OT: CASIO SL 110

Hi all! Found out today, after a move, my old CASIO calculator.

this is the one my company provided me when I begun to work 30 years ago, in place of my own scientific calculator (the Hp25c at that time), to work on the site. My duty was at that time to localize faults on telephonic cables underground and organize the repeairing job (digging, replacing, jointing and what else..). no complicated calculations were need, but a calculator which was more "pocketable" than my own and simpler to use, friendly for my colleagues too (no one of the people working with me was used to operate in RPN notation). The problem of this LCD display calculator was when operating in absence of sunlight (actually often) so that was requested always the help of a torch (a led display was for that reason more suitable, but I avoided any dicussion, at that time).
Anyway after the personal history of this object, here's the problem: the "-" key doesn't work, at all, the calculator was forbidden in a box for many years and when it happened to touch it the only test was to switch it on/off, so that I don't know how long it lied faulty. The first thought was a problem in the flat cable which connects the display to the keyboard, but it seems that only the "minus" operation does not work, so that I changed my mind and I decided to remove that key, thinking to a localized bad contact, dust.. and I found what you can see in the pictures below.

I don know if I made it removing with a xacto knife the key or if this is is simply the reason of the fault, what do you think about?

Thank-you for your interest and any advice is ofcourse, wellcome.

Aurelio Traverso

Edited: 2 May 2012, 2:35 p.m. after one or more responses were posted

Quote:
fiendly

Unintentionally cute: I'm sure you mean "friendly"!

It was the RPN that was "fiendly" to them!

Quote:

Unintentionally cute: I'm sure you mean "friendly"!

It was the RPN that was "fiendly" to them!

Oh, thanks, it is sure "friendly" (I just edited my post) what I mean, apologize for my mistake.....

Edited: 2 May 2012, 2:35 p.m.

Yesterday I found the time to investigate and find the cause of this problem.
I need to compare the faulty key with a workin' one, to understand how it works. Before to open (cutting all around the edge of the keyboard, I just partialllly removed the ":" key for a local comparation, while thinking about the best and safest way to open entirely the calculator...it fell down on the floor (I was sitting).......I thought:
"defenitively broken, the case is closed....."
NO! the calculator now works great and perfectly!!!
Now of course it will kept under observation, but, most important, it works!

I remember my first oboe's theachers, when years ago I asked the secret to obtain a special "vibrato" sound, I expected to be answered with a technical advice, but he told me "with the heart, boy, with the heart.............."

Edited: 4 May 2012, 4:35 a.m.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENG button (like Casio calculators) on HP Prime uklo 3 1,960 11-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Last Post: LHH
  [HP Prime] Request: re-execute history like CASIO classPAD serie 300/400 CompSystems 1 1,310 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Last Post: CompSystems
  OT: Does anyone have the new Casio Classpad fx-CP400? Eddie W. Shore 4 1,772 08-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  Casio fx-CP400 emulator (90 days trial) Mic 2 1,725 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Last Post: critor
  OT: RPN port to Casio fx-cg10/20? Matt Kernal 4 1,911 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Last Post: hugh steers
  Casio fx-CP400 preorder for Europe ! Mic 3 1,435 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Mic
  OMG : NEW Casio calculator with color !! Mic 23 5,259 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Eddie W. Shore
  OT: Casio Fx-702p emulator pascal_meheut 15 3,996 09-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Last Post: pascal_meheut
  A temporary "fix", the Casio Prism (fx-CG10) LHH 5 2,004 08-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LHH
  OT manuals for Olivetti Logos 9 & Casio Fx-191 Brackett 0 1,012 07-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Last Post: brackett