[WP34S] Underlying format of manual.pdf v3.1?

Walter,

I was hoping to extract certain of your excellent schematics into a Windows Phone Word based Compact Interactive Reference Guide; I was planning to start with the page 96 schematic and then bookmark the entries to the specifications in page 48+.

I can't convert your .pdf to .doc so the question is, do you have your own reference manual in Word format or do you create directly in pdf?

There is just no way I can make a better manual. You did an awesome job and I can appreciate it being highly laborious with the never ending minute details and pleasing graphics. Your manual works perfectly on my tablet with seemingly all interactivity at play.

Chris

Edited: 20 May 2012, 2:41 a.m.

Walter is using Word but even the other team members don't have access to the original source.

Do you have Adobe Acrobat (the "full" version) or access to it (i.e not just the universally available, free, reader)? It will let you export images in graphics formats (GIF, jpeg, TIFF, etc.). Does that help? You could then make your own word document.

Marcus & Dave,

Thanks for the information. I am aware that there are commercial translaters available at a price beyond my range. The objects like .jpg, are copyable, of course, but I need to keep the entries in a searchable text mode. I want the functions listed alphabetically indicating the shortcuts and then by touching the entry it would bookmark to the more detailed section.

Not until I started on this help system did I ever imagine how much work and consideration goes into a high quality manual. It may be more beneficial to me at least to just keep working with the unit and learn the catalog's structure by memory. And not to forget to mention how much work and logical thinking the three primary team members of Marcus, Walter, and Pauli have been presented with by this A+ WP34S project. Thanks to you all.

Of course, having the pdf manual on my tablet changes the equation somewhat. There is no substitute for the entire manual as everything Walter put in there is relevant.

Chris

Edited: 20 May 2012, 12:07 p.m.

Chris,

Thanks for your further kind words. If I had known the amount of hours spent beforehand, I dunno ... It's not like sitting down and writing a manual - many paragraphs have been edited many times over and over again in parallel to ongoing development.

Quote:
I was planning to start with the page 96 schematic and then bookmark the entries to the specifications in page 48+.

That would mean some 500 text marks plus the same number of links, the latter from the catalogue pages. Pretty boring work. And AFAIK MS Word I'd guess that would bring it to its limits. Thus I'd vote for skipping that. BTW, did you notice links are implemented from the specifications in the index to the respective catalogue pages already? And as long as you know the alphabet ... ;-)

As I did explain here some months ago, I like to focus on the contents and typography (which is some fun for me at least and thus one motivation factor). I'm not keen on ironing out the errors of other people - enough work to get rid of mine ;-)

Quote:
I'm not keen on ironing out the errors of other people - enough work to get rid of mine ;-)

Don't remind me I have to go to work tomorrow.... ;)

Me too...but with an iR printing 34s beside the 81, it will be fun :-)

Comparing the respective TVMs outputs will be even more fun!

Etienne

Walter,

I agree with you in every aspect of your entry and I did notice your interactive links. Your answers are exactly why I wanted to copy your links. And I do not mind receiving suggestions back from you at all since you have much more insight into this project than do I; which is, obviously, the exact very reason for why I go on the Forum to benefit thereof. Yes, had team known beforehand what they got themselves into they may have had second thoughts.

In an earlier entry Pauli aired the concept of an alphabetical sort of global catalog, which I referred to as the gCAT, with entries similar to those we use in internet browsers by keying in a few first characters. That would solve most of my problems at least. But I think that discussion may be DOA due to the programming efforts required on top of everything else.

In conclusion, I have decided that I really need your entire document on my tablet at all times as my needs and experience level change continuously. And thanks for all that work and thinking you put in this magnificent manual.

Until I receive my cable and become flash capable I'm kind of out of the evolutionary loop, however.

Thanks.

Chris

Quote:
Me too...but with an iR printing 34s beside the 81, it will be fun :-)

Am I correct in deducing that you use an HP-81 at work? That's amazing, I'll bet that you're the only person in the world doing so.

You are correct.

1) My trusted 81 for serious work :

2) One of my 80s for mobile work :

You can't see the 41CL on the pic but one of my 34s here connected through USB to the PC.

I use IR printing at home. For work, the 81 is sufficient :-)

Sorry for the yellowish pictures.

Cheers

Etienne

Edited: 21 May 2012, 1:13 p.m.

Very nice collection there!

I've been trying to work out from the picture what you do for a living. But haven't come to a conclusion yet...

Hmmmm...let's see...one hint on the red folder...one hint is the black device...

Here is an additional picture with more hints :-)

Have a nice evening.

Etienne

Ok, got it :)
Wasn't sure befor, although the walkie talkie was a strong clue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WP-34S] Unfortunate key damage with update to V3 :( svisvanatha 5 3,128 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Les Bell
  Prime: how to detect date format giancarlo 1 1,453 12-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  HP 50g - displaying result in engineering format Sean Freeman 10 3,158 11-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Last Post: C.Ret
  HP PRIME: Fixed 4 number format 0.001000 Joseph Ec 18 5,157 11-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Geoff Quickfall
  PRIME: re-format the flash drive to recover the operating system Harold A Climer 2 1,688 11-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Michael de Estrada
  File Format: hpprgm Thomas Chrapkiewicz 6 2,554 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Thomas Chrapkiewicz
  go71b 'lexs' or 'raws' file format? Christoph Giesselink 2 1,370 08-21-2013, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Christoph Giesselink
  Typo in wp34s PRINTED manual (not pdf) Barry Mead 3 1,641 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Walter B
  Typo in wp34s Manual Barry Mead 12 3,157 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Paul Dale
  wp34s Manual Page Reference Barry Mead 1 1,055 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Walter B