A still missing feature in WP-34S (please read on)

The WP-34S is an incredible project, surprising me almost everyday with new features, accuracy and optimizations. It's indeed a RPN user dream made true! And now, it even support IR printing!

But one feature is missing from its HP-41 and 42 heritage. A prominent one, as important as to be assigned a permanent postition in the 41 uncluttered faceplate...

I'm talking about BEEP, and its sister function TONE. Would it be possible, for the people developing small daughterboards, to include the little circuitry needed to drive a piezo buzzer? I assume that BEEP and 10 standard TONEs will take little code space and reasonable development effort .

Even ALARM may be supported, leveraging already available timing functions (alas, power management may be a big issue here, so it may be too hard to include this last idea).

Just my AR$ 0.10

There is a pinned out timer still I think, so some audio output would be a possible addition, at least theoretically. Likely needing a transistor and a resistor or two to provide enough current. We definitely wouldn't limit ourselves to 10 tones, although I'm not sure what exactly would be implemented. BEEP is harder to justify, it is four instructions to implement as a keystroke program.

Doing this would use up one of the few external lines pinned out so something else would likely not be possible.

ALARM isn't going to fly though. At least not with the current architecture.

- Pauli

Quote:
We definitely wouldn't limit ourselves to 10 tones, although I'm not sure what exactly would be implemented.

In keeping with the "everything and the kitchen sink" philosophy of the WP-34S, I suggest that the end result will be an enhancement pack that looks a bit like this. ;-)

laughed out loud :-)

Thanks, Bruce! Learned another idiom :-)

For size reasons, we are a bit limited however: minimum (!) frequency will be some 850 Hz if we stick to your proposal ...

Hate to add a sour note but I doubt you'll convince the team to add Windows to their design. OK, I'll pipe down now...

I've been wanting to make a wooden one of these for a while. Just have to convince my wife we've got the space.

- Pauli

I've always enjoyed the Blue Man Group and their instruments, especially the ones made of plain white PVC pipe. Wish I could build a pipe organ out of that, with a whole bunch of clicky solenoid valves.

Then, of course, put its controller on HP-IL so my 41CV could play it. Teaching it Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (BWV 565) would be a "hoot". (sorry)

And like you, Pauli, I have NO idea where I'd put the thing. Maybe in the atrium at work for employees to play at lunchtime...

Dale

Quote:
Then, of course, put its controller on HP-IL so my 41CV could play it. Teaching it Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (BWV 565) would be a "hoot". (sorry)
I did some of it on the HP-71 in the late 1980's, one voice only, with the NOISE LEX keyword. I called my musician sister and left a message on the answering machine. The tape cut it off before it was done and didn't leave enough time to talk at the end but she knew who it had to be anyway and roared with laughter.

Wow - the NOISE LEX file! That was written by my brilliant co-worker at HP at the time (ca. 1985), Steve Williams. You can see some of what he's done outside work at:

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/aboutcafe_cafeboard.php#steve

He was a whiz with his HP-71. Great guy. Much like many that I've met via this forum.

Best to all!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WP-34S] Unfortunate key damage with update to V3 :( svisvanatha 5 3,128 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Les Bell
  WP-34S (Emulator Program Load/Save) Barry Mead 1 1,764 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Marcus von Cube, Germany
  DIY HP 30b WP 34s serial flash/programming cable Richard Wahl 2 2,456 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Barry Mead
  [HP-Prime] - Missing confirmation before deletion Jean-Michel 11 3,590 11-14-2013, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Thomas Radtke
  WP 34S/43 ?'s Richard Berler 3 1,997 11-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Walter B
  My FrankenCulator (wp-34s) FORTIN Pascal 4 2,089 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Last Post: FORTIN Pascal
  WP 34S Owner's Handbook Walter B 5 2,586 11-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Harald
  wp 34s overlay and programming. FORTIN Pascal 6 2,837 11-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Nick_S
  Prime feature request Stefan Dröge (Germany) 0 995 11-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Stefan Dröge (Germany)
  m.dy in display of WP-34S Harold A Climer 3 1,900 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM