.

But that's a 'dis-synchronization' again: now the manual is 3104 whereas the software is still 3103. ;-)

Franz

You force me quoting it :-/ Right in the middle of ...\doc\readme.txt, there's stated:

Quote:
The displayed revision numbers in the VERS screen may differ between the manual, the flash image and the emulator(s).

Who has learned reading, read!

Edited: 3 June 2012, 5:06 a.m.

Quote:
Who has learned reading, read!

Well, I know this!

My answer was just because of Chris's "I hate dis-synchronization". ;-)

Boys,

All I want to do is to play with my WP-34S. Why is this becoming increasingly difficult in this environment?

My nerdy instincts occasionally throw a fit when I see confusion, however. As you gather I hate disorder; it is a sign of a decadent lifestyle. Now, Walter can do anything he wants including explaining or not what the relevancy is of the number 100 apart from the digit shift. Unless Walter describes, should he so decide, the measuring rod for which maximal change is allowed under each of the 99 edits, even the every 100 doesn't make any sense. May I suggest you all go back to your Kindergarten bookshelves and re-read Einstein's Introduction to Relativity for the Little Layman particularly the chapter about measuring rods (i.e. those pages not yet cut open).

Meanwhile I've moved on to the String Theory which is a lot of unproven bull.... there aren't 56 parallel universes, there are 99. Just ask W..... no I won't go there. It is Sunday morning after all and I have been told to behave myself accordingly.

Chris

PS: Anyone remembers the musical My Fair Lady? It rhymes well with:

The cars are built in Germany ... The functions are built-in.

Can any of you find the five Easter Eggs? Hint: I guess the edit # just increased.

Edited: 3 June 2012, 12:59 p.m. after one or more responses were posted

Chris, don't you tease an Austrian! ;-) Those mountain folks may be a bit slow but become dangerous when getting wild ... Fortunately for us, there's no Imperial Austrian Navy anymore [;-)

Quote:
Fortunately for us, there's no Imperial Austrian Navy anymore [;-)

But don't forget the High-Tech Austrian Air Force! ;-)

You guys are lucky. Being land-locked has huge advantages. For one, you have not been discovered by Christopher Columbus.

This Spanish gone Italian explorer proclamed his discovery of the Western Colonies despite the fact that upon landing he was unable to read the Viking Language Stone Marker inscribed as:

Welcome to America! Now go home!

Being multi-lingual was obviously neither in fashion nor profitable at the time.

Chris

Quote:
Being multi-lingual was obviously neither in fashion nor profitable at the time.

Is it today?? Looking around you, I'm not sure about the result.

Au contraire, Mon Amie Mess. Walteur, I see everyone as being multi-lingual except I. Actually, I do speak a little Eskimo.

Chris

Quote:
Au contraire, Mon Amie Mess. Walteur, I see everyone as being multi-lingual except I.

Hmmmh, so at least on speaking terms Alaska seems to be one of the most advanced states of the US of A ...

Maybe picky (or pedantic as you call it), but AFAIK you should take care of French genders and English grammar - and be a bit careful with the word 'Eskimo'. SICNR :-)

Walter,

Never quite trusting my Eastern Front I was expecting v3.1.3109 to be posted while we were all pre-occupied here. It must be getting close to half past midnight over there so I will stop bugging you.

I just finished an hour long ride on my mountain bike and I passed a lonely Musk Ox on my way. It's been hanging around for a few days. It's wise to do that as the grizzly bears are coming out looking for just such a loner.

Maybe tomorrow I'll look into the comm. trace for Marcus. But first I will have to look for my Musk Ox friend.

Chris

Mr. Musk Ox should be relatively safe. I believe that Alaska's most malignant grizzly family now lives in Arizona.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WP-34S] Unfortunate key damage with update to V3 :( svisvanatha 5 3,127 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Les Bell
  WP-34S (Emulator Program Load/Save) Barry Mead 1 1,763 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  DIY HP 30b WP 34s serial flash/programming cable Richard Wahl 2 2,455 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Barry Mead
  MS advert shows spreadsheet with obvious error BruceH 3 2,146 11-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Bill (Smithville, NJ)
  WP 34S/43 ?'s Richard Berler 3 1,997 11-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  My FrankenCulator (wp-34s) FORTIN Pascal 4 2,089 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Last Post: FORTIN Pascal
  WP 34S Owner's Handbook Walter B 5 2,584 11-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Harald
  wp 34s overlay and programming. FORTIN Pascal 6 2,837 11-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Nick_S
  m.dy in display of WP-34S Harold A Climer 3 1,899 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Andrew Nikitin
  WP 34s : An old problem coming back Miguel Toro 2 1,694 11-05-2013, 03:00 AM